Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > Mac

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 6, 2011, 03:07 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Question Uninstalling a program on a Mac

So forgive the dumb question but I am new to the Apple world. I had Parallels installed on my Mac Book Pro. Now within Parallels I had Windows 7 installed and Office 2010. I uninstalled Parallels by simply dragging the Parallels application icon into the trash bin but when I look at my hard space only 7GB was restored by eliminating Parallels. Surely, Parallels was a lot larger than 7GB. So how do I delete the remaining components of Parallels to regain my lost drive space?

EDIT: I just went into spotlight and searched Parallels and it found one Windows 7 file. So I dragged that into the trash can as well, which freed up another 7GB. So there anything else I have to do?

Last edited by p3t3rson; April 6, 2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old April 6, 2011, 04:08 PM

My System Specs

That is generally how you uninstall an application. I've never used Parallels before so I have no idea where it keeps the system image though. Although for most applications it keeps the preferences/data in ~/Library/Application Support
Old April 6, 2011, 04:47 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Certain apps have dedicated uninstallers to clean up the junk and services associated. Typically MS Office, VirtualBox, and I also believe Parallels have uninstaller tools.

Most neatly written apps are self contained and only require you to junk the icon.
Old April 6, 2011, 05:16 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Thanks guys, I used the install disk and it had an uninstall program included. Ran it, work like a charm