Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > Mac

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 3, 2011, 10:28 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
You can setup specific applications to open on specific Spaces. And all I need to do to switch between them is just the application in the dock, and it brings the focus to that Space I haven't used Expose once since I started using Spaces properly. Also eliminates the need for multiple monitors. Spaces sucks unless you can set the application to always use that Space though, which is what Apple butchered in Lion.

Mail has its own Space, VNC has its one Space, iTunes has its own space. The three applications I use that require the most desktop real estate. Then I have Firefox, Adium, and pretty much all other applications set to the first Space.
So I tried spaces the way that you use it, and i really like that i can put certain apps in certain spaces. I like the fact that you can click that app on the dock and it takes you to that spaces. It turns out this functionality is also in lion. You just right click the app and you can assign it to a space and by clicking that app on the dock it goes to the space. anyways just thought i would let you know.

Bluetooth Apple Keyboad | Magic Mouse | Touchpad
| Mac OSX 10.7
3x Dell U2311H | Logitech G15 & G9 | Sennhesier HD555 | Windows 7 Pro
Old August 3, 2011, 12:55 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheator View Post
Its good to hear that it runs ok on Core i5, im wondering how it fares on older Core 2 Duos. I switched from OSX 10.6 to Windows 7 on my machine and its blazing fast. It will take alot to convince me to go to 10.7 now.
Well with 7 Safari tabs, iTunes playing and iPhoto open, system monitor shows only 10% CPU usage on my i5 so I would assume performance on a Core2 duo would be speedy as well.
Old August 4, 2011, 05:46 PM
Rookie

Early 2008 macbook pro, no change in performance before and after upgrade.
Old August 4, 2011, 11:04 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livestrong View Post
So I tried spaces the way that you use it, and i really like that i can put certain apps in certain spaces. I like the fact that you can click that app on the dock and it takes you to that spaces. It turns out this functionality is also in lion. You just right click the app and you can assign it to a space and by clicking that app on the dock it goes to the space. anyways just thought i would let you know.
And if you reboot does it continue to open on the space you assigned?
Old August 4, 2011, 11:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Spaces sounds like it was copied from AmigaOS, or any Linux window manager.
Old August 5, 2011, 05:27 AM
Rookie

Quote:
And if you reboot does it continue to open on the space you assigned?
Yes, they'll stay assigned

Bluetooth Apple Keyboad | Magic Mouse | Touchpad
| Mac OSX 10.7
3x Dell U2311H | Logitech G15 & G9 | Sennhesier HD555 | Windows 7 Pro
Old August 6, 2011, 08:17 PM
Rookie

Quote:
You can setup specific applications to open on specific Spaces. And all I need to do to switch between them is just the application in the dock, and it brings the focus to that Space I haven't used Expose once since I started using Spaces properly. Also eliminates the need for multiple monitors. Spaces sucks unless you can set the application to always use that Space though, which is what Apple butchered in Lion.

Mail has its own Space, VNC has its one Space, iTunes has its own space. The three applications I use that require the most desktop real estate. Then I have Firefox, Adium, and pretty much all other applications set to the first Space.
Not sure what VNC is but all Mac apps have can use the Full Screen so you don't need to assign iTunes or Mail to it's own space.. as soon as you go into Full Screen mode it dedicates it's own space for it.

I'm liking Lion a lot so far, I think the new trackpad gestures are great and the minor UI improvements are refreshing. I thought Mission Control and Launchpad were the stupidest things ever when they announced them but now I'm using them every day.. I'm also using Spaces as well which I never liked prior to Lion. Not sure how much benefit someone without a trackpad would see though.
Old August 6, 2011, 08:24 PM

My System Specs

Spaces was the only thing preventing me from buying it outright. But from what I've heard here it keeps assignment, which I was told it didn't. However I definitely will be waiting till 10.7.1 to buy. One some of the forums I go to there are tons of people which video and performance issues. I don't want to give up my perfectly stable machine.
Old August 6, 2011, 11:31 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Spaces was the only thing preventing me from buying it outright. But from what I've heard here it keeps assignment, which I was told it didn't. However I definitely will be waiting till 10.7.1 to buy. One some of the forums I go to there are tons of people which video and performance issues. I don't want to give up my perfectly stable machine.
Not a bad idea. Seems like a good chunk of people are doing that anyway.
One thing I haven't been too fond of is the amount of crashing my Chrome and FF has been doing..
PS is doing it a bit too.. Not sure if it's because I used TRIM hack for my SSD or not though..
Old August 7, 2011, 07:33 PM

My System Specs

Installed Lion today. First off fullscreen is poorly done IMO. It kills productivity for me. I don't want it take another 1-2 seconds to bring the dock in to view. It should fullscreen but still have the dock viewable.