Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > Mac

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 11, 2013, 05:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It could be argued that professionals probably already have some fast external multi-disk storage device anyway. I guess.
I still do not like this computer even though I get where it is coming from.
Old June 11, 2013, 09:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by draemn View Post
Assembled in USA is not the same as made in USA. Every person who buys individual computer parts and builds their own system can say it was assembled in their country...
Quote:
“The product will be assembled in Texas, include components made in Illinois and Florida, and rely on equipment produced in Kentucky and Michigan,”
Do you mean the fact that the PCB's may be assembled in China?
Old June 11, 2013, 10:13 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
It uses a mini-PCIe 'blade' style SSD. Based on previous buying patterns my best guess it will be a Toshiba. Its what they have used in the past.
They've used a few different suppliers, I've gotten Samsung drives all of Mac purchases, depending on model it can be luck of the draw.
Old June 12, 2013, 12:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
That's what the 6 Thunderbolt2 ports are for...
Yea but whats the point in buying something neat and shiny and then having a load of externals hanging off it?

I mean really, your not going to have enough storage for major media work off a single SSD. But then I suppose it's not exactly aimed at home users and even then many people have their own NAS these days anyway.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old June 23, 2014, 11:26 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^^ My 5 yr old Asus with I7 and GTX260M just suffered a major GPU melt down.....so...I've always wanted to completely disassemble my Asus Notebook (knowing it was destined for the scrapyard)....did just that :) .....then all pieces into a bag and to the dump....was satisfied getting just about 5 yrs out of it considering all the gaming I did on it and how bloody hot the 260M ran at (90'sc gaming and 70c idle desktop)....

Anyhow, not into monster 9lb Notebooks so picked up a MBP 13" I5 2.4 Ghz 8MB RAM and 256 GB SSD....the thing is amazingly quick and the Intel Iris Graphics even allows a certain level of gaming (enough for my portable needs anyhow).....the thing weighs 3.5 lbs and has an incredibly tiny footprint at about 3/4" thick ....2560 x 1600p Res is gorgeous!!!

As for the "what no HD" ?.....even my Asus Notebook I took out both HDD's and replaced with an Intel 80GB and OCZ Vertex II 120GB...so a total of 200GB...lasted me almost 5yrs, being leery of how much and what I store...simple really and a 1TB Portable drive for "lots of stuff".......with a little Drive Management Savvy....its a non issue, although I wouldnt settle for the 128 GB SSD version.

Apparantly mine is the "late 2013 version" with 2 x 4GB RAM.....I've read conflicting reviews on whether its upgradeable to 2 x 8GB...some say yes "late 2013 model is"....some say only prior to purchasing......can anyone confirm?

This is my new toy.....the last Mac I owned was a Performa AIO back in 1994 ;) A little rusty with Mac OS X, but certainly intuitive.

Apple MacBook Pro 13.3" Intel Core i5 2.4 GHz Laptop with Retina Display - English : MacBook Pro - Future Shop

Old June 28, 2014, 07:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Evidently not a lot of Mac users here ;) ......I can understand why...no worries there....BUT...I can say I love this Mac Book Pro so far....the OSX is as "Mac intuitive" as it was back in 1994 when I last used the Mac OS...not including my Iphone of course..... :)
Even have played a little Batman Arkham City, Bioshock and Borderlands 2 no problems...turn the settings down of course but very impressed for an Integrated Graphics solution ( Intel Iris)...,,,,simply install Steam......if you already have a Steam Account...just install Steam as per normal......sign in under your regular Steam Account and BOOM..all games you purchased that are also Mac OS compatible will automatically show up...in my case total 55 games in my account and 24 show up as "Mac Apple"...awesome!!!!!...just download em and away you go !!

...I5 @ 2.4 Ghz....8GB 1600 Mhz RAM....256 GB SSD Drive.....this little rMBP is snappy!!!!
Also got the discount on MS Office Home n Business ($200 )...so the migration of all my work stuff, including Outlook was painless moving over to Apple ;)
Got all of my Work Documents, Contacts, emails going back to 2005...I know!!!)...pics n music and still have 170GB space available...including Steam and 4 Games .....a little Drive Management is all that is required ;)
Highly recommend this little "Laptop".....fvck...1600P too !!!!....on 13.3"...but scaled just right ....expensive for sure...but would have had to spend about $300 more for an equivalent Notebook with SSD and better GPU solution (nvidia GTX 870M) going Windows route...biggest turn off for me going that route is having to digest W OS 8..and once again pack around a 9lb Notebook...this thing is 3.5lbs !!!!
...I really want to skip W OS8..... ....would rather learn MAC OSX .....then pick up Windows again at Windows 9 or X.for a Notebook.......8 is a flop really ( like Vista ) and not worth putting any effort into learning..imo

Cheers

Last edited by rjbarker; June 28, 2014 at 07:46 PM.
Old June 28, 2014, 10:19 PM
Allstar

Yeah a lot of people don't scroll down that far to read the Mac sub-forum. I just check iFixit's tear down and I'm pretty sadden by their solder everything approach. At $1600, I rather get a Sager 14 inch and you can upgrade mSATA SSD and RAM. The screen may not be as good but the fact that I can't upgrade something as basic as storage and memory doesn't appeal to me.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacB...Teardown/18695
Old June 29, 2014, 12:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I thought the same thing....my old Asus G51J I upgraded both HD's to SSD's....youre correct, unfortunately even the RAM is non upgradeable...the SSD is however, BUT there is no way I'll need more than 256GB of space on my portable......I do have a 2TB WD Portable Drive for "All that stuff" ;)
Also, what I have noticed with my last 2 Notebooks....there pretty much "toss away" after 4-5yrs anyhow....

I think the Memory Management with this OS is a heck of a lot better than my old Asus, so the 8GB should be fine for what I do !!

Oh great link to that tear down....thats the same model I have ;)

Old July 7, 2014, 10:31 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

rjbarker, welcome to the Apple world!

I made the switch to Apple a few years ago for similar reasons to you and it has grown on me. I needed a laptop that would last a solid 7 hrs on a charge for all my back-to-back meetings. I was using a Lenovo at the time with back up battery cells and my briefcase was weighting a ton. A young lady who was in a number of my meeting just used her MBP all day on a single charge, so I bought one to do the same. Well it didn't take long for this die-hard Windows user to fall in love with OSX.

Over the years I have phased out all my PC's and only use Apple products now. When I have to use Windows at the office, I always feel like I have stepped back in time, I just find OSX to be more comprehensive, robust, and easier to use. Mind you, I think I am one of the only people on this forum who thinks this way.

Last edited by p3t3rson; July 8, 2014 at 05:21 AM.
Old July 7, 2014, 06:41 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I have a MBP at work as well, though I simply cannot get used to OSX. Maybe if I used it exclusively for a month I'd get used to it. But at the end of the day, our workplace runs on Microsoft products, not Apple, so that'll be what I stick to until such a time that changes.

It seems very heavy on keyboard commands/shortcuts compared to Windows. You can click around to all the same options, but it seems to be much slower. I guess a non-Windows user might say the same thing though...

I will say, DPI scaling is something Apple has done right. On the "retina" display, everything looks gorgeous. On my Surface Pro 3 (when I use scaling), most things end up super blurry and (to me) unusable. And the things that scale properly (so they aren't blurry) just don't look the way I'd expect. Still seems out of proportion.

However, this thread was about the Mac Pro desktop... I take it nobody has gotten one of these? We apparently have 2 at work, but they went straight to the users. I'll have to snag a "support" unit eventually ;)