Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > Mac

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41 (permalink)  
Old June 12, 2012, 04:03 PM
AkG's Avatar
AkG AkG is offline
Hardware Canucks Reviewer
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,332
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
I am in my right mind, and I got a Galaxy 2 S X over any version of the iPhone anyday.

Larger screen > high resolution small screen.

And seriously, drop the term "retina", it's.... too maccy.
Bbbbbbut, its revolutionary! It can turn barely passable internet images into crisp, clean super images. Hell CSI depts all around the world plan on buying these as it will let the CSI Miami super zoom be TRUUUUUEEE.

Yeah seriously.....this is over-hyped BS that nearly no one will need, let alone use....but that wont stop the hipsters from buying it up.

The upside is that IF this sticks around long enough we may finally get internet images that don't suck....and maybe get over this 1080p movie BS....4K res here we come. :)

...just dont expect miracles even if Steve Jobs ghost did anoint it posthumously with his (salty yellow) "essences".
__________________
"If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe." -JR

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Reply With Quote
  #42 (permalink)  
Old June 12, 2012, 04:13 PM
Soullessone21's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Calgary AB
Posts: 1,322

My System Specs

Default

Job's was proof that there is true and pure evil in the world and that the less then intelligent world will and has followed the devil into corruption over spending a destroyed families do to jealousy and obsession with one upping everyone around you. The media made him into a hero and a god, even though he could care less about anyone or anything on this planet. Thank the stars for Karma and greed as those two things bitch slapped his useless greed pushing ass into a early grave.

Even the original mastermind of Apple Steve Wozniak saw him as pure even and got as far from him as he could.

Was it not a great feeling the day Apple got bought up by Microsoft and you knew that at least some of Apple/Job's money was finally going to people who cared about the world. Gates is proof that there is light in humanity and that absolute power does not corrupt absolute.

Thank you God/Gods/Buddha/Alla and any other being who put a end to the darkness.

Think this was meant for the rants section hahaha


Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Bbbbbbut, its revolutionary! It can turn barely passable internet images into crisp, clean super images. Hell CSI depts all around the world plan on buying these as it will let the CSI Miami super zoom be TRUUUUUEEE.

Yeah seriously.....this is over-hyped BS that nearly no one will need, let alone use....but that wont stop the hipsters from buying it up.

The upside is that IF this sticks around long enough we may finally get internet images that don't suck....and maybe get over this 1080p movie BS....4K res here we come. :)

...just dont expect miracles even if Steve Jobs ghost did anoint it posthumously with his (salty yellow) "essences".
Reply With Quote
  #43 (permalink)  
Old June 12, 2012, 04:21 PM
SneakySnake's Avatar
MVP
F@H
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Waterloo
Posts: 296

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
I am in my right mind, and I got a Galaxy 2 S X over any version of the iPhone anyday.

Larger screen > high resolution small screen.

And seriously, drop the term "retina", it's.... too maccy.

To me, and most everyone else that doesn't believe in Mac magic, a higher resolution was a way of using a much bigger monitor without the DPI going too low.

IE: 21 inch 1080p vs a 27 inch 1080p. Yes, one is bigger, but the DPI starts to approach a limit where the pixels are starting to get too big.

However, a 30" monitor at 2560x1600 is bigger but still has a usable DPI

Doubling the pixels of a postage stamp still makes a stamp, and it doesn't look any better. It's too small to make use of the additional resolution anyway.
Fine i'll say high resolution. And I said like 4 android phones in my post. Nice of you to pick out the iPhone and hate on that.

high resolution large screen (Galaxy Nexus, One X, Galaxy S3) > large screen.

How do you not understand that ultra high resolution is now a necessity for every major smartphone coming out. Why on earth would you purchase a phone that doesn't have it. You have your choice of a bunch of phones, all sporting various screen sizes. Every major phone OEM's flagship phone is ultra high res.

