Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Member Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 18, 2008, 01:16 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Smile Ikari laser Mouse by Steelseries

Well this mouse can be had for $64.00 USD, but is it worth it? When I started looking for a new mouse I had to find one that fit my hand( very small) I didnít like any of the Razers because of how they were all flat feeling, I like support, and I didnít want all the gizmos, and gadgets on the mouse. So I went to my favorite forums HWC, and found several posts by Cptn Vortex swearing by this mouse. So I thought Iíd take a look, I was taken by just the looks, and how it looked like it could fit with any dark color scheme. Then I got to researching its guts, size, build quality, ect. Well I decided that it was what I wanted as it had a very easy to read LCD on the bottom(I donít like many lights on top) and it had the thumb buttons I wanted to keep. The most factor that won me over though was the fact it could switch from 1 CPI to 3200 CPI on the fly, without software. Well Iíll stop boring you with knowledge and get to the pics. ;)

packaging, very well done as it allows to feel the mouse b4 u buy. if u want to see it full click here, and here

Comes with Mouse, products sheet, manual which you can get from me here (note: you only need to install the driver software if you want to use freemove technology or name the default profile( i named mine desktop) the CPI adjustment can be done on the mouse and in the software), driver cd(get the ones off the net lol), and kick ass sticker.

Now onto testing, I used mouse rate to check the polling rate of the mouse, you can get it here. Steelseries claims It has a 1000hrz rate, mouse rate averaged out at only 500hrz. Yet thatís only a few millisecond diff. so not bad. The best part I think about the mouse is the CPI switching on the fly, hereís from the manual.

Next I gamed in what I thought would be an ok game to test it with as any other, Shadowrun (got it for 24 canít beat that for cross platform play;)), well I went from feeling my mouse to not knowing my mouse was even there, went from kill ratio in almost every server from 10:13 to 16:3 (not bad) and that was on 1000 CPI at 1440x900. You can get the CPI for your old mouse here ( look for CPI calculator) if you want the same you had. the scroll wheel is the highest quality I have seen it makes no noise and yet you still feel the clicking, and it made my moving through pages much faster, and just feels good to the skin.

The thumb buttons took some time to get used to as my old one had them on both sides. But the accuracy was noticed immediately, even though I was twitching around cause of the drastic difference in movement quality. K well thatís all I have if you want to see all the pics b4 resizing and other pics your welcome to my photobucket.

Pros:
Quality
Accuracy
Ease of use

Cons:
Price if not newegg, usually $89.00 USD
Old September 18, 2008, 02:08 PM
MVP

My System Specs

bump...
Old September 18, 2008, 02:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

My Deathadder has suffered some damage. My pup chewed the chord a bit, and now it is stuck on highest DPI/polling rate lol. Not too bad I am ok for gaming but Photoshop is a bitch! So I need a new mouse. I have to admit I love the Deathhadder but have my eyes open to other good mice. This looks like a contender, but the price is a bit steep.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old September 18, 2008, 02:17 PM
MVP

My System Specs

yeah the price is a i got it for 64 USD on newegg though and for that price its totally worth it.
Old September 18, 2008, 02:20 PM
MVP

My System Specs

sorry for double post, if u need other pics of it or of like it doing something, it next to a ruler go ahead and ask.
Old September 21, 2008, 02:12 PM
Allstar

Whoa! I've been using this mouse for days, and I didn't notice the LCD until I saw it in your review.
Old September 21, 2008, 03:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

It's a fantastic mouse.

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old September 21, 2008, 08:35 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_G View Post
Whoa! I've been using this mouse for days, and I didn't notice the LCD until I saw it in your review.
omg lol its allows you to set the cpi on the mouse lol, and yes i absolutely love this mouse.

edit: im an MVP now? lol
Old October 7, 2008, 11:52 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default not trying out

Hi all im not trying out i live in usa anyway, but id like to get some pointers on my review, first time using my new A590IS for something this involved,(first time was getting locked out of the house and it was in my pocket.)
Old October 7, 2008, 05:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

nice review, but i wouldn't trust vortex...he's a nub! ;)