Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > Mac

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 10, 2013, 04:47 PM

My System Specs

Default New Mac Pro

Apple - Mac Pro

Looks kinda cool. Although very unpractical. There now are no Apple devices that are are upgradable.

Very curious about the PCIe SSD. It doesn't sound SATA based so I wonder what it uses.
Old June 10, 2013, 05:12 PM
Allstar

Ah yes the new iTrashCan. I'm just waiting for the new version of TonyMac iBoot to come out to support Haswell.
Old June 10, 2013, 06:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I think it's a rather impressive design. Using a shared heatsink in the middle with both GPUs and CPU attached to it seems quite logical. Definitely allows them to build a rather compact device without making any notable sacrifices.
Old June 10, 2013, 07:09 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

It uses a mini-PCIe 'blade' style SSD. Based on previous buying patterns my best guess it will be a Toshiba. Its what they have used in the past.

What will be really interesting is if its TLC or MLC...as Tosh is getting into the TRI Level Cell 19nm ONFi NAND bizz...and I wouldnt touch a TLC drive with a 1000ft pole.

Edit: Its rated speed...is meaningless. By removing the SATA bottleneck its easy to get even crappy drives 'up to' 1GB/s read with LARGE files...in very short bursts.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; June 10, 2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old June 11, 2013, 09:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Pretty impressive, neat form factor. Glad to see it's made in the US instead of China. But it's sad to see upgradeability/repairability be thrown out the window. I thought that was important for pro level tools.
Old June 11, 2013, 09:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It is repairable, but you do that at an AASP under warranty. :P
And as for expansion that is what the thunderbolt ports are for. I know, it is stupid to have everything external because it takes up way too much space.

The only upside is that the customer can setup their system to their needs... but no telling how much desk space the bigger rigs will require. >_<
Old June 11, 2013, 10:53 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

FirePro + OpenCL support = *facepalm. Most 3D devs I know have moved over to CUDA so Apple needs an NVIDIA option to make this thing viable to their potential customers.
Old June 11, 2013, 04:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Have to say it's an impressive piece of engineering having it built that way.. But as others have said, not upgradeable, no nvidia option, no internal hdd's... I mean really.. no HDD's at all?

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old June 11, 2013, 05:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
Pretty impressive, neat form factor. Glad to see it's made in the US instead of China. But it's sad to see upgradeability/repairability be thrown out the window. I thought that was important for pro level tools.
Assembled in USA is not the same as made in USA. Every person who buys individual computer parts and builds their own system can say it was assembled in their country...
Old June 11, 2013, 05:52 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
I mean really.. no HDD's at all?
That's what the 6 Thunderbolt2 ports are for...