Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Member Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 3, 2008, 04:40 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
That's what I meant - the Razer looks cheap in comparison to the G9 :)
Oh ok, good, ya Razer products look really bland, they all look really similar, and they are all black, and a bit too...... symmetrical. Looks like a 3 yr old designed it on paint. There's no.... spice to them (if i can use that word).
Mobo: Asus P6T Deluxe | CPU: i7 940 | Ram: 3x2 GB | HSF: CM V8 | GPU: HD 6950 | PSU: PCP&C 750W | ]HDD: WD 500gb x3, 120GB Vertex 2 | Case: Antec 1200 | Monitor: 3x Asus VE247H | OS: Win7 Ultimate x64
My Trading Rep:
HWC
OCN
Heat
Ebay

Old November 3, 2008, 07:02 PM
Top Prospect

Honestly this mouse is a great mouse, but gets a lot of bad publicity due to how it looks. Function over forum/looks. If a reviewer cannot figure this out, I often choose not to read their reviews because I find you get a bias approach and the reviewer has already made up their mind about a particular products before even giving it a full review. Additionally, the looks of a particular product is subjective. It reminds me of the time I read a review on a XION PSU that went out of ATX spec, but the reviewer decided to give it 86% rating because it looked great. Huh? Anyone care to explain that one?
There are a few things that I like about this mouse over many others out there.
1. Interchangeable grips
2. This one is really big for me and any other gamer - the DPI adjustment. While you can find this feature on other mice, such as the G5, most (all?) of them require you to lift your pointing finger off the "left click" on your mouse to adjust it. The G9 on the other hand allows you to adjust the DPI with the middle of your pointing finger, so that you can continue to shoot while changing the DPI at the same time. Therefore, if you find yourself in a circumstance where you need to do both at the same time, you are placed at a disadvantage.
3. The frictionless scroll wheel is an interesting idea that Logitech placed on both the VX revolution and G9 mice. While I like the idea, I find it's usefulness to be rather limited as you zip along documents so quickly, that you cannot stop at the appropriate location. Additionally, the feature is hindered by the fact that you have to lift the mouse up and flip it around to enable/disable the feature, which becomes a hassle, as it's not practical to have on at all times.
The OP/reviewer in this thread brought up many good points and I hope people don't avoid buying this product due to it's looks, as looks are not everything. I will be the first to admit that the first week is a bit of a battle to get used to the mouse (no mouse on the market really comes close to the G9's design), it's worth it in the end and I encourage everyone to give this mouse a second thought as I believe many people will really enjoy using the mouse, especially gamers.
James

Last edited by James_8970; November 3, 2008 at 07:21 PM. Reason: error correction
Old November 3, 2008, 07:12 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_8970 View Post
Honestly this mouse is a great mouse, but gets a lot of bad publicity due to how it looks. Function over forum/looks. If a reviewer cannot figure this out, I choose not to read their reviews because I find you get a bias approach and the reviewer has already made up their mind about a particular products before even giving it a chance. Additionally, the looks of a particular product is subjective. It reminds me of the time I read a review on a XION PSU that went out of ATX spec, but the reviewer decided to give it 86% because it looked great. Huh? Anyone care to explain that one? :lol:
There are a few things that I like about this mouse over many others out there.
1. Interchangeable grips
2. This one is really big for me and any other gamer - the DPI adjustment. While you can find this feature on other mice, such as the G5, most (all?) of them require you to lift your pointing finger off the "left click" on your mouse to adjust it. The G9 on the other hand allows you to adjust the DPI with the middle of your pointing finger, so that you can continue to shoot while changing the DPI at the same time. Therefore, if you find yourself in a circumstance where you need to do both at the same time, you are placed at a disadvantage.
3. The frictionless scroll wheel is an interesting idea that Logitech placed on both the VX/MX revolution and G9 mice. While I like the idea, I find it's usefulness to be rather limited as you zip along documents so quickly, that you cannot stop at the appropriate location. Additionally, the feature is hindered by the fact that you have to lift the mouse up and flip it around to enable/disable the feature, which becomes a hassle, as it's not practical to have on at all times.
The OP/reviewer in this thread brought up many good points and I hope people don't avoid buying this product due to it's looks, as looks are not everything. I will be the first to admit that the first week is a bit of a battle to get used to the mouse (no mouse on the market really comes close to the G9's design), it's worth it in the end and I encourage everyone to give this mouse a second thought as I believe many people will really enjoy using the mouse, especially gamers.
James
Everything you said i agree with, except for one hugely important thing:

