Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > Mac

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 24, 2011, 04:29 AM
Associate Review Editor

Well the base configs for all the new MacBook Pro's have been leaked, so look around if you're interested.
Old February 24, 2011, 01:43 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

OK just the opposite from what I expected... what a **** disappointment with the newer models. Sure the specs did get bumped a bit but prices went up for all models + the video adapter in the 13" model is worse than the old nVidia solution. AND on top of that battery life just went down... what a piece of shit.

$1800 for a 15" laptop.... wtf is wrong with these people
Old February 24, 2011, 01:59 PM

My System Specs

I don't see a problem with the current models. You should have expected that the 13" was going to drop Nvidia graphics since it is no longer a possibility to use Nvidia chipsets. And I think the battery life thing is just a more realistic number than previous generations. Apple always over inflates their battery life claims.

Last edited by lowfat; February 24, 2011 at 03:36 PM.
Old February 24, 2011, 02:07 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Expected to use nVidia? You got it backwards.... they had Nvidia graphics now they are using Intel HD. You probably mistyped that :P

I'm very shocked not gonna lie, was expecting more reasoning pricing behind the choices, no blu-ray either. It's just an extremely overpriced product right now
Old February 24, 2011, 03:09 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

? Apple aint cheap mate, dont know why you thought they were gonna slash all prices.

I'm very happy with the update and your missing a very key feature. The 13" model went the 2.4 GHz C2D with 320M to 2.3 Ghz Sandy Bridge with the HD 3000, which isn't great for gaming, but it's about on par with the 320M, and it has quicksync. And the 15" and 17" models went from dual core i5 (or i7 if you wanted to pay a poo load of money) to quad core sandy bridge across the board. That's more then just a performance bump...

It should've been obvious they weren't gonna use integrated nvidia,cuz intel doesn't allow other integrated chipsets other then theirs anymore, which is why the old 13" still had core 2 duo - so it could have a somewhat capable GPU.

7 hour batteries are still industry best for the performance your getting
Old February 24, 2011, 03:35 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I'm not arguing that the performance increase wasn't good enough... I'm pissed that it is still the most overpriced product out there.
Old February 24, 2011, 03:37 PM

My System Specs

Ya I made a typo. I meant to say they were going to drop Nvidia since they can't use Nvidia chipsets anymore. I really want one of these now and I don't need one. Not sure if I should just get the $950 refurb of last years 13" model or spend the extra $250 and get a Sandy Bridge variant.
Old February 24, 2011, 03:42 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I know is tough cause they are so pretty, nicely built. But honestly if you don't plan to do any actual work on the MacBook is not worth it at all. Shit load of money for premium web browsing :P

PS: I REALLY want a 27" iMac though
Old February 24, 2011, 03:44 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDiaz View Post
I'm not arguing that the performance increase wasn't good enough... I'm pissed that it is still the most overpriced product out there.
compared to which sandy bridge notebooks are you talking about?

the macbook pro is traditionally the most overpriced of all of apple's offerings, but just because they didn't cater it specifically to you doesn't mean that its value dropped. What were you looking for in this update?

We got massive performance boosts, and the battery only dropped somewhat significantly on the 13" (it's still 7 hours, not like that sucks), plus you have thunderbolt, so in my opinion the positives far outweigh the negatives

Last edited by SneakySnake; February 24, 2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old February 24, 2011, 04:02 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
compared to which sandy bridge notebooks are you talking about?

the macbook pro is traditionally the most overpriced of all of apple's offerings, but just because they didn't cater it specifically to you doesn't mean that its value dropped. What were you looking for in this update?

We got massive performance boosts, and the battery only dropped somewhat significantly on the 13" (it's still 7 hours, not like that sucks), plus you have thunderbolt, so in my opinion the positives far outweigh the negatives
There are a few

NCIX.com - Canada's Premier Computer Store - Great Technology, Service and Selection.

NCIX.com - Canada's Premier Computer Store - Great Technology, Service and Selection.

And again, I am not critizicing at all the gains, I am actually quite content, but the gains does not justify the insane prices. $2500 for a 15" notebook