Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > Mac

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 11, 2012, 03:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
Source? And I wouldn't be so quick on the draw, especially considering that every new generation of laptops with flash hdd's, has also gotten a new generation of flash hdd's. Their previous one's in the 2011 hardware were very good. I had an 11" MacBook Air with a toshiba drive in it. My computer booted faster then my coworkers quad core XPS laptop with vertex 3.
My source... WORKING AT THE APPLE STORE!!! haha I work for a repair site, we mostly repair Apple and Asus in Warranty but also get Acer,Lenovo and HP warranty. The Macbook air is a great system when it has the Samsung HDD, but for the money if you get a Toshiba drive its still plenty fast and kicks the crap out of any dell, acer ,hp on the market but the drives do fail. We have seen a massive number of them fail enough that Apple has given all repair sites the ability to replace the HDD's if we see signs of failing free to the customer even out of warranty :).

This is not just apple that has this issue, The Zen book does as well, for the Zenbook its not that the drive dies its that the OS gets corrupted and a reload is needed.

I just wish they fit a normal 2.5" drive in, I know its hard with the height and size but its a lot more stable.

I in no way mean to say their product is the worst cuz in all honesty apple is my #3 company I would buy a system from and other then the top 3 I would not buy anything Else
#1 Asus -Worked with their team for years great people and love the look of all their products except the G series
#2 MSI, RMA to die for and a great all round team, and always trying to innovate and not afraid to fail
#3 Apple Kewl toys, the mac mini is great for work, very simple to use enough so that I gave both my mom and Grandma a imac each, and their loving them. I have owned about 5 macbook pro's every time I fall into the hype every time they disappoint me in power.
Contests will be done on there from now on :)
http://realhardwarereviews.com/
Always up for a Beer in Calgary or Area

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”
Old June 11, 2012, 05:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I'm not all that excited about the screen... The GPU isn't strong enough to push that res in games and you can't find movies in that res anyways. Honestly Apple has great customer service and if you want to spend that kind of money on a facebook machine be my guest but when it comes to gaming and work (with the programs I use which are mostly for drawing and rendering maps) I wouldn't buy anything other than a PC.
Old June 11, 2012, 05:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Source?

My experience, having actually owned a 2011 MacBook Air with the "Toshiba drive that fails like crazy" is that it Apple's flash + OS X Lion, is faster then Vertex 3 + Windows 7. My coworker has the vertex 3 in his 2011 XPS laptop. I beat him by 5 seconds on boot, can open MS Office faster, shut down faster, etc.

I'm failing to see how my real life experience with their flash chips was "crap total and absolute crap".
He didn't say slow like crazy, he said "fails like crazy", there is a big difference there.

Edit: This was supposed to be edited into the last post zzzz I worked for too long today my brain is fried
Old June 11, 2012, 06:22 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soullessone21 View Post
My source... WORKING AT THE APPLE STORE!!! haha I work for a repair site, we mostly repair Apple and Asus in Warranty but also get Acer,Lenovo and HP warranty. The Macbook air is a great system when it has the Samsung HDD, but for the money if you get a Toshiba drive its still plenty fast and kicks the crap out of any dell, acer ,hp on the market but the drives do fail. We have seen a massive number of them fail enough that Apple has given all repair sites the ability to replace the HDD's if we see signs of failing free to the customer even out of warranty :).

This is not just apple that has this issue, The Zen book does as well, for the Zenbook its not that the drive dies its that the OS gets corrupted and a reload is needed.

I just wish they fit a normal 2.5" drive in, I know its hard with the height and size but its a lot more stable.

