Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > Mac

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 2, 2011, 12:03 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Ipad 2

Ipad 2 was announced earlier today.

Apple (Canada) - iPad - All-new design. Video calls. HD video. And more.

Damn marketing dept. always making me want to buy stuff even though I probably don't need it.
Old March 2, 2011, 04:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Frankly from what I saw, it should be the iPad 1.5. Sure it is a little faster and has two cameras. The way Jobs and some of the press go on like this is some huge leap just drives me nuts.

Old March 2, 2011, 04:51 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

wake me up when the ipad 3 comes out
Old March 2, 2011, 05:11 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

That's apple for you.

The rush some crap out of the door and say "hey, we're amazing cause we're 1st"
then they actually come out with what the 1st one should have been, and make all the fanboys/girls buy it all over again. Twice the profit to put out one working device. *Yawn*

For all its strengths, its still going to be vastly overpowered by the Tegra 2 based tablets that are coming out "late". Let along the Pinetrail/Fusion offering that are coming.
Old March 2, 2011, 05:17 PM

My System Specs

It sure is a definite improvement. Although I will agree most of it should have happened from the get-go. Glad I didn't end up buying a first gen.
Old March 2, 2011, 06:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think I'm still gonna buy a Lenovo X120e over this... Compared to the recent hardwares like the Moto Xoom, I'm not very impressed

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old March 3, 2011, 10:30 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
Frankly from what I saw, it should be the iPad 1.5. Sure it is a little faster and has two cameras. The way Jobs and some of the press go on like this is some huge leap just drives me nuts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
wake me up when the ipad 3 comes out
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
That's apple for you.

The rush some crap out of the door and say "hey, we're amazing cause we're 1st"
then they actually come out with what the 1st one should have been, and make all the fanboys/girls buy it all over again. Twice the profit to put out one working device. *Yawn*

For all its strengths, its still going to be vastly overpowered by the Tegra 2 based tablets that are coming out "late". Let along the Pinetrail/Fusion offering that are coming.
Old March 3, 2011, 10:52 AM
MVP

the only thing that pic is missing is the insistence that the device is magical (I cant remember...but I think someone had counted the number of times Jobs said magical during his keynote)
Old March 3, 2011, 10:57 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

the only thing that's "magical" about Apple is how they attract so many ignorant customers to buy their substandard/overpriced products. Bah.

Ill stop ranting about this now, sorry.
Old March 3, 2011, 11:10 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I own an iPad and both me and the girlfriend have found a ton of uses for it (mostly for replacing paper-oriented tasks) but I'll admit that the iPad 2 really doesn't strike a cord with me.

The main reason for my lack of enthusiasm here is the fact that it makes changes in areas that really wouldn't affect how we use the device. It isn't used for playing games or much multitasking for that matter so the whole "faster processor / better GPU" aspect has the consumer in me saying "meh".

I don't give a damn about how thick (or thin) it is because I already find the iPad 1 downright flimsy. I would have liked to have seen straight sides instead of the angled back so gripping it would be a bit easier. Plus, 90% of the people out there will buy some form of case / skin / protector once they find out how prone it is to scratching. That of course will completely negate any fat trimming.

I also find Facetime downright gimmicky and won't whip out the 'Pad to take a photo so the lack of a camera update doesn't really concern me either. The proximity sensor is another item in the "who cares?" column to the point where Apple needed to design a raison d'etre in the form of an overpriced cover to protect the horribly scratch-prone screen.

The iPad is a great tool if used correctly and within its limits. In my opinion there isn't a single device on the market that even comes close (trust me, if you've tried the Xoom or Slate, you'd agree with me). Ironically, there isn't a single other Apple device in our house but the iPad has been one of the most-used tech items we have.

The iPad 2? Yawn.