Quote:
3. The frictionless scroll wheel is an interesting idea that Logitech placed on both the VX/MX revolution and G9 mice. While I like the idea, I find it's usefulness to be rather limited as you zip along documents so quickly, that you cannot stop at the appropriate location. Additionally, the feature is hindered by the fact that you have to lift the mouse up and flip it around to enable/disable the feature, which becomes a hassle, as it's not practical to have on at all times.
From that statement im guessing you have never used an MX revolution or maybe you havent used it for very long. u can set the sensitivty on the MX revolution, it has the normal scroll, until it reaches a certain speed which you can define, than it goes to free scroll. So its really easy to go through pages bit through bit, but if you want to shoot to the bottom, its really really quick and extremely handy. That is the number one reason why i love my MX revolution, and why i will never get a different mouse.
Mobo: Asus P6T Deluxe | CPU: i7 940 | Ram: 3x2 GB | HSF: CM V8 | GPU: HD 6950 | PSU: PCP&C 750W | ]HDD: WD 500gb x3, 120GB Vertex 2 | Case: Antec 1200 | Monitor: 3x Asus VE247H | OS: Win7 Ultimate x64
My Trading Rep:
HWC
OCN
Heat
Ebay

Old November 3, 2008, 07:14 PM
Top Prospect

I guess I should remove the MX revolution from that post then. I own a VX revolution for my laptop (best laptop mouse I've used) and had assumed that the two were the same. Apparently this is false.
James
Old November 3, 2008, 07:16 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_8970 View Post
I guess I should remove the MX revolution from that post then. I own a VX revolution for my laptop (best laptop mouse I've used) and had assumed that the two were the same. Apparently this is false.
James
You really need to try out the MX Revolution, I <3 the VX Revolution, and the MX is like 5000 trillion times better. Trust me, you wont be disappointed.
My Trading Rep:
HWC
OCN
Heat
Ebay

Old November 3, 2008, 07:20 PM
Top Prospect

I <3 corded mice for gaming, otherwise I would give it a try. I've gone to Future Shop and given it a try a few times to decide whether or not to buy it from NCIX, but ultimately I decided the obvious, who needs two high end mice? Whenever I graduate and get a career, chances are I will buy that mouse for office use as I cannot think of a more comfortable mouse on the market.
James
Old November 3, 2008, 07:46 PM
Allstar
F@H

Good plan,
Its very very very comfortable, worth its weight in gold.
My Trading Rep:
HWC
OCN
Heat
Ebay

Old November 20, 2008, 02:57 PM
Allstar

Just to get back. I compared my G9 to my G5 and I like the scroll control and accuracy of the G9 better. However, the bottom pad came off...easy fix but the wearing off is not acceptable. I've had the G5 for longer and it has not warn off at all.

CHEERS

Last edited by Mark; July 8, 2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old November 20, 2008, 03:49 PM
Allstar
F@H

0.o wierd, thats never happened to either of my friends, one has had it since it came out, the other for 6 months
My Trading Rep:
HWC
OCN
Heat
Ebay

Old November 20, 2008, 04:40 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by arekieh View Post
0.o wierd, thats never happened to either of my friends, one has had it since it came out, the other for 6 months
It's not a biggy...a little bit of glue and it's fine but really does wear down too much. If you look at the bottom of a G5 it uses a better material IMO but I still will tell you that the G9 is a better performing mouse for sure. I've contacted Logitech and if you go to there forum, there are a few posts with similar complaints. If I new where to get this material, I would slice a few pieces and put them on myself.

CHEERS