Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Member Reviews (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/member-reviews/)
-   -   Far Cry 2 : Should’ve brought bug spray (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/member-reviews/11255-far-cry-2-should-ve-brought-bug-spray.html)

ziikutv October 27, 2008 05:55 PM

Far Cry 2 : Should’ve brought bug spray

Far Cry 2, a beautifully created game which is developed by Ubisoft Montreal. Far cry 2 was released on October 21st 2008. This amazing game supports PC, Xbox 360 and Playstation 3. Game is not a sequel to Far Cry and Crytek has nothing to do with this game what so ever. The game is completely designed by Ubisoft Montreal.

http://ziiku.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/capture.png

Engine
The Canadians have made their hands quite dirty with the game engine. After Crytek having no interest in the game franchise, they have made a completely new engine for Far Cry 2 named Dunia. Every thing in the game was planted on an open and dynamic environment which means there was no concept art needed! There were some really attractive things in the game for example the RealTree Vegetation feature. The Real Day to night lightning feature was also remarkable.

Graphics
The looks of this game are truly amazing. In fact, if you consider graphics a big factor, man! You should play this game for PC. You will require a high quality graphic card with direct x 10. But its all worth it! The graphics are pushed to its limit in the PC version. The way the grass is moving, the water ripples, the textures in stones everything is just really well designed. The game’s graphics are even making Crysis look like a joke. The RealTree vegetation system is well made. RealTree Vegetation system is basically interactive plants. You cut where you hit, You burn it down, you brake when you shoot. Everything is realistic. Have you ever seen a forest fire? It starts from a little spark, just a little spark is capable of burning down a whole forest. That feature is added in the game. You just light the grass how you light up your cigarette and just in seconds you see clouds of smoke building up, trees burn down making this game really realistic. Just the way we like it!

http://talkplaystation.com/wp-conten...enshots-01.jpg

Sound
The sound effects pretty good in the game. The gun shots sound realistic they varied from different types of guns. The background sound adds a new excitement to the game. When there is action in the game, when you are shooting down allot of men, getting shot or when you are surrounded, the music changes and the tempo is really fast. The background music is well interpreted you can feel the Adrenaline. There could’ve been some songs added to the game, since its an FPS game it never gets too old to hear some rock music as you are killing a man.

Controls
The looks of this game are truly amazing. In fact, if you consider graphics a big factor, man! You should play this game for PC. You will require a high quality graphic card with direct x 10. But its all worth it! The graphics are pushed to its limit in the PC version. The way the grass is moving, the water ripples, the textures in stones everything is just really well designed. The game’s graphics are even making Crysis look like a joke. The RealTree vegetation system is well made. RealTree Vegetation system is basically interactive plants. You cut where you hit, You burn it down, you brake when you shoot. Everything is realistic. Have you ever seen a forest fire? It starts from a little spark, just a little spark is capable of burning down a whole forest. That feature is added in the game. You just light the grass how you light up your cigarette and just in seconds you see clouds of smoke building up, trees burn down making this game really realistic. Just the way we like it!

Single Player
There are Nine different characters in the game. Every single one of them are playable and the other eight which are not picked by you, feature in the game as your Buddies or just a game character. There is only one thing in common in those nine characters. They are mercenaries and their mission is to eliminate The Jackal. Jackal is an arms dealer in the game. He sells the weapons to both, APR and UFLL. This game turns into a sandbox type of game after you have completed the training. The player is able to pick who is their co-worker and who is their enemy. The player is able to pick how he wants to process a mission. For example : You have to take out the police commissioner. You decide to go to the station directly and kill the target. It does not matter. You could meet your buddy who will help you solve the missions in variety of ways. You could even do the missions stealthy and tactically. The player can use different types of weapons. Thus, choosing a right type of weapon would help you allot. This is a new twist. It adds that RPG kind of factor where you have to know what you are doing before you actually do it. The game is not made in different levels but is made in a huge African province which spreads across 19 sq Miles (50km2). Instead of having minimaps like other FPS games. The Far Cry 2 team has made physical maps to add more reality to the game. These maps are really amazing. You can never get lost when you have these babies! The game has a real Day to Night cycle and a dynamic weather system. Thanks to the realistic Day to Night system, player can pick when to do a certain mission. If you like being sneaky, you could do any missions at night just by going to bed. 1 Minute = 5 Game minutes. The singleplayer has allot of realistic features. I mean doesn’t it sound realistic when you have to use your GPS system to find diamonds! Or when you get shot you have to take out the bullet? How about taking pills when you have Malaria? Weapons have some realistic features also! Sometimes as you are shooting down enemies with your AK-47, you will curse because, your Ak-47 is jammed! The texture of the gun are also dynamic, they get rustier and appear as if they are worn out over the time. The reality goes on as you are running and you shoot a tree because you are bored.. you see that the branch breaks where you shoot/cut. Its all dynamic. Don’t forget fire! Fire plus grass equals perfect. Thats my equation! I hope it makes me pass math this year. Anyways, you could use things like fire to distract your enemies. There are animals in the game. You could even use them to distract your enemies. But don’t get too close! The enemies arn’t that stupid. They’ll know you are around if they see zeebras running! The game has allot of herbivores animals to make the game more realistic. I mean what would be Africa like without allot of Zeebras and buffalos running around?

http://www.gamepro.com/microsoft/xbo...188448-2-1.jpg

I said earlier that, “The enemies arn’t that stupid.” that was said for a reason. Sometimes when you are near a guard post and you are couched and you are right before the guard! He does not see you. Sometimes, they will just stand and get shot. There are some glitches in the game. But I won’t complain too much because the game is absolutely amazing.

