Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Member Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 21, 2008, 11:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Mountain Mods U2-UFO OPTI

Mountain Mods U2-UFO

When anyone walks into a LAN, a mountain mod case is usually the first place they visit. They are a massive case, drawing a lot of attention. One of my friends who isn't into computers refers to it as the computer that could hack the White House. My other technologically challenged friends call it that now too. It is an impressive looking case, essentially a big cube which is 18'x18'x18'. If you are looking for a case with tons of room for water cooling gear, this is the case.

It is a water cooler's case, with room to put a 3x120mm radiator (rad) down at the bottom, and a 2x120mm on the back right of the case, if desired. If an owner was daring enough, they could place a 2x120mm rad on the top of the case as well. All 3 rads internal, so room is not lacking. With so many places for rads to go, there are a lot of places for fans in the case. The abundance of spots for fans is a good and bad thing. It is good as everything will be super cool; bad, because a spot with no fan looks incomplete, and shelling out money for 8 fans can get expensive after having spent so much money on a case.
The U2-UFO Opti is selling for $379.99 on www.ncix.com at this moment. It is less than most other Mountain Mod cases, but a lot more than most other cases. For $379.99, Mountain Mods does not give the consumer much. It did not come with any 5.25' bay covers, the consumer must pay for those seperately. There are 5 required on each side, totaling 10. www.ncix.com charges $14.99 for one. Thats 150 just for bay covers, putting the total to almost 600$ after taxes. The case did not come with any fan grills either. The fan grills are another $6 each. If you want case feet, thats an additional $5 as well. The U2-UFO Opti is not only a case, but an investment.
With that investment comes functionality. Each side panel is removable, same with the top panel as well. The 5.25 bays can be taken out as well, creating this open cube to work in. There is a spot for a 2nd power supply, if redundancy, or dual power supplies to power heavy energy usage. Another great thing about the U2-UFO Opti is the amount of storage space it has. Mountain Mods claims that it can hold up to 18 hard drives or 10 5.25' devices. One of the few accessories it does come with is Harddrive brackets. Those brackets allow for an additional 6 hard drives to be stored throughout the case.
With 18 hard drives, the U2-UFO Opti would get fairly heavy. It already weighs 15 lbs empty. I weighed mine, and it weighs 49.8 lbs. It has 6 hard drives, 1 ATX motherboard, a Thermochill PA 120.2, a Corsair 1000HX power supply, an EVGA 9800GX2, a scythe fan controller, and 12 fans. The water cooling loop holds 1 liter of fluid xp+. It is able to go to LANs but not with the ease of other computers.
Air flow in the U2-UFO Opti is as good as a case with 8 fans should be. The temperatures on all of the components are really cool. Hard drives show temperatures of 26 degrees Celsius. The motherboard shows temperatures of 27 degrees Celsius. Those temperatures were measured with Everest Extreme Edition. CPU temperatures do not match up on any temperature monitoring program. On Everest it shows the CPU temp to be 13 degrees with core temperatures of 31-31-37-37, while Real Temp 2.70 shows temperatures of 21-21-27-27. Speed fan shows CPU temperatures at 13 degrees. The CPU is an Intel QX9650 at 3.0 GHZ. Sensors placed throughout the case attached to the scythe fan controller show an average temperature of 25.1 degrees. Overall, this case is really cool.
One important part of this case is not cool. That part is cable management. Mountain Mods seemed to over look cable management when they built this case. There are no holes, or places to hide the cables behind. With windows on both sides, it is hard to hide cables. If cables are directed and hidden on the other side of the motherboard tray, unfortunately the window on the other side lets people see the real mess to the computer. I know with my case, I tried to do cable management for a long time. I eventually gave up, with a large amount of mess on one side.

Oh yeah, its a dust magnet.
Even with the complete lack of cable management routes, this case is a really good case. The price might be outrageous, but the sense of pride is totally worth the price of admition, not to mention the amount of room this large warehouse sized case has. It may not have the cable management of the p182, or 1200, or TJ07s but its my case and I wouldn't trade it for the world. Bah, I had the best Jeremy Clarkson quote for here, but I forgot it :( so you guys get this line instead.

EDIT: I wanted to get this up here for the guy who wanted a review on this case... I will edit it, but im not sure when i'll have the chance, it might be a week.. so instead of holding onto it for that long i put it up here :P heh SKY will disapprove

Last edited by Phobia; September 21, 2008 at 11:53 PM.
Old September 22, 2008, 05:12 AM
Hall Of Fame

Man Phobes, did I encourage you or something lol :P... Look at the amount of dust, why is the video card loose like that.. ok ok I will stop ...

J/k M8, nice of you to take the time and post even a mini-review.. But yeah it is disappointing to see a case for $350+ and not coming with almost nothing..
Old September 22, 2008, 05:56 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks Phobia. That's way more information than I had before I read your review of it. I appreciate your time.

The world is your oyster. Shuck away my friend, shuck away!
Old September 22, 2008, 08:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

haha the video card is loose because theres another one underneath thats actualyl plugged in. ROFL. I didn't want to drain my loop, and im out of fluid XP+ so i am just resting my old one on top of my new one :P
Old September 23, 2008, 10:10 AM
Allstar
F@H

I like the 007 girls grill theme on the fans.

E8600 420x10 |Thermalright 120 Black | Maximus Formula | ATI 4870X2 | 4GB Buffalo FireStiX PC8500 | Corsair HX1000 | Lian Li V2010B | Vista Ultimate 64bit

Q6600 334x9 |Thermaltake Blu Orb | ASUS P5Q-PRO| ATI 2900XT | 6GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400 | Corsair HX520 | Lian Li V600B | Vista Home Premium 64bit