Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Member Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 25, 2008, 06:58 AM
Top Prospect

Default Lego Batman Full REVIEW By ME.

Lego Batman is an action-adventure video game developed by Travellerís Tales. It supports PC, Xbox 360, Playstation 3, Playstation 2, Wii, Nintendo DS, PSP. This game was released on September 23, 2008. It is identical to all of the other lego games and uses the Lego Starwars game engine.

PLOT

Main characters in the game are Batman and Robin. Who are saving the Gotham city from almost every dangerous villain that was seen in the movie and some more from the batman comics. In the game, the criminals are divided in to three teams. All of them are lead by most famous criminals in the Batman comics. Joker, Penguin and the Riddler. Every single leader has his own plan and you and your buddy are suppose to counter their plans. Each teams have their own thugs and crooks who follow the leaderís orders at all times. This idea is pretty new.

CHARACTERS

The game has more then seventeen villains. In the DS version, there are three exclusive characters who are, Firefly, Joe Chill and BlackMask. Every playable character (including villans) has their own special abilities and powers. For example, Poison Ivy has the ďKiss of DeathĒ. And The Riddler, he fights with a golden cane at close range and can use the cane to control the mind of weak-minded individuals. He can plant his cane in the ground and a beam will emerge, making his enemies dizzy and confused for several seconds. There is also some rare characters which are playable in this game such as The Killer Moth and even Alfred the butler! Hence, the abilities to play on both sides with so many characters earned this game an Eight Out of Ten.

GAMEPLAY

The gameplay is real similar to other lego games. Players can play with a partner or play alone with a computer character on their side. The downside of the gameplay is that it does not support online play. Meaning, you canít play with your buddy over the Internet. One will be fighting on land, air, and water. Player is allowed to use some powerful weapons and vehicles. Example, The Batboat in the penguin mission. You can also carry enemies, objects and climb on ropes through out the game. As said before, all of the characters have their own special abilities. That means, the game would be really great to play once you beat the first 3 acts, you will be playing the same levels in the villainís standpoint. The game included the costumes for Batman and Robin from the Batman comics. This means, you can blowup stuff with the batman destruction suit, drive remote controlled cars with Robinís technology suit. Glide with the Batmansí Glider Suit. And go in hot areas with the Heat suit. One more intresting thing which I noticed was that Travellerís Tales also added allot of puzzles which you can solve to put together lego pieces and to unlock an object which will help you complete the level or get past an obstacle. The down side is that some times the puzzles are confusing and you cannot tell where you are jumping. When we are playing in a 2Player mode, the camera gets confused and will not know who to focus on or sometimes gets wild when jumping in intense places.

Once you beat a level, you can go back to the same level in a Free Play mode to unlock items which you could not in story modes using the villain characters. There are 40 levels in the game. Giving you allot of play time. There are also some secret missions which can be accessible in the Wayne Tower. There is also the Batcave where you can unlock items, upgrade your costumes, go through your trophies and enter codes. When you play in the villansí point of view, your hub is the Arkham Asylum. The game is also customized depending on the villains style. For example, Poison Ivyís level is covered with Plants, Toxic waste and a garden. Due to little downsides we rate the gameplay Nine point five out of ten.

SOUNDTRACK

Soundtrack does play a big part in the game, giving us more excitement or scaring our butts off in horrer games. The game's soundtrack is Danny Elfman's score from Tim Burton's Batman as stated in the credits. The music was impressive and it was quit enjoyable.

Point Chart

Plot

7/10

Characters

8/10

Gameplay

9.5/10

Soundtrack

6/10

OVERALL

9.5/10

Note: This review was written by Me (Bhargav Patel) on my gaming review site ZiikuTV Last Edited : October 25th; Missed a couple of things.

Last edited by ziikutv; October 25, 2008 at 08:43 AM.
Old October 25, 2008, 08:18 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I played the demo, I quite liked the SW Lego games and am a huge Batman fan. My comments on the demo would be the music is quite good actually, it is taken straight from the original (Tim Burton) Batman movie score by Danny Elfman.

I really liked the suits Batman and Robin can jump into. Being able to play the game as the villains and unlocking characters for freeplay adds a lot of replay value just like the other Lego games do. There's lots of destructibles and co-op puzzles for Batman & Robin. And lots of switches and areas that can only be accessed by certain characters so there's incentive to play though again and again.

The graphics are excellent. Lots of cool moody lighting, steam etc... and it runs very well on mid-range hardware. All in all nothing really new here but the game does a very good job within the Lego franchise of games imo.

BTW how does your rating system work? It doesn't make sense to me as you have all but one score out of 10. And you should post your own screenshots so we can see the gameplay. ;) Cheers.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old October 25, 2008, 08:36 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thund3rball View Post
I played the demo, I quite liked the SW Lego games and am a huge Batman fan. My comments on the demo would be the music is quite good actually, it is taken straight from the original (Tim Burton) Batman movie score by Danny Elfman.

I really liked the suits Batman and Robin can jump into. Being able to play the game as the villains and unlocking characters for freeplay adds a lot of replay value just like the other Lego games do. There's lots of destructibles and co-op puzzles for Batman & Robin. And lots of switches and areas that can only be accessed by certain characters so there's incentive to play though again and again.

The graphics are excellent. Lots of cool moody lighting, steam etc... and it runs very well on mid-range hardware. All in all nothing really new here but the game does a very good job within the Lego franchise of games imo.

BTW how does your rating system work? It doesn't make sense to me as you have all but one score out of 10. And you should post your own screenshots so we can see the gameplay. ;) Cheers.
I agreed with everything you said, even about the music now that I went deeper into the game. And Yes, That was a mistake I got to edit the soundtrack part. Thanks for the heads up. Check out my site.. Do you guys like it?
Old October 25, 2008, 09:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I see you have done a lot of work on your site, kudos! Seems very well thought out and layed out. A couple points...

1. Don't stretch/distort your images to fit the frame.
2. The Flash auto-rotator moves too quickly, leave a little time for me to read it. ;)

Minor points and easily fixed I think. Good luck with the site.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old October 25, 2008, 09:49 AM
Top Prospect

Thanks. I like the images streched (the flash thing) Ill make the time longer as you said. And Yes, in future there will be Hardware, game and software reviews for all you guys. Were going to grow this thing really big over youtube too. I will let you all know about it. And Thanks for help.

Edit: Time slowd down. Also, How can I draw people to it. I have no Live Hits at all. Do you think eventually when i have like 20 reviews people will come?

Last edited by ziikutv; October 25, 2008 at 09:56 AM.