Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Member Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 8, 2008, 04:34 PM
Top Prospect

Default Mirrors Edge Review. ZiikuTV

For get everything you know about action games. Mirrors Edge is an incredibly original parkour inspired first-person-action game, being released THIS MONTH!!! (November 11th). If you haven’t heard of this game, you are EPIC fail! The concept is stunning, the game play is incredible and the setting is beautiful. Not often the gaming industry is graced with these “history-in-the-making” titles, so go reserve this, as I expect it to sell out FAST.

Game Play: 10/10
Oh, My, Gosh. Can I even begin to describe the ground breaking originality and awesomeness that belongs only to Mirrors Edge? This game is based on Parkour, a “free-running” sport, where basically people try to do insane stunts, while running all over the place, in a set path. There is no obstacle. Did I mention they pulled it off BEAUTIFULLY? The concept for this game is almost unimaginable and seems impossible. It feels like a first person assassin’s creed on steroids! The movements flow beautifully and realistically. Warning though, your jaw might drop at some of the wild jumps and maneuvers you do as you run along walls, do what seems to be impossible jumps off one sky-scraper to the next, and using an arsenal of karate-like punches, kicks and disarms to the police and who ever try to get in your way, while running through this fantasy world that is Mirrors Edge.

Graphics: 8/10
The graphics in this game are great, and are fine by today’s standards. There’s not as much texture as there could be, actually, the graphics kind of resemble that of Portal’s. I think they we’re looking to make the buildings and stuff very bland, clean and “conforming” adding to the atmosphere of the corrupt government “do-as-your-told” world. The emphasis is really on the game play, and not the graphics, even though they are very pleasant on the eye.

Story Line: 9/10
You take on the roll of Faith, a runner who carries out missions for “clients”. I’m not going to say too much, as I’m sure people don’t want the game to be spoiled, but I can assure you, this game is deep. (And if you really do want to know what the story is about, Google is your friend).

Setting: 10/10
They portrayed this world perfectly. The game takes place in what seems to be a big, lively city, but you soon find out evil can be found in the most wondrous of places. You can really feel the corruption, the “conformation” of this city, just by looking around. Big corporate sky-scrapers littered almost everywhere, become your path way to freedom, in this highly monitored, government controlled world. The setting has been beautiful crafted and displayed.

Over All: 10/10
Complete originality. This game is a totally new take on first person action, and a breath of fresh air. I can’t wait till this game hits the shelves, and if you guys have an Xbox 360 or a PlayStation 3, then you can go download the demo, and jump into the immersive world; Mirrors Edge (But only for one level, considering its the demo *crys*). This game is an instant classic.

- Written by Ryan Martin, ZiikuTV
www.ziiku.com
Old November 8, 2008, 04:57 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

This review is based on the Demo?
Old November 8, 2008, 07:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

But let's wait for the FULL game - I always like to review games that I played and finished COMPLETLY, not just based on a demo.
Old November 8, 2008, 08:45 PM
Top Prospect

its written by my frind he told me to upload ever post on my favorite forums. I told him that! but he doesn't listen
Old November 8, 2008, 11:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziikutv View Post
its written by my frind he told me to upload ever post on my favorite forums. I told him that! but he doesn't listen
What I usually do when writing reviews on a forum I mention it is a FIRST impression review and mention that it is based on a demo - nothing wrong with an early review - but I know by experience that sometimes you might end up with a disappointment when you play the FULL GAME - After all the demo is just a fraction of what the game is - and maybe they picked the best level who knows.
Old November 9, 2008, 08:42 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKStar View Post
What I usually do when writing reviews on a forum I mention it is a FIRST impression review and mention that it is based on a demo - nothing wrong with an early review - but I know by experience that sometimes you might end up with a disappointment when you play the FULL GAME - After all the demo is just a fraction of what the game is - and maybe they picked the best level who knows.
Yes agreed! We will do that from now on. I really liked your advice :)