Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > Mac

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 21, 2011, 03:33 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
No thanks. My 1600 x 900 laptop display already makes text and icons small enough.
This is why i love my Y470. I thought 1366x768 wouldnt be enough, but its actually perfect. Nice big clear text and its easier on the gaming aspect too
Old December 21, 2011, 07:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I assume Apple will be doing the same thing they did when they went to the retina screen on the iphone 4. Double the resolution but make things the same "relative" size. Basically smoother edges and a crisper image while maintaining the size. I seriously hope this is what they're doing. If not it'd be awful to try and read.
Old December 22, 2011, 07:24 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

They don't do TVs under 32inches with 1080p because it is plain stupid to try the see a difference. I don't really care on a 17'' laptop ...

You want great resolution / graphics, get a real computer.

Gameplay > Graphics ... oh wait

Food > Gameplay > Graphics > Movies > Sleep > Work
Old December 22, 2011, 10:16 AM

My System Specs

Text and font should should be better than previous generation screens, at least with OSX.

As for being able to see the difference, you definitely should be able too. Unless you have the display 6 feet away maybe.
Old December 22, 2011, 01:42 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayoo View Post
You want great resolution / graphics, get a real computer.
Since it's not made of cheese, I'm pretty sure a notebook is a real computer. It's a niche market to deal with resolution/graphics with portability. Unless you take your desktop with you everywhere you go, in which case I'm assuming that it must be a real PITA setting up at a coffee shop.
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old December 23, 2011, 09:51 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
You know, I've been a PC guy for sometime now and I suppose I'm at the stage where there's not much interest in having a shagging, money sucking machine anymore and prefer clean simplicity. Given the options out there, Apple's line is absolutely gorgeous and more then satisfies my style. So why not ?

PC market is dieing a slow death march - no matter what people are saying. Laptops, pads and smart phones are dominating the market now and I'm really starting to appreciate the Apple line. I don't own a laptop at this time but if this bird comes out in the Summer, I'm all over it so long as it has a decent graphic processor to boot.
+1

I know this forum is certainly a PC loving one but I recently made the transision to Apple products and I am glad I did. I have the high res anti glare 15" MacBook Pro with the Thunderbolt monitor and I love it. Gone are the mess of cables and bulky boxes that throw mass amounts of heat. I guess I am just getting too old for that to really interest me anymore. My work station is clean, clutter free and the aesthetics are right up my alley. I have complete mobility when needed and a fantasic 27" monitor to enjoy when at home. Added to that, each day its seems the future is more and more about mobility than ultra high performing PC's....just my 2 cents.

As for the 2880x1800 I welcome it will certainly pick up a new MBP with it and hopefully Apple updates the Thunderbolt monitor with it as well.

Last edited by p3t3rson; December 23, 2011 at 11:36 AM.
Old January 13, 2012, 10:07 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

The best screen would be infinite pixels (wouldn't really be pixels obviously at that point, some other tech instead). Why is moving towards that goal a 'no thank you'.

PS: I think apple's engineers are maybe smart enough to figure out text size, seeing as they can apply the identical property that the Retina Display on their phones use. Also, there's no loss in graphics performance having a screen at that res, because you can just set your game to 1440x900 and you get an image that looks identical to a native 1440x900 15" screen. That's the beauty of pixel mapping. Viola!!
Old January 13, 2012, 10:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3t3rson View Post
Gone are the mess of cables and bulky boxes that throw mass amounts of heat. I guess I am just getting too old for that to really interest me anymore.
uhh, considering a Mac is just a PC to begin with then I would just build a PC that didn't do that?
Old January 14, 2012, 08:11 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
No thanks. My 1600 x 900 laptop display already makes text and icons small enough.
I agree, for a laptop it a decent enough resolution, for a 17'' 1920x1080 is workable but for me it's the upper limit. Advancing in age and forced to wear glasses, I find that even 1920 x 1080 is tiring when you need to read stuff for a lengthy period of time.

Old February 23, 2012, 09:38 PM
Top Prospect

I like how everybody on the forum here praises when a new high res monitor comes into the market, but if the company in question is Apple, suddenly 768p or 900p is superior to 1800p and any higher res is stupid.

Come on people, there is text, font and size scaling integrated in to modern OSes. If you're going to hate, don't just blindly hate.