Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > Mac

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 24, 2012, 04:02 AM
Allstar

Default IPad 2 Chinese handwriting

Can anyone confirm that the IPad2 can accept handwriting using finger as text input. My don't really like the traditional laptop & desktop so my siblings and I thought about getting her an IPad2. Basically, she should be able to handwrite Chinese words into the browser's search bar, write notes and emails.
Old January 24, 2012, 06:26 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

It does but good luck using it. IMO, the surface isn't responsive enough for the fine-grain detail of Chinese hand writing. Even the different stylus designs available all have overly large nubs.

You can however buy an app which will switch the keyboard into different non-QWERTY layouts, including Chinese.
Old January 24, 2012, 09:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

My mom has no major issues with traditional Chinese writing on her Ipad2. The surface isn't responsive enough to get the words right every time, but the software is smart enough to make good guesses. I would imagine it would be even better for simplified Chinese.
Old January 24, 2012, 06:34 PM
Allstar

Yeah but can it be input directly into a browser's text field and search field?
Old February 6, 2012, 08:25 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Yes, it is a second keyboard that's available literally everywhere where you use the keyboard. Just set it to your default one, or have it setup as an international keyboard, and you'll see a little globe button in the corner of the qwerty keyboard that will switch to the handwriting one.