Multiplayer
Maximum of 16 players in a game.
No Split screen multiplayer.
Dynamic features are still available
Easy to use level editor. Make, share, and play! Really fun.
Vehicles available.
Four types of matches. Capture the Diamond, Team Deathmatch, Uprising and Deathmatch.
Players can get on higher classes (6 Classes), Upgrades, unlockable weapons, EXP gained by killing other players.

http://ziiku.com/wp-content/uploads/.../mapeditor.png
http://ziiku.com/wp-content/uploads/...classgrade.jpg

Written and Edited by : Bhargav - Owner of Ziiku.com.

ANY SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOMED. Checking out our site would be nice :rtfm: ZiikuTV

Scart October 27, 2008 06:56 PM

Not bad, could have used some proof reading though.

ex."The Canadiens have made their hands quit dirty with the game engine."

misterlarry October 27, 2008 09:10 PM

Would be a great review if it fit the HWC website screen. Don't like to scroll back and forth for the start and end of every line. Good start though, and I would look forward to seeing more. Thanks.

:biggrin:

Squeetard October 27, 2008 09:26 PM

FYI, UBI bought the rights to the Far Cry franchise when they first agreed to publish it for them. Crytek decided to go out on their own and could not take the rights with them.

DK2 October 27, 2008 09:29 PM

Farcry2 rocks! 50% FPS, the rest evenly split free roam (GTA), RPG, Strategy.
Move over Crysis......

Squeetard October 27, 2008 09:32 PM

Yes it does, so many cool touches to the game.

I winged a dude with the sniper rifle. His buddy crawled over from cover and fireman carried him back to safety.

I came around a corner and ran smack into a Baddie. He was totally unprepared, as I was, the look of surprise on his face and the way he started fumbling for his weapon was priceless.

muse108dc October 27, 2008 09:37 PM

I ended up buying this game, despite the DRM, at least you can get back installs right?

Well, I hate the vehicles, yes, i'm going to go 100miles/hour off road. And i'm going to get to my top speed in a few seconds. These are not top of the line supercars on a hot sticky race track. That and they handle like toys.

Guns are reasonable good.

Travel gets boring, so do the instant respawn guard posts, as do the repeatative missions. You want a new gun, go blow up a convoy (admittedly the killing convoy missions ended up being some of my favorite, the protect the barge is by far my favorite though, so far)

Some of the trailers said there would be 1000s of way to take these guard posts and other things but there really isnt. You can snipe, you can go in with a shot gun or assualt rifle, drive up to the front door and just use the mounted machine gun to riddle the place with bulletsm or you can set the entire thing on fire (the fire is done tfairly well, was surprised to find wooden crates were fireproof but just minor stuff. Or you could use the mortar if you ever figured the damn thing, which I cant.

But the smallest gripe of mine, is that Far Cry 2 is a Far Cry from Far Cry. It has NOTHING to do with it at all, NOTHING, was it really that hard for Ubisoft to come up with an original name? I have a few other gripes but yes, not a bad game, most of the mechanics are good but just not executed well.

SugarJ October 27, 2008 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misterlarry (Post 105491)
Would be a great review if it fit the HWC website screen. Don't like to scroll back and forth for the start and end of every line. Good start though, and I would look forward to seeing more. Thanks.

:biggrin:

Real gamers view desktops at 1900x1200 minimum. No side scrolling required.:haha:

j/k

misterlarry October 27, 2008 10:52 PM

I agree, however, not everyone can be at home in front of the rig they call their own. Sometimes you just have to sit in a crappy hotel room and take what you can get. Oh well, such is life. I must improve that situation (laptops currently suck).

:thumb:

ziikutv October 28, 2008 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scart (Post 105454)
Not bad, could have used some proof reading though.

ex."The Canadiens have made their hands quit dirty with the game engine."

Oh NO I got confused between Alberta and Montreal.. So I put "Canadiens" because thats the hockey team ;) JUst tried to make it intresting. I edited it on my site.

I cant believe i got confused and I live in Toronto :(

But overall If you like my reviews visit our site. ZiikuTV There will be more coming up soon. Fall out 3 Review is under way. But I am sure Its going to disappoint soo many people. Just because VAT system this game would be little better. it gets so boring.