Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > Mac

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 23, 2012, 10:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoc View Post
I like how everybody on the forum here praises when a new high res monitor comes into the market, but if the company in question is Apple, suddenly 768p or 900p is superior to 1800p and any higher res is stupid.

Come on people, there is text, font and size scaling integrated in to modern OSes. If you're going to hate, don't just blindly hate.
They are not knocking it because it is Apple, they are knocking it because that high of a res on a notebook is just a stupid marketing ploy. That is really all anything from Apple is lately, just like the ipad 3. They will go on and on saying how they are reinventing everything while it is just a high res screen with some already outdated hardware running a very restrictive OS.

I can't imagine how many people would have issues with that high of res on a notebook. Hell we have people at work that have to increase font size and magnify and such on 2560x1600 30" monitors.

I know it is an Apple, but could you imagine trying to play anything on it? You wouldn't be able to run anything at the native res as I just don't see you having the power to push it.

Old February 23, 2012, 10:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well, see, pixel doubling! 1440x900! Then people can see the icons and text and the display should not look bad.
Old February 24, 2012, 08:03 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Then why pay for 2880*1800 if you are not going to use it?
Old February 24, 2012, 08:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm sure they can render the desktop and OS to look normal, but what will the applications look like? A re-sized mess? Or tiny? Need more info to see if this could actually work.

I've used a 1600x1200 17" old ibm laptop and I could barely see a damn thing and I have perfect vision
Old February 26, 2012, 11:02 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_HT View Post
I've used a 1600x1200 17" old ibm laptop and I could barely see a damn thing and I have perfect vision
You have x-ray vision?
Old February 27, 2012, 09:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
You have x-ray vision?
obviously!
Old February 28, 2012, 11:54 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoc View Post
I like how everybody on the forum here praises when a new high res monitor comes into the market, but if the company in question is Apple, suddenly 768p or 900p is superior to 1800p and any higher res is stupid.

Come on people, there is text, font and size scaling integrated in to modern OSes. If you're going to hate, don't just blindly hate.
Most people praising higher resolutions on monitors are either gamers or people who do some sort of design work, also these higher resolutions normally come one 30" monitors.

The reason most are mocking this, imo, is that there is not a single or sli mobile video card that will run this well for gaming or rendering making it totally useless, since that is what this kind of screen is mainly intended for. Sure you can scale down the resolution but at how much this screen is probably going to cost that's a waist of alot of money just to make it look a bit smoother if at all. A 30" monitor with lower res runs around 1000, so I can't imagine what apple will charge for a smaller screen with a way higher resolution. By the time apple is done with this it will probably cost more than a boutique laptop, but have a fancy screen and 1 video card instead of sli or xfire and a lower end I7 cpu. I will be totally amazed if the laptop this screen gets stuck in is anywhere close to 2500 just going by the basic price of a 17" MacBook Pro

MacBook Pro 17"
2.4GHz quad-core
Intel Core i7
<LI class=description>4GB 1333MHz <LI class=description>750GB 5400-rpm1<LI class=description>Intel HD Graphics 3000 <LI class=description>AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 1GB GDDR5 <LI class=description>Built-in battery (7 hours)2
  • In Stock
  • Free Shipping
  • $2,499.00
You have got to be kidding me. Add 4GB ram for the low price of $210, at this price it should already have 8GB of ram along with a 7200 rpm drive($50 option), also for 250 you can upgrade to a 2.5Ghz cpu. With this screen with will be 3000+ easy. You can buy 2-3 equivalent notebooks for this, but school boards around here think it's a great use of tax payers money to buy these things and have few computers for students.

I've played around with some peoples macs and they do somethings pretty nice and if they didn't price gouge so much I may consider getting one but, most people who I know who have bought macs are because "they never break" and "never get spyware/virus infected" and are finding out other wise.

It's not blind hate, it's practicality and getting bang for your buck.
Old February 28, 2012, 11:15 PM
Top Prospect

I guess all generational leaps comes with it's skeptics. But for me I welcome someone pushing the bar and setting a new standard for others to follow, rather than just following the status quo and letting the industry stagnate.
Old February 28, 2012, 11:46 PM
MVP

It's not really a problem for gaming - I'm assuming there'll be some setting to default games to 1440x900 - exactly 1/4 the area of the full-res screen, so you can use 4 monitor pixels per GPU output pixel, with none of the usual effects of scaling LCDs to non-native resolutions.
Old February 29, 2012, 02:05 AM

Personally I'm VERY excited to see higher resolution displays. If it takes Apple to push the industry to bring these markets, then I salute them.

Everyone else seems to be content with commodity "1080p" monitors. Omg it has an LED backlight. Bring on the high pixel density stuff.

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647