Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Mac (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mac/)
-   -   Macbook DHCP (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mac/38688-macbook-dhcp.html)

kendallcschm December 7, 2010 02:55 PM

Macbook DHCP

On any apple computer, when you enable internet sharing you enable a DHCP to that interface as well.. i would like to disable apples built in DHCP server cause i have an HP proliant set up as a DHCP server on that network.. the two conflict... many of you are going to ask why? well the answer is im trying to PXE boot and run a FOG server (Free Online Ghost) with DHCP enabled on it.. but the two servers interfere... so.. please anyone that knows help

lowfat December 7, 2010 08:54 PM

I am not sure the question here really. First you enable ICS, picking the device you want to share from. Then go in to the network preference pane. Highlight the networking device. Click Advanced. Then TCP/IP tab. Change 'Configure IPv4 to anually. Then enter your ip information as you so desire.

kendallcschm December 7, 2010 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowfat (Post 459201)
I am not sure the question here really. First you enable ICS, picking the device you want to share from. Then go in to the network preference pane. Highlight the networking device. Click Advanced. Then TCP/IP tab. Change 'Configure IPv4 to anually. Then enter your ip information as you so desire.

yes i understand that.. but its assigning IP addresses to other computers on the mini network i set up, and i cannot have that.. i need that feature to be turned off

Perineum December 7, 2010 11:45 PM

firewall port 67 on the mac from outbound responses.

kendallcschm December 8, 2010 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perineum (Post 459278)
firewall port 67 on the mac from outbound responses.

ill try that.. thanks

EDIT

i don't know how to do that on a mac

Canker April 2, 2011 12:10 PM

Loading… <-- bootpd(8) Mac OS X Manual Page

Load up /etc/bootpd.plist in a text editor.

You will probably need to google bootpd.list to find the relevant terms to disable the dhcp server, off the top of my head I'm not sure if the plist Apple generates by enabling internet sharing is commented at all. Once you're done with the changes you need you can restart it from the command line by typing:

sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/bootps.plist

Why not just set up internet sharing on your server, and avoid the hassle?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kendallcschm (Post 459060)
On any apple computer, when you enable internet sharing you enable a DHCP to that interface as well.. i would like to disable apples built in DHCP server cause i have an HP proliant set up as a DHCP server on that network.. the two conflict... many of you are going to ask why? well the answer is im trying to PXE boot and run a FOG server (Free Online Ghost) with DHCP enabled on it.. but the two servers interfere... so.. please anyone that knows help