Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > Mac

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 15, 2012, 09:48 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Couple Questions about Macs

I'm not really overly familiar with Macs. I can use them but never really played around with upgrading them and such. so I have a few questions that might sound stupid but i'd rather know before I spend Money

Ram, Is the Ram in a macbook pro the same as a PC laptop or does Mac do some stupid shit to the Dimms to make you need to buy theirs?

Hard Drive upgrade, If I was to upgrade the harddrive in my macbook pro is there a way to transfer OS from one to the other easily or would I need to buy OSX again?

How would Apple know if I was to install the ram and hard drive myself and void the warranty? If I was to reinstall the original equipment before taking it in for warranty service would it pass? I know with iphones they have that retarded Blue dye at the bottom that tells them if you ever had it outside on a humid day or in the bathroom during a shower that voids your warranty.

Thanks for the help!
Old November 15, 2012, 10:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You cannot upgrade or change the RAM/HDD they're soldered to the motherboard.
Old November 15, 2012, 10:19 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

that is only on the macbook Air and i think the retina display macbook pros. The one I have you can upgrade
Old November 15, 2012, 10:22 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I am not sure about the warranty cause I waited for my Mac to run out of warranty before I made the upgrades. First up, the ram depending on your Macbook just check the Apple website it will tell you which ram speed is compatible with your Mac, I.e. 1333, 1600, 1067, and with the correct frequency you can just install any Laptop DDR3 SODIMM Ram. (I just went with Corsair's Apple certified ram just to be sure almost the same price as a normal laptop ram) Next, when you change your HDD you just need a dedicated external drive and your OS X disk that came with the laptop. So basically run Time Machine and set the backup to your external drive and it should backup your whole laptop including the OS X installed and all your programs. So when you change your HDD. turn on your Mac, put the OS X disk on keep pressing C to boot to the disk and use your time machine backup to re-install everything. After that everything should be there. I suffered a corrupt OS X a couple of weeks back and use my first time machine back up to restore my Mac.
Old November 16, 2012, 01:51 AM
Rookie

Ram, Is the Ram in a macbook pro the same as a PC laptop or does Mac do some stupid shit to the Dimms to make you need to buy theirs?

Here: Memory for MacBook, MacBook Pro 2GB, 4GB, 8GB & Now 16GB - OWC Certified RAM for Apple Mac with Lifetime Warranty that should be helpful... :) )I have some cheap ram from computerbay thanks to amazon... and has been working 100% fine on my late 2011 15"MBP for about a year now..

you should look for compatible sticks by looking into the model your interested in...

Hard Drive upgrade, If I was to upgrade the harddrive in my macbook pro is there a way to transfer OS from one to the other easily or would I need to buy OSX again?

Same as a pc... asuming you have the discs... if not i think there are ways but i've never tried... cloning the data from one hdd to another?

How would Apple know if I was to install the ram and hard drive myself and void the warranty? If I was to reinstall the original equipment before taking it in for warranty service would it pass? I know with iphones they have that retarded Blue dye at the bottom that tells them if you ever had it outside on a humid day or in the bathroom during a shower that voids your warranty.

They wouldn't, as far as I know you dont void the warranty by opening the machine... At least on late 2011 MBP's... all you need to do is unscrew like 16 screws from the bottom of the unibody and you have clear access to the ram sticks...

You can always go in and ask :D Provided they know their stuff they should be helpful... (where I live most of the time I know more than the guy trying to sell something to me... and I dont know crap xD, so I always do a TON of reading beforehand)

Hope any of that helped :)
Old November 16, 2012, 02:51 AM
Allstar

isn't changing the RAM and hard-drive allowed under the warranty?

That's what I hear all the time on Mac forums.

The Apple store in downtown Vancouver is pretty damn helpful (they replaced my phone even though the 'defect' was CLEARLY user-inflicted damage), your milage may wary, but you might as well just ask. Remember, you PAID for their service.
Old November 16, 2012, 05:53 AM
Allstar

Come on, jut keep the old ram stick and the old hd and if you have a warranty problem, put them back before bring the mac to a repair center.
Old November 16, 2012, 08:25 AM
Top Prospect

Regarding upgrading the hard drive, you can use Time Machine in OSX to make an image of the drive. After you switch out the drive in the Mac, you can boot up from the OSX disk and tell it to restore the last Time Machine archive instead of doing a clean install. I apologize as I can't recall the exact steps, but I did this on my Wife's MacBook Pro when the original hard drive died...so it is doable. :)

The down-side is that you have to have a Time Machine disk to backup to. IIRC, not just any drive will work either - it needs to be a "Time Machine certified" drive or something along those lines.
Old November 16, 2012, 06:09 PM
Allstar

TM certified drive? First time hearing about that (not being a dick, just never heard of it). I got a Hackintosh with a regular 500MB external USB drive that I put together and TM comes up asking if I want to use it for TM. I got curious and looked up the tear down of the 13 inch MBP and the RAM are bloody fixed to the logic board! Only thing you may be able to upgrade is SSD (looks like special socket) and HDD (may need super slim).

MacBook Pro 13" Retina Display Late 2012 Teardown - iFixit
Old November 16, 2012, 07:17 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow View Post
TM certified drive? First time hearing about that (not being a dick, just never heard of it). I got a Hackintosh with a regular 500MB external USB drive that I put together and TM comes up asking if I want to use it for TM....
Yeah my bad on the wording. The issue with my Wife's MacBook Pro was that Time Machine (at the time) wouldn't work with network drives; such as the My Book World (NAS) that she was using. What was strange is that while booted in the OS, I could see the drive and Time Machine could backup to it no problem. But when I went to restore the backup using the OS disk, the setup gave an error message that it couldn't use the WD NAS disk to restore a backup. I can't recall the exact error message, but I made it sound like you have to use an actual Apple Time Machine drive - not just any NAS drive. Again my bad on how I phrased it.

To get around this, I had to run this terminal command:

Code:
defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1
More info here: Time Machine on a network drive

After that, the OS setup was able to let me restore the backup.