I in no way mean to say their product is the worst cuz in all honesty apple is my #3 company I would buy a system from and other then the top 3 I would not buy anything Else
#1 Asus -Worked with their team for years great people and love the look of all their products except the G series
#2 MSI, RMA to die for and a great all round team, and always trying to innovate and not afraid to fail
#3 Apple Kewl toys, the mac mini is great for work, very simple to use enough so that I gave both my mom and Grandma a imac each, and their loving them. I have owned about 5 macbook pro's every time I fall into the hype every time they disappoint me in power.
I guess that's a solid source :P

I just kinda assumed from the nature of your posts that you were a anti-mac fanboy, my apoligies.

Quote:
I'm not all that excited about the screen... The GPU isn't strong enough to push that res in games and you can't find movies in that res anyways. Honestly Apple has great customer service and if you want to spend that kind of money on a facebook machine be my guest but when it comes to gaming and work (with the programs I use which are mostly for drawing and rendering maps) I wouldn't buy anything other than a PC.
Run your game at 1440x900, it'll look entirely native. The new macbook pro's specs are the exact same as the Alienware M14x CPU and GPU wise. It'll game pretty good. And movies will be this res soon enough. 4K TV's are coming.
Old June 11, 2012, 06:48 PM
MVP

My System Specs

This is a very nice laptop. Apple deserves credit for packing that kind of resolution into a space where 1366x768 is still common.
Old June 11, 2012, 07:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
I guess that's a solid source :P

I just kinda assumed from the nature of your posts that you were a anti-mac fanboy, my apoligies.

Run your game at 1440x900, it'll look entirely native. The new macbook pro's specs are the exact same as the Alienware M14x CPU and GPU wise. It'll game pretty good. And movies will be this res soon enough. 4K TV's are coming.
Still not that strong, especially gaming on a mac where you lose a couple frames with the same hardware in gaming... I have nothing against mac's people love them, they have great customer service (which you pay out the ass for) but at the end of the day in my eyes it is a $2200 facebook machine with an awesome screen you wont use for anything that is worth the price. Good luck downloading those movies with a bandwidth cap because lets face it disks aren't going to last long. Moving up to that res in movies will surely be the end of the disk. Not to mention they had 1080p televisions long before there was any 1920x1080 content.

Don't get me wrong it is an impressive machine it just isn't practical.

Last edited by JJThomp; June 11, 2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old June 11, 2012, 09:04 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Well CPU wise it's about as strong as you can get. GPU wise there's obviously more powerful options, but for the computers target audience the 650M is more then adequate. I don't anyone is trying to pass off the MacBook pro as a gaming laptop. It's a powerful laptop that can game.

A few sweet features that were given in the product video was that in Final Cut Pro X you can have a full 1080p video playing in the editor window, while still having all your editing tools surrounding the video for full featured video editing, but being able able to view your edits in realtime still in 1080p. Also, for photographers the screen is a dream, as they have way more pixels in which to view their pics.

But the biggest awesome thing isn't for Photos or video editing. It's just the day to day use. The retina displays on smartphones have become a necessary feature for any smartphone looking to be accepted. That's simply cuz the crazy resolution makes images look so good. Everything from a simple text to a 3d game. Everything looks better at higher resolution. (except for maybe movies, sometimes I don't want to spot all the makeup and pimples on the actors face xD )
Old June 12, 2012, 10:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

necessary feature? No, not even close.
Old June 12, 2012, 11:01 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yeah because we all want to make most images on the itarwebs either look like crap or be itty-bitty. :/

Super hi-def monitors are indeed a good thing in the LONG TERM...but outside of image or movie editing...its mainly wasted right now....AND decreases battery life from all accounts.

Does this mean I dont want a super dupper 24" monitor with similar uber DPI...oh hells no! I do a LOT of image editing and it would be a god send!! Just not on a laptop.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 12, 2012, 11:09 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Yeah because we all want to make most images on the itarwebs either look like crap or be itty-bitty. :/
It won't do this - if you have the OS set to 1440x900 mode, raster images will look exactly the same as if you were at 1440x900, as every pixel of image data will be represented by 4 pixels on the screen. Text and UI elements will be the same size as they would be at 1440x900, but will be more detailed.