I'm simply telling you that high resolution is awesome AND standard on smartphones, therefore it is a necessity for every new smartphone to have. Anyone without extreme vision problems can immediately tell the difference between a high resolution phone screen, and a low resolution one of the identical screen size. 3.5" iPhone 3GS vs 3.5" iPhone 4. The quality difference is night and day. Even just on the homescreen. This applies to every single smartphone. 4.5" GS2, vs 4.5" GS3 (dunno actual screen size of the galaxies, just guessing), the difference is night and day.

If dell, apple, sony, samsung, etc. were all releasing laptops with 2880x1800 res, that feature becomes a necessity, because everyone has it. If you don't have it, your product is inferior. Am I saying 2880x1800 is a necessity at the moment. Nope, not at all, it's just a luxury at the moment. It'll be standard though in about 5 years.

Last edited by SneakySnake; June 12, 2012 at 04:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #44 (permalink)  
Old June 12, 2012, 04:59 PM
lowfat's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Posts: 7,972

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJunky View Post
That is the point though. This is not something magical that will make resized images look crisp. If it looks like crap on normal display it is going to look like crap on a retina display.
BUT
If it looks good on a normal display it is going to look good on a retina display.

Where things get interesting is when the software takes advantages of the retina display to use those extra tiiiny pixels for things like font smoothing and UI elements. Or even games. Who needs antialiasing if your game supports this retina setup?
You nailed it with this post.
Reply With Quote
  #45 (permalink)  
Old June 12, 2012, 05:19 PM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
The only thing apple has set the bar on is screen resolution which we are currently arguing makes no sense. Apple really isn't innovating very much, they are just taking other peoples tech and putting it into a laptop the same as any other OEM. They take the same parts as other people and just charge more and offer above average customer service.

P.S I really hope apple hasn't "set the bar" with ram sticks being soldered onto the logic board otherwise i will be super pissed. I guess they really want you to pay them $100 for that 2gb ram upgrade so you can't do your own for $20.
That is an unfair argument as any new technological features or refinement that are introduced is generally not seen as practical at first, but if you don't give it a shot you will never know what it would become. Technology is meant to push practical boundaries if everyone had the same pessimistic mindset we would still be using Nokia 3360's and driving Kia's. I am not defending the Apple specifically but the way technologies advance and put into use, if it was RIM who was doing this I would still be support it for the exact same reason, though I would doubt it still be so negatively received by some people.

Seriously? You're going to drag soldered ram into an argument regarding industry display standards with the retina display? Illusory correlation much?
Reply With Quote
  #46 (permalink)  
Old June 12, 2012, 05:22 PM
AkG's Avatar
AkG AkG is offline
Hardware Canucks Reviewer
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,332
Default

Actually...this thread is on the new MBP...not just the panel. If Apple was selling this panel as a stand alone...yeah I would be tempted to buy it - even with the downsides of being on the cutting edge of tech. BUT this thread is on a 2K+ laptop...with non-upgradeabe ram...and a MSATA drive that sounds iffy at best.
__________________
"If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe." -JR

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Reply With Quote
  #47 (permalink)  
Old June 12, 2012, 05:46 PM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Actually...this thread is on the new MBP...not just the panel. If Apple was selling this panel as a stand alone...yeah I would be tempted to buy it - even with the downsides of being on the cutting edge of tech. BUT this thread is on a 2K+ laptop...with non-upgradeabe ram...and a MSATA drive that sounds iffy at best.
Glad someone is on the same page. I have no qualms with people complaining about soldered ram and MSATA and the price, because that argument is completely fine, but when some people are so blinded by their dislike for Apple that they stomp on the fundamental and foundations of technological progression, it feels slightly hypocritical as everything we have nowadays are rooted from pushing boundaries and practicality.
Reply With Quote
  #48 (permalink)  
Old June 12, 2012, 07:28 PM
Perineum's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Surrey, B.C.
Posts: 4,039

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
Fine i'll say high resolution. And I said like 4 android phones in my post. Nice of you to pick out the iPhone and hate on that.
Actually, iPhone was one of the first smartphones I liked....

