My System Specs

Default Mac OSX on PC

I heard from a friend that you can install Mac OS X on a PC
has anyone here done it?
Old February 15, 2012, 02:22 PM
F@H

My System Specs

hackintosh at DuckDuckGo

Maximum PC | How to Build Your Own Hackintosh (The max PC article is pretty old so something from the other link might be better)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old February 15, 2012, 02:36 PM
Allstar

What exactly do you mean running on PC? Like dual booting with Win 7 & OSX or just OSX on generic PC hardware? If it's the latter, I done it using the iBoot method.

iBoot

My sister's rig:

Intel Q6600
Gigabyte P45UDL3 (I think)
Nvidia 9800GT

I say the rig is 95% functional. It won't sleep without crashing and no wireless module that work completely out of box. So the machine stays on all the time and I just use a TP Link wireless client to connect to my wireless router.

If you follow the hardware list or the suggested build list, it should be pretty easy.
Old February 15, 2012, 02:39 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

is there a compatible parts list?
I have a i7 2600k
P8z68-v gen 3 board
GTX 580
crucial m4 ssd
Old February 15, 2012, 02:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

insanelymac.com
check the wiki and the forum.
Old February 15, 2012, 06:07 PM
Allstar

Category:Hardware - tonymacx86 Wiki

Most of the board that work close to 100% out of box will be Gigabyte. But I read people do use Asus boards and 580 video cards.
Old February 16, 2012, 04:38 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

If you can devote time to it, you can create a Chameleon EFI and run MAC OS X with it. But if you want it automatic and all the hard work done (which I wish I have found out sooner after 2weeks of trial and error with Chameleon) Download the EMPIRE EFI, which incorporates the Chameleon EFI into a bootable disk. Also if your willing to spend some money, I bought a copy of Snow Leopard for $30 upgrade version at my local tech shop.. Ohh here is the links for it, haven't used them for a long while but this is where I learn it from:
OSX86/Hackint0sh | Prasys' Blog
Chameleon: Articles about Mac OS X developments, reviews and other things I like

If I remember you need chameleon to boot you can choose from both but if you want to save time use the Empire EFI. Also after you manage to install Mac OS X, you need to find compatible drivers in the internet. Might take a while but there might be some compatible for Mac.
Old March 9, 2012, 02:31 AM
Lyserberg

If you have a PC why you want to run Mac on it? Honestly this whole thing is rediculus!
Old March 13, 2012, 12:54 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyserberg View Post
If you have a PC why you want to run Mac on it? Honestly this whole thing is rediculus!
Why not? Running OS X on a PC is much cheaper than buying the Apple product, yet the hardware specs will be better.
Old March 13, 2012, 02:51 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigFOIG View Post
Why not? Running OS X on a PC is much cheaper than buying the Apple product, yet the hardware specs will be better.
people always say it's better, and cheaper

the build quality is different, the overall experience is different.. you can't readily replicate it.. and the fact that you have to go and figure out some compatibility issues, and not everything works right, etc.. just not worth the hassle and distracts from that experience

specs isn't everything.. it's like saying a Honda Accord has 4 doors, must be better than a BMW with only two doors..

i have both pc and mac laptops and a c2d macbook was still usable when c2d pc laptop was a junker.. macbook pro was rated as the best windows 7 laptop wasn't it by pc world?

-joe