Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Mac (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mac/)
-   -   Retina MacBook Pro (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mac/54679-retina-macbook-pro.html)

SneakySnake June 11, 2012 02:35 PM

Retina MacBook Pro
 
2880x1800 display, using HiDPI tech built into OSX Lion (works the same way the retina display works on the iPhone/Pad. EG: stuff doesn't get smaller, just more detailed.)

$2200 gets you:
Quad 2.3 IVB (Can upgrade to quad 2.7)
Nvidia 650M 1 GB
8 GB DDR3L-SDRAM (up to 16 GB)
256 GB SSD (up to 768 GB)
2880x1800 Retina Display
7 Hour battery
0.71 inches thick (for reference, the macbook air is 0.68 inches thick)
4.4 lbs

Best laptop on the market in my opinion. Nothing else comes close in terms of performance for the battery life and weight. Only other laptop that comes to mind that's powerful at that form factor is Razer's Blade laptop, which is $2800.

I think it's priced pretty well, I can't see Dell, Sony, or Samsung, releasing a laptop with the same specs and selling it for any less. Apple's other non-"Retina" laptops need to get like a $200 price drop. They'd still be overpriced then, but at least somewhat closer to price ranges of other higher end laptops.

LarkStarr June 11, 2012 02:46 PM

Blah blah blah blah.. when your 'finger thin' laptop starts to overheat or become uncomfortably hot, I don't want to hear you all complaining :P

Soullessone21 June 11, 2012 02:53 PM

Asus N series all the way, My dick is big enough that I don't need a mac to feel like a man :P

But I will probably be selling a cheap 15" MBP in the coming weeks as I completed all my 2012 apple Training again about 10 min ago and the last 3 trainings I won something good :P.

The Macbook pro is super over priced, the 650M at 1800P to me doesn't feel like it will be great gaming, dropped down to 1080 it will be great but then again I would get the N56SV from Asus or a Nice GT6 MSI and save a grand for a holiday with the kids :P

Their flash HDD's are crap total and absolute crap, if you score one with a Samsung HDD then horde it for life but chances are you will get the Toshiba drive that fails like crazy.

lowfat June 11, 2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SneakySnake (Post 633845)

Best laptop on the market in my opinion. Nothing else comes close in terms of performance for the battery life and weight. Only other laptop that comes to mind that's powerful at that form factor is Razer's Blade laptop, which is $2800.

I think it's priced pretty well, I can't see Dell, Sony, or Samsung, releasing a laptop with the same specs and selling it for any less. Apple's other non-"Retina" laptops need to get like a $200 price drop. They'd still be overpriced then, but at least somewhat closer to price ranges of other higher end laptops.

The screen puts it in a league of its own. Until other manufacturers start using similar screens I wouldn't consider any other 15" portable.

Caldezar June 11, 2012 03:14 PM

I'll pick up a retina display model closer to Christmas. That screen is absolutely amazing! What's killing me though is the $600 upcharge for the 512GB SSD. I'll likely go with a standard 256 model and use an external HDD. Just a pain in the a$$. I'd have liked to see the option to get the retina display with a standard HDD for larger storage capacity options.

SneakySnake June 11, 2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soullessone21 (Post 633858)
Their flash HDD's are crap total and absolute crap, if you score one with a Samsung HDD then horde it for life but chances are you will get the Toshiba drive that fails like crazy.

Source?

My experience, having actually owned a 2011 MacBook Air with the "Toshiba drive that fails like crazy" is that it Apple's flash + OS X Lion, is faster then Vertex 3 + Windows 7. My coworker has the vertex 3 in his 2011 XPS laptop. I beat him by 5 seconds on boot, can open MS Office faster, shut down faster, etc.

I'm failing to see how my real life experience with their flash chips was "crap total and absolute crap".

Perineum June 11, 2012 03:27 PM

He works with them?

He has more experience with them than you do?

Arinoth June 11, 2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SneakySnake (Post 633869)
Source?

My experience, having actually owned a 2011 MacBook Air with the "Toshiba drive that fails like crazy" is that it Apple's flash + OS X Lion, is faster then Vertex 3 + Windows 7. My coworker has the vertex 3 in his 2011 XPS laptop. I beat him by 5 seconds on boot, can open MS Office faster, shut down faster, etc.

I'm failing to see how my real life experience with their flash chips was "crap total and absolute crap".

He works at a repair depot that deals quite a bit with Apple Computers.

Eldonko June 11, 2012 03:39 PM

You are my hero :thumb:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soullessone21 (Post 633858)
My dick is big enough that I don't need a mac to feel like a man


Mars June 11, 2012 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SneakySnake (Post 633845)
Best laptop on the market in my opinion. Nothing else comes close in terms of performance for the battery life and weight. Only other laptop that comes to mind that's powerful at that form factor is Razer's Blade laptop, which is $2800.

I think it's priced pretty well, I can't see Dell, Sony, or Samsung, releasing a laptop with the same specs and selling it for any less. Apple's other non-"Retina" laptops need to get like a $200 price drop. They'd still be overpriced then, but at least somewhat closer to price ranges of other higher end laptops.

Pretty much agree with everything here - and this is coming from someone who doesn't own any Apple products. (Just experience in using work-provided toys)

I do hope Razer sticks it out with laptops and is able to price competitively; the Blade is a really nice build, but has some issues they need to work out - like Asus did with the Zenbook refresh.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:35 AM.