Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Member Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 15, 2008, 05:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDogZero View Post
Thanks for the review jdrom17 great to see someone take the time out to inform others.
I do agree with Mr. Gruntsworthy that the temps seem high for a after maker cooler, I have the Palit 4850 Sonic 512MB which is factory overclocked and my idle is 44C and I have yet to see it go above 60C with the few benchmarks I've run so far (just go the card last night ). Maybe some thing to do with air flow in your case or the like. Just can't see this thing getting that high a temps it's huge compared to the cooler on mine and it's a Artic Cooling product.
I have a S-FLEX "F" on my side panel blowing right into it, so I kinda doubt it's an airflow issue.

Could just be a bad mount as it did slip around before I got it lined up and I just used the pre-applied MX-2.

I don't really see what's wrong though. 60C under load @ 700/1100 is fine with me nor do I hear it over my other fans at all. My fan profile is on the low side as well though since when this things gets to 100%, it is quite audible. From idle to load I don't hear any changes in fan speed. Sure I could make it more aggressive and have lower temperatures but the way I see it is that the stock cooler ran way hotter and my card is still alive so why bother?
Old October 15, 2008, 06:40 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Hey jdrom17 I did not noticed you had the card OC'ed, for that clock the temps are good same as mine with less of a clock 685/1000 and probably less noise too, now that sounds more like a Arctic Cooling product.
Old October 15, 2008, 07:34 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDogZero View Post
Hey jdrom17 I did not noticed you had the card OC'ed, for that clock the temps are good same as mine with less of a clock 685/1000 and probably less noise too, now that sounds more like a Arctic Cooling product.
Hehe, guess it's not totally clear in my main post. Oh well now it is.

I actually let rhdrtibl (I think that's what it's called) with 16x multisampling and full window size run while I posted that and for about 10minutes or so after and it maxed out a 60C. Wouldn't budge anymore. Apparently that's 97% GPU load by CCC.

IIRC if I crank up the fan to maximum it keeps it under 55C. Though I'd rather not deal with the noise even though its a pretty flat sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gruntsworthy View Post
strange; my sapphire 4850 dual slot fansink version idles at 35C, and has hit 70C under intense load... idling at 35C it uses 37% fan speed.

This is the version I have:
In reply to this, your card is based on a totally non-reference PCB so there could be other factors that might help reduce heat.
Old October 15, 2008, 07:49 PM
Allstar
F@H

true, but what cools better? A big-arse heatsink and fan, or the plastic shaft?
RAM : 4GB DDR2 800MHz (OCZ Platinum)
HDD : Main: 120GB SSD SATA2 (OCZ) Storage: 3TB SATA2 (WD Green) Backup: 500GB External USB (Hitatchi)
GFX : HD4850 (512MB)
PSU : 610W PC Power Silencer
MoBo: Asus P5Q SE
View : Acer H213H 21.5" @ 1920 x 1080

Oshawa Deathmatch Community -- An open group for Durham/Toronto Airsoft, Paintball, and Nerf players. Come join!

I am a Level/Game Designer! http://mikeseguin.webs.com/
Old October 15, 2008, 08:33 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Hey jdrom17, my board is also a non-reference PCB comes with 8-pin power connector instead of 6-pin which feeds a new 3-phase PWM circuit. Not sure but I think that helps with the heat since in reviews I have seen it pulls less power.

The one thing I don't like about the Twin Turbo, the cooler on my card, the cooler on Mr. Gruntsworthy card and 99% of the 4850's out there is that they blow the hot air back in the case. I made a reply to a post here earlier about a HIS 4850 with the iceQ cooler which blows the air out the back of the case but is pricey compared to my card, I stated in that post that there may be a way to mod my cooler to blow air out the back since there are slots in the pci braket. But over all the Twin Turbo looks like a good cooler which takes less space than a S1 with a fan does.
Old October 16, 2008, 05:43 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah I wish there were aftermaket dual-slot coolers which exhausts from the case but apparently there some legal issues with that so that only ATI/NVIDIA have rights to do that (they don't make the heatsinks themselves, other companies do) but those companies cannot sell them in retail for whatever reason.

Good thing my CPU is under water (radiator on the back) so internal case temps aren't a huge deal for me.
Old February 2, 2011, 06:36 AM
Trial Member

nice review, i am planning to get this card too for my 4870.
Old February 4, 2011, 06:59 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I am using a twin turbo pro on my 4890. Fan speed is set to 45%, which gives me around 60 degree celcius on load. Inaudible at that ;-)
Maybe I will put one onto my 6950 as well.