I absolutely refused to allow myself to get one because of the current new generation of iFans. I absolutely did not want to be approached on the street by some hipster who just left his $10 a cup "java" store and for him to try and relate to me on his level.

Basically I dislike the typical user of Macs and Apple products. I can't stand that they talk to me like they know something about computers and know this secret that I couldn't possibly know because I use a PC. Basically, they kept browsing porn and accepting every single popup as the gospel truth, and couldn't keep the PC running for longer than 3 weeks. Of course when they went to Mac that didn't happen anymore, simply due to running a Mac. Is it magical? In their stupidity they think so. However it's just a simple lesson of security through obscurity.

I've never liked Apple as a company, but I've owned several Apple computers in my time.

The old school Mac users that went from 680x0 (OMG! what's that!) to PPC are pretty decent for the most part, I don't think they're delusional.

By delusional I mean:

- Mac is server grade hardware.
- Macs can't get viruses
- Apple invented the mouse
- Anything your PC can do my Mac can do better

.... just to name a few.

... and I still do not see the point of these severely high res screens. I'm not going to shun them or anything, if my phone has it then great, but it's not even close to being a selling feature for me.

Selling features for me are user upgradable memory and a removable battery.

*cough*
Reply With Quote
  #49 (permalink)  
Old June 12, 2012, 07:47 PM
AkG's Avatar
AkG AkG is offline
Hardware Canucks Reviewer
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,332
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoc View Post
Glad someone is on the same page. I have no qualms with people complaining about soldered ram and MSATA and the price, because that argument is completely fine, but when some people are so blinded by their dislike for Apple that they stomp on the fundamental and foundations of technological progression, it feels slightly hypocritical as everything we have nowadays are rooted from pushing boundaries and practicality.

Oh I know what your saying. My 3 original points were a) just because it has a super high res pannel - doesnt mean the laptop aint crap. b) Picking this laptop because it "pushes boundaries" is stupid. Unless you plan on using this laptop for work its wasted. Wait for the standalone monitor(s) c) most consumers who dont have their ego wrapped up in it will hate it. It will -at best - be a feature they never use...and at worst turn iffy over compressed (but passable on smaller res screens) images into crap.

Apple users expect their toys to "just work". This aint just working. Its bleeding edge tech and will have major caveats...just like any other bleeding edge tech. Just another great way to part iTards from their money in another years time when the "new and improved" (aka FIXED) version comes on the scene.
__________________
"If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe." -JR

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Reply With Quote
  #50 (permalink)  
Old June 12, 2012, 07:57 PM
MVP
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 493
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Oh I know what your saying. My 3 original points were a) just because it has a super high res pannel - doesnt mean the laptop aint crap. b) Picking this laptop because it "pushes boundaries" is stupid. Unless you plan on using this laptop for work its wasted. Wait for the standalone monitor(s) c) most consumers who dont have their ego wrapped up in it will hate it. It will -at best - be a feature they never use...and at worst turn iffy over compressed (but passable on smaller res screens) images into crap.
I've explained in this thread already, every raster image will look exactly the same as on the 1440x900 Macbook.

Using this screen for work in a high-resolution sense wouldn't be particularly useful - the maximum scaling option is 1920x1200, you're not going to be able to display any larger images than that on the screen without scrolling.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Please tell me the point of a retina screened ipad muse108dc Mobile Computing 18 March 2, 2012 06:57 PM
Macbook DHCP kendallcschm Mac 5 April 2, 2011 11:10 AM
new macbook air m1dget Mac 20 December 5, 2010 07:46 PM
RAM for Macbook Pro Skootles RAM 5 December 2, 2008 07:15 PM
[WTB] Macbook Pro CrazyScott Buy/Sell & Trade 0 November 30, 2008 07:54 AM