Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Member Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 7, 2008, 09:16 AM
Allstar
F@H

Thanks alot for the pointers,
Ill search up on google for guides on making a lightbox. I also just bought a tripod, all my other pictures were holding the camera in my hand.
Thanks again
Mobo: Asus P6T Deluxe | CPU: i7 940 | Ram: 3x2 GB | HSF: CM V8 | GPU: HD 6950 | PSU: PCP&C 750W | ]HDD: WD 500gb x3, 120GB Vertex 2 | Case: Antec 1200 | Monitor: 3x Asus VE247H | OS: Win7 Ultimate x64
My Trading Rep:
HWC
OCN
Heat
Ebay

Old October 7, 2008, 09:24 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Lookin good mate.
As AkG said, Photoshop is your friend - Take a look at youtube, there are some great how-to's on photo retouching. Your photos have great potential, but always make sure to only choose the ones that show off the products assets the most.

This to this can be done in three simple steps, and there is even some room for further touchups

Keep in mind, as this is a review in which you are representing yourself, self reference statements are just fine - but those do need to be swapped out with generalized references of a fictional "us" or "we" or do away with them all together. Don't be shy to put a personal opinion statement down as a fact, if that accurately represents what your trying to say. With that, be careful of hasty generalizations, especially when referring to your readers.
E.G: Also, I know to many people a wireless mouse is a must,
Should be: Many people consider wireless mice an asset/...etc.

Otherwise it was a good read :) I have heard from many people the G9 is an awesome mouse - unfortunately Logitech has a policy of discrimination against us south paws so I have never been able to enjoy some of their best products. Oh well, I like Razer better (or maybe thats just sour grapes :P )
Old October 7, 2008, 09:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Good review.

Just a specific comment on reviewing mice: The great variation in hand-size and mousing style is something a lot of mouse reviewers do not cover.

For example: I have large hands and long fingers and I like to palm the mouse. Others like to use their fingers. If you give some indication of your personal mousing style/hand size, it can give a lot more insight into the way it's going to feel for different people.
Old October 7, 2008, 11:46 AM
MVP

My System Specs

yeah good review
Old October 7, 2008, 03:02 PM
Allstar
F@H

Wow,
So thats how everyone does the white background? Ive always wondered how to do that. I have Photoshop but have never used it. I use Macromedia Fireworks for all my photo editing, and stupid me, but i never thought to touch up the review pictures. I guess this is just a big learning experience though.

Also, about the first/third person references I always wondered about that. Most reviews do not have personal opinions in them, but i have seen a couple with. I guess it sounds more professional when things are generalized and stated as facts though.

Thanks alot for the comments guys!

P.S. Going to install photoshop right now and start screwing around with it :p
Mobo: Asus P6T Deluxe | CPU: i7 940 | Ram: 3x2 GB | HSF: CM V8 | GPU: HD 6950 | PSU: PCP&C 750W | ]HDD: WD 500gb x3, 120GB Vertex 2 | Case: Antec 1200 | Monitor: 3x Asus VE247H | OS: Win7 Ultimate x64
My Trading Rep:
HWC
OCN
Heat
Ebay

Old October 7, 2008, 03:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just be careful not to try to pass off opinion as fact. There's a big difference between stating an opionion based on facts in a professional manner, and trying to make your opinion a fact.
Old October 7, 2008, 03:27 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

We get white backgrounds by shooting on a white surface with a ton of 5000-6000k indirect lighting and extra exposure. Photoshop is for fine tuning, but yes it is necessary to learn and an asset to good photos.
Old October 7, 2008, 03:30 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

In photoshop, adjusting the light levels will work wonders. Be sure to do your best to delete the background, or use the extraction gallery to get most of the useless background out of the picture - but DO NOT rely soley on photoshop. Make sure your backgrounds are white, and you use the appropriate tools to minimize editing later

EDIT: Bah - Eldonko with the win
Old October 7, 2008, 03:39 PM
Allstar
F@H

Thanks guys,
For the light box, could you expand on your cardboard idea? Also, if i go to a hardware store and ask them for those 5000-6000K cfl bulbs will they know what im talking about?
Thanks

EDIT* Nvm, i get what you mean about the lightbox. Could any of you show me a picture of one? I couldnt find any good ones on google
My Trading Rep:
HWC
OCN
Heat
Ebay

Old October 7, 2008, 03:53 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I use my downstairs bathroom as a light box. It is small and white and the light fixture has room for 10 lights. I fill it with large 5000k bulbs, put up a white bristol board shield to stop reflection from the bulbs and use more sheets of white bristol board to shoot on. Sounds ghetto but it works fine.

For bulbs, you want the ones that say daylight and in the specs on the box it will say the kelvin rating. Walmart is the cheapest, you can usually find 4 for 10 bucks.