Old June 17, 2009, 01:13 PM
Top Prospect

its a tough little thing thats for sure
Old July 21, 2009, 07:44 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptn Vortex View Post
Interesting that your XP worked so well. I installed XP on mine, both XP Pro and Home, and tried NTFS and FAT32 formatting. No Matter what I did, it was FAR too slow for me. I think it may just be that the 8GB SSD in mine is significantly slower than the 160GB HDD in yours. I also isntalled 1.5GB Ram total.

So far I have installed Ubuntu EEE on it, and it is quite nice. Everyhting works except the Wired LAN port... still cant figure out how to get it to work...

So my advice. Get the HDD version. Or, if you go for the SSD version, use the supplied Linux or give Ubuntu EEE a try.
I got an 8GB SSD AA1 for my GF on her birthday a year ago this thursday. It was the first week they arrived in town. I already owned EeePC models 702(8G) and 900 and was waiting for the Atom-based 901 to be released when I saw the specs for the AA1.

It looked good on paper with an N270, 945G, 1024x600 LCD and 8GB SSD. The 512MB of soldered-on RAM seemed much too small, but they said there was an empty slot to add another gigabyte.

What they didn't say was that it required removing the mainboard and voiding the warranty. I had a couple of spare 1GB DDR2 SODIMMs left over from upgrading my EeePCs and had figured I could just open up a RAM door and drop one in. No such luck.

I was also shocked by a total lack of Windows drivers. There was no disk supplied and nothing on the Acer website yet. Luckily someone had assembled all the drivers from the original device manufacturers and posted them on a filehosting site and posted links on a forum.

My Eee900 with its 4GB SLC primary SSD and my 702 with its 8GB SLC SSD had taught me to be conservative with my C: drive (full WinXPpro non-nlited well under 3GB) and the AA1 had two cardreaders so I installed WinXPpro/SP2 to the SSD and kept program files, docs, etc on a 16GB Adata class6 SDHC.

I was stunned by the terrible performance. I had never imagined the possibility that they'd use an MLC SSD as primary boot drive. I'd swear the SDHC was faster. We called it the "little computer that could" (I think I can, I think I can) because it took so long to boot up, shut down or launch apps, but eventually it got the job done.

It made me feel pretty crappy because she could see how much faster my EeePCs were. Eventually I lent her my 900 and got an 8GB 288x CF and ZIF adaptor to do the Jkkmobile storage mod.

Shame on Acer for using such a crappy SSD as a boot drive. If you can handle an oldfashioned second-millenium-style mechanical HDD, or plan on using Linux, by all means get an AA1. Otherwise I'd recommend another make with a faster SSD or get a book with a 2.5" SATA HDD and upgrade to a real SSD (as I did with my Asus N10J) or better yet, get a book without storage or OS and add our own SSD (as I did with my Everun Note).
Old July 21, 2009, 08:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboToronto View Post
What they didn't say was that it required removing the mainboard and voiding the warranty. I had a couple of spare 1GB DDR2 SODIMMs left over from upgrading my EeePCs and had figured I could just open up a RAM door and drop one in. No such luck.
That has been rectified in the new models. I got to fondle one a couple weeks ago and it had at least three removable panels on the bottom.
Old July 21, 2009, 08:44 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJunky View Post
That has been rectified in the new models. I got to fondle one a couple weeks ago and it had at least three removable panels on the bottom.
I'm fairly sure the hard-drive based one that my mom has does as well.

I think there's a reason why Acer only sells the SSD model with Linux. It's because that SSD just isn't able to run Windows.
Old July 21, 2009, 10:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

it will run xp you juat have to run steadystate and all the tweaks my wife has the old one. you still wait a while for boot but it works. but i would not recommend the old one. the new one has panels for easy upgrades.
Old July 22, 2009, 07:52 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
I think there's a reason why Acer only sells the SSD model with Linux. It's because that SSD just isn't able to run Windows.
No kidding.

Old July 22, 2009, 09:10 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboToronto View Post
No kidding.

lol wow, thats worse than I expected. USB flash drives are just as fast...