Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > Mac

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 8, 2013, 07:44 AM
Manufacturer Rep

Apple did this in the 1990's with "clones," and it nearly killed the company (along with anti-competitive practices by MS). The clones were a disaster and prone to a myriad of problems that OEM computers didn't have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
Apple is all about image and being different. Releasing their software would dilute their being "unique" and bring them down the slope of the PC with lowered profit margins. I like the phones...everything PC based I could never justify the premium.
That's not it at all. Apple's failure rates year after year are better than just about any OEM out there, and their customer service is unrivaled in the OEM industry. Give them a call when you're in the US. You speak with someone in the US, not someone in a foreign country who doesn't understand you (or visa versa). Call them in Europe, same thing. They cater to the 95%+ of computer users in the world who want to buy a product, set it up, and just have it work.
Old December 8, 2013, 08:04 AM
Top Prospect

If apple released their software and made it compatible they would squeeze themselves. Third party would have computers running mac with ads like a Mac with twice the performance but half the price. Now you could give an argument for them making IOS for sale before android became a competitor. If they had said we want 5-10% of any phone running IOS 6 months after android launched they probably would be collecting royalties on half of third party phones sold today.
Old December 8, 2013, 09:01 AM
MVP

Because it went poorly when they tried it with OS 7.
Old December 8, 2013, 10:04 AM
Allstar

Basically they offer innovative designs and an integrated user experience that they also control. The products are slick and easy to use. Jobs did try 3rd party licencing with Next computer and this experience resulted in I'll never do that again way of thinking.
Old December 17, 2013, 08:42 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I usually try and stay far away from the Apple Debate as it's a losing battle. To put it Frankly, most hardware enthusiasts wouldn't care even if they did. There's too many restrictions by going the Apple route, both in software and hardware choices and even how one goes about developing for the platform.

But to each his own.