Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > Mac

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 24, 2011, 04:08 PM
Associate Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDiaz View Post
There are a few

NCIX.com - Canada's Premier Computer Store - Great Technology, Service and Selection.

NCIX.com - Canada's Premier Computer Store - Great Technology, Service and Selection.

And again, I am not critizicing at all the gains, I am actually quite content, but the gains does not justify the insane prices. $2500 for a 15" notebook
You can compare a MacBook Pro to a Thinkpad or HP EliteBook, but not to a mediocre Toshiba Satellite.

As soon as you can configure the two models I listed with similar components to the MBP, you will see that the price premium isn't really that bad.
Old February 24, 2011, 04:10 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

There is over a $1000 price gap...
Old February 24, 2011, 04:29 PM
Associate Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDiaz View Post
There is over a $1000 price gap...
Again, totally irrelevant if you're comparing it to the Toshiba. It's not the same class of product in the least.
Old February 24, 2011, 06:42 PM
Allstar
F@H

I'm still not 100% convinced about the 13" MBP vs the Air - They should have tossed 1440x900 in for the res on them; the processor change is very welcome to say the least, and the Intel HD 3000 is only marginally lower than the 320M. The high end 15" seems to have the absolute best gains, and not one hell of a large price increase (Smart people will upgrade their own HDD/SSD and RAM instead of paying the AppleTax) which will help keep the prices at a minimum.

I have a little more investigating to do, in regards to that resolution, however I'm leaning slightly towards the new 13" for my light gaming and other needs - the 8GB of RAM option is pretty tempting....DAMMIT I JUST CAN'T DECIDE!
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old February 24, 2011, 07:42 PM
Associate Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neolithium_Wpg View Post
I'm still not 100% convinced about the 13" MBP vs the Air - They should have tossed 1440x900 in for the res on them; the processor change is very welcome to say the least, and the Intel HD 3000 is only marginally lower than the 320M.
The 13" model is indeed a disappointment because of the screen resolution.

They might win me over with the refreshed Macbook Air in June, but otherwise I'm sticking to Thinkpads.
Old February 25, 2011, 06:21 PM
Allstar
F@H

I've been reading over the forum threads all day on MR, it's got me leaning towards the air for the power + portability, though it's still a rather hard choice, the 13" + 256GB SSD is about the same price as a 13" MBA Ultimate, however the resolution really is pissing me off, I dunno if I want to deal with less than 1440x900 anymore.

Edit - Not sure if they'll be refreshing the MBA's this year, thunderbolt is a pretty nifty technology but I really doubt anything will happen with them until much later on this year (Say...October-ish)
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown