Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Member Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 19, 2008, 05:11 AM
Top Prospect

Default COD World At War : Watch out for the Nazis!

This is posted by me so if you have any suggestions I will apply them to the future reviews so yeah I will me immediate action to your suggestions this is mine (Bhargav's) not Ryan's ;)

Another World War II game published by Activision. Call Of Duty World At War is a First person shooter game which isnít very different then older installments of the Call Of Duty games.

As I said before the story is based on World War II. COD World at war will spotlight on the final battles of World War II which means the fights between US, Japan, Germany and Soviet Union.

Gameplay

Call Of Duty World At War is a bit different then older Call Of Duty games. You will be fighting with your AI buddies but there is an online multiplayer CO-OP feature so you can play with your junkie friend and complete a mission. You can also complete an objective using multiple ways. Meaning you can use your brain and mix up your own tactics to beat those damn opponents. This brings the game to life when you are playing with your friends. The AI isnít bad at all, they will help you allot during the game. The game will be introducing you to the older technology. Those crappy old guns that I love so much. The sound of the weapons/grenades are different so we have a feel that this technology was alienated a long time ago. You can access and unlock various guns which I thought was really cool. I can also pick up those Japanese guns. That feature was really helpful because there is no need to reload in those tight situations. That sick ass feature of attachments is included the game. You can attach stuff like scopes and Grenade rifle. The shitty thing is that, No Armour. But it is fixed by their fair health system. When you get shot, you can stay out of the fire and you will gain health overtime. A minute ago I said that you can access and unlock various stuff. There is a singleplay mode where you and your four buddies can play in a house and fight against an army of Undead germans. You can gain points and put up planks etc or you can go and get your self cool shit for the singleplayer mode! This all is great but I think they could have covered allot more in the game.

Source: Talkplaystation.com

Multiplayer

The multiplayer is tediously based on the COD4 : Morden warefare. There are various perks and guns you can unlock. You can access a different range of attachments and also modify your vehicles (Add perks such as Speed perk, rotation of the cannon on the tank etc). The rank system has not changed very well but all of the unlocks still makes you want to play allot and get to higher level. Why the heck would I want a perk to get more speed when rotating the cannon? Well there is vehicle combat in the game! You can access tanks! There are six modes. War, Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, Headquaters, Domination, Capture the flag, and Free-for-all.

Controls

Controls arenít changed at all from any FPS game. The controls are same as Call of duty 4 controls. This is really helpful for those who have already played the game. For those who havenít, the controls arenít hard to grasp either. Basically, if you played an FPS game you are going to do really good.

Sound

Sound was really great in the game. The sound of those oldie guns sounded realistic. The background music was really sick. I did noticed something though, when you are playing in multiplayer the sound of you hear while you play and the sound you hear in the kill cam is different. It makes it sound realistic and as if the one was shooting from far.

Call Of Duty has earned it self a burning 4/5

Please visit ZiikuTV for more ;)

Hi Chris! - This is just so he believes its my work.

Last edited by ziikutv; December 6, 2008 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Wanted to prove that my post on Chris Pirillo's site is not copy.
Old November 19, 2008, 08:15 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziikutv View Post
[
Sound was really great in the game. The sound of those oldie guns sounded realistic. The background music was really sick. I did noticed something though, when you are playing in multiplayer the sound of you hear while you play and the sound you hear in the kill cam is different. It makes it sound realistic and as if the one was shooting from far.
I don't usually comment on other reviews but this is just dead wrong. If you are using a dollar-store speaker system, you won't be able to tell that the gun sounds suck harder than a Shop Vac but for the love of God, buy some real speakers and LISTEN.

Someone completely forgot the bass track when programming the weapon sounds in this game to the point where it sounds like you are shooting spitballs.

Sorry for the harsh criticism but I love WWII shooters and this one gets almost everything right EXCEPT the sound.
Old November 19, 2008, 08:56 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Looks like a pretty awesome game overall, I have to ask for it for xmas hehe
Old November 19, 2008, 09:07 AM
Hall Of Fame

Yeah, sorry. Weapons sounds have been brutalized in this game. In fact, many of the guns' sound remarkably like my .177 pellet gun. As pathetic as it sounds, I kind of hope they address this in a future patch.
Old November 19, 2008, 09:21 AM
F@H

My System Specs

What platform did you review on? Because the pictures are from a Playstation.
Old November 19, 2008, 10:30 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I agree with the weapon sounds. The guns sound like sheet metal banged with plastic forks.

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old November 19, 2008, 10:49 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I also don't agree with the AI comments come to think about it.

Your teammates have a "stand up and shoot" mentality while the enemy are a bunch of one-eyed retards who wouldn't know a wounded comrade from a begging dog. Personally, I love idiotic enemies since I am damn lazy and would prefer if their shots wouldn't hit me while I am staring at the scenery. On the other hand I can't stand it when you blow one guys eyeballs through the back of his skull with your peashooter (aka sniper rifle) while the other guy stares aimlessly into the foliage.

Not only that but how in the heck does every enemy find and is able to throw back almost every grenade you threw into a bush, in the middle of the night? X-Ray vision?
Old November 19, 2008, 11:00 AM
Allstar

I finished single player on my Xbox 360 the other night and it led to the Zombie bonus level which is tough as hell. Not sure if the Zombie level has an end though because I keep getting killed by them
OCZ SOLID 3 SSD|Seagate 1.0TB
2 X EVGA GTX 460 in SLI
Old November 19, 2008, 03:28 PM
Top Prospect

I played this game on Ps3 and PC I found the PC version allot funner because I am a PC guy. The pics are taken from another sites because my pc is crap it wouldn't like me recording fraps.

The sound do suck thats why the game got a four star mate. But it was interesting how it the sound of the gun was varied.
Old November 19, 2008, 04:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I don't usually comment on other reviews but this is just dead wrong. If you are using a dollar-store speaker system, you won't be able to tell that the gun sounds suck harder than a Shop Vac but for the love of God, buy some real speakers and LISTEN.

Someone completely forgot the bass track when programming the weapon sounds in this game to the point where it sounds like you are shooting spitballs.

Sorry for the harsh criticism but I love WWII shooters and this one gets almost everything right EXCEPT the sound.
Or maybe bad ears ? ;-) Anyhow, this is the first thing that I let them know about, apparently the devs are fully aware of this and have no intentions of fixing this So you'll have to PRETEND they sound better than a fisher price immitation gun :)

Tags
game , gaming