Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > Mac

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 13, 2011, 09:45 PM
Allstar

My wife loves it and I enjoy bringing it with me to view my emails and stock market news while I'm forced to sit and watch a 'girlie' movie with the wife.

I will never buy Asus again, terrible notebooks with little to no support. They even took down there community forum do to the overwhelming complaints.

Ipad 2 is an incredible device to have as a tertiary device : PC then notebook then and IPAD.

She uses it on the Gotrain for her reading.

CHEERS
Old April 22, 2011, 02:22 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Any games/apps you can suggest?
I am not exactly a gamer but I am loving Dead Space HD right now.
Old April 28, 2011, 07:01 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I own an iPad and both me and the girlfriend have found a ton of uses for it (mostly for replacing paper-oriented tasks) but I'll admit that the iPad 2 really doesn't strike a cord with me.

The main reason for my lack of enthusiasm here is the fact that it makes changes in areas that really wouldn't affect how we use the device. It isn't used for playing games or much multitasking for that matter so the whole "faster processor / better GPU" aspect has the consumer in me saying "meh".

I don't give a damn about how thick (or thin) it is because I already find the iPad 1 downright flimsy. I would have liked to have seen straight sides instead of the angled back so gripping it would be a bit easier. Plus, 90% of the people out there will buy some form of case / skin / protector once they find out how prone it is to scratching. That of course will completely negate any fat trimming.

I also find Facetime downright gimmicky and won't whip out the 'Pad to take a photo so the lack of a camera update doesn't really concern me either. The proximity sensor is another item in the "who cares?" column to the point where Apple needed to design a raison d'etre in the form of an overpriced cover to protect the horribly scratch-prone screen.

The iPad is a great tool if used correctly and within its limits. In my opinion there isn't a single device on the market that even comes close (trust me, if you've tried the Xoom or Slate, you'd agree with me). Ironically, there isn't a single other Apple device in our house but the iPad has been one of the most-used tech items we have.

The iPad 2? Yawn.

Agreed, I have a 3G version and its a nice tool when used for what it is. I also agree with what was said previously, that their products are often a generation behind as far as hardware is concerned but it doesn't matter because their market is not necessarily the tech savvy crowd. I think that most people buying Mac are people that like it to be a one thing affair, meaning that they want to buy a computer and plug it and voila. Also, if you don't mind being prisoner to Apple ecosystem their products are pretty well integrated and work well together. I use both a PC desktop and an Apple laptop and Ipad and I am pretty satisfied with each product and to me they don't satisfied the same needs. That said, I am not running to the store buying the Ipad 2. Mine does the job and beside it's not like Ipads are cheap toys.

Last edited by Wurmer; May 1, 2011 at 07:05 AM.
Old April 29, 2011, 08:24 PM

My System Specs

Ya I wouldn't upgrade to an iPad 2 either if I already had one. I do like FaceTime, but man the cameras on the iPad 2 are garbage. 5 - 6 year old cell phones have higher quality. The camera on my iMac isn't exactly stellar, but the difference in quality is just outrageous. Not sure why they couldn't have invested a bit more and added a camera sensor like the one on the iPhone 4.
Old May 3, 2011, 04:31 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

We hardly ever use ours, I'll still grab my phone before the iPad.
I kinda wish it had a smaller screen and was lighter.if they made one half the size I'd be all over it.

Old May 4, 2011, 11:53 AM
Banned

What is (considered to be) the best ipad 2 clone or equivalent?
Old May 4, 2011, 10:51 PM

My System Specs

People will say the Xoom, but honestly there is none. The hardware of the Xoom is definitely nice. But iPad has a customer base eleventy times bigger, meaning more and highly quality apps.