Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Member Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 12, 2008, 06:38 PM
Top Prospect

Default Left 4 Dead Review

Left 4 Dead is a first person shooter, all about killing zombies, released by the well known developers at Valve, and powered by the mighty Source engine. The game is to be released November 18th, 2008, and I suggest you get your hands on this Zombie slaying action game

Game Play: 10/10
The Source engine is back, and it’s kicking ass on so many levels! I feel they nearly perfected the engine, and delivered game play, which I think was exactly what they we’re aiming for. The game features a system called the “Director” in which the music, zombie spawns, character communication, effects and much more is all controlled dynamically, which means you’ll never play the game twice, no matter how many times you play it over. This game plays a lot like Counter-Strike, even the crosshair is very similar, but it’s been polished with next gen graphics and power! In the game you take control of one of four survivors, and your buddies can join in too for the greatest online/offline co-op game ever, even if you don’t have friends the A.I. is fairly competent, and usually can hold their own, until you get up to the highest difficulty setting. You and the “Survivors” battle through hordes of zombies, in attempt to escape the infected city, and stop only to replenish health, ammo, and guns at “Safe Houses”, which is really only a room and a nice iron door, between you and your gruesome death. Basically, this is a re-mastered Counter-Strike Zombie Mod and then some. That last sentence was kind of vague, so I’m just going to straight up tell you, this game is freaking sweet.

Story Line: 8/10
The story is pretty much the basic “survive-the-zombie-infection” type game, but none the less, it works very well. The characters are very believable, and you almost feel like these other survivors are real people! Anyways, I’ve always been a fan of zombie games, which all have pretty much the same story line, and this game is great too, specially because of the game play, because there is no other zombie game like this. Over all, the story line is solid, but the focal point is really the game play.

Graphics: 9.5/10
The graphics in this game are great, but not as good as other games like Crysis or Far Cry 2. Like I said earlier, they kind of like a next gen counter-strike zombie mod! The zombies look really good, and so do the other character models, along with the textures and the maps. Really, this game is beautiful, and there isn’t much more to say.

Setting: 10/10
This games setting really takes the cake! They portrayed the Zombie infested city, excellently and without error at all. This place is a mess, blood every where, abandoned cars, and run down dirty buildings. All though the game isn’t very scary, as much as it is fun, the settings can get really creepy, and feel like they are right out of a horror movie. All in all, this game has a great setting, and they did exactly what they were trying to with it, by making you feel like the survivors of this horrible zombie infection. Good luck, living sucker!

This game also leaves me with the thoughts that a new Counter-Strike is very possible and I think it would be a very logical thing for Valve to do, just think about how much money it would make, and how sweet of a game it would be, after seeing how beautifully the Source engine preformed in Left 4 Dead. I think you all know now, how much ass this game kicks. So grab your shot guns, m16, snipers and Uzi’s and go kill some zombies. C’mon, you know you want to. GO BUY THIS GAME!!! (November 18th)

- Written by Ryan Martin, ZiikuTV

See the actual article, with pretty pictures and everything! @www.ziiku.com
Old November 12, 2008, 07:14 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the review. I'll be getting this for sure, as I love killin' me some zombies.
MAIN: i5 3570 @ 4.5Ghz wH100 / evga GTX780 SOC / MSI Z77A-G45 / 8gb G.Skill 2133 1T / 30" 2560x1600 / Antec P280 / PCP&C 950w / Intel 520 SSD 240gb / Eclipse / G3-Lazer / z5300 / Win7 Pro64 / APC Xs1300
HTPC : nMedia6000B / AMD X2 4400+ / M2A-VM / Corsair 4GB 800 / LiteOn Blu-Ray / 8800GT / Samsung 46"LCD / 2x2TB / OCZ500 / ATI550 / Wrless Kbrd & Rmte / z-5500 / Win7Pro / APC700
"You must be the change you want to see in the world" 
- Mahatma Gandhi  
Old November 12, 2008, 07:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah I had this game pre-ordered for a long time already. I am loving the demo.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old November 13, 2008, 09:08 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

A review on a game that isn't released yet... seems a little premature don't you think? I think it's going to be a great game, but maybe save the review for a full release.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old November 13, 2008, 10:07 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

This is the second time you have 'reviewed' a game that is not released. Specifically with L4D having only released roughly 1/3 of a map and only one of the three game styles? If you intend to do a review website (as I see you are) you are only hurting the perception of your site and any chance of gaining a proper foothold on the web by pumping out these types of 'reviews'. Sorry to be negative but I would prefer to wait the extra 5-6 days and see a complete and thorough review.
Old November 13, 2008, 10:46 AM
Rookie

All your reviews are far too short. I'd like to see a much bigger body of each review with what you have right now as a summary at the end. You've certainly read good reviews before, the question is, why don't you write longer reviews? If you enjoy each game so much, it shouldn't be a problem.
Old November 13, 2008, 01:31 PM
MVP

My System Specs

what they probationer and tsincaat said, If your gonna do a "review" on a demo list it as a first impressions or something like that.
also stop stealing pictures from other sites, one you l4d review on your site has pictures of a level we can't play(with a pcgames watermark) and one with the gamespot watermark, you lost any respect that I had for you.

Last edited by EaGle1337; November 13, 2008 at 01:52 PM.
Old November 13, 2008, 02:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I agree, try to make it more of a Preview and not a Review. When you have the game, do your own full review. Take your own benchmarks, take your own screen shots. Anyone can just suck info off the web. Glad to see you are trying though, and after some work I think we can get you where you want to be!

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old November 13, 2008, 02:59 PM
Top Prospect

All of those "premature", short reviews are done by Ryan Martin.. My friend.. I am Bhargav Patel.. I only do the reviews I have a good feeling about.. I am the site editor.. I don't know why he posts shit on demos but I don't want to piss him off either..

I have only done two reviews. And got great response..
ZiikuTV Blog Archive Far Cry 2 : Should’ve brought bug spray
ZiikuTV Blog Archive Lego Batman : Save your city with building blocks!

Those are the only reviews I have done. I am much of a hardware guy instead of a gaming guy.. I have to manage the site, post all the threads every where.. Put thumbnails, images, and flash.. so yeah I am too busy to write reviews. I will show Ryan this thread.. So he gets the point.
Old November 13, 2008, 03:02 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziikutv View Post
All of those "premature", short reviews are done by Ryan Martin.. My friend.. I am Bhargav Patel.. I only do the reviews I have a good feeling about.. I am the site editor.. I don't know why he posts shit on demos but I don't want to piss him off either..

I have only done two reviews. And got great response..
ZiikuTV Blog Archive Far Cry 2 : Should’ve brought bug spray
ZiikuTV Blog Archive Lego Batman : Save your city with building blocks!

Those are the only reviews I have done. I am much of a hardware guy instead of a gaming guy.. I have to manage the site, post all the threads every where.. Put thumbnails, images, and flash.. so yeah I am too busy to write reviews. I will show Ryan this thread.. So he gets the point.
Still as a site Editor you are reliable for what others post... I didn't like your far cry 2 review tbh you didn't mention any of the problems people had with multiplayer.

Last edited by EaGle1337; November 13, 2008 at 03:08 PM.