Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > Mac

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 14, 2010, 10:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I just received my new VAIO Z a couple of days ago. Puts the MBA to shame.

Did anybody else take advantage of Sony's pricing 2 months ago on the Sony Store site? I got mine for $1200! I think they messed up the prices? Either way, they honored it!
Old November 14, 2010, 11:20 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonTrooper View Post
I just received my new VAIO Z a couple of days ago. Puts the MBA to shame.
They aren't even in the same category. The MBA is an CULV ultra portable. The Vaio definitely is not. Although it doesn't look like a bad machine.
Old November 14, 2010, 11:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
They aren't even in the same category. The MBA is an CULV ultra portable. The Vaio definitely is not. Although it doesn't look like a bad machine.
Well, the VAIO Z I would still consider an ultra-portable, although you are definitely correct on the CULV part. For example, the 13" MBA and VAIO Z are almost identical in weight, and the VAIO Z even manages to fit it in an extra SSD and optical drive while maintaining it's remarkable light weight. The form factor is definitely thicker than the sexy thinness of the MBA, but it's still very thin.

EDIT: For those that are interested in the MBA but hate the idea of a gloss screen, it looks like these guys will be offering a service to replace the MBA gloss finish with a matte one: TechRestore | MacBook Air Matte Screen Replacement

Last edited by YukonTrooper; November 14, 2010 at 11:52 PM.
Old November 15, 2010, 06:02 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Ironically, I get better battery time with my "non-CULV" Z1290. From what I have seen, the MBA gets 5-6 hours on a charge. I easily clear 6:30 on my Z with a standard battery.

Many people know this already but I absolutely hate glossy screens. The fact that a company markets their product as an "ultra portable" and then decks it out with a screen that will limit the places you can use it (without headache-inducing glare) is a travesty. Add to that the fact that Apple is charging an arm and a leg for this thing and I have to scratch my head.

IPad? I love it. This thing? It brings me back to the "design for design's sake and let's screw functionality" crap that Apple has been known for. The MBA is and always has been a conversation piece for wannabe hipsters.
Old November 15, 2010, 07:40 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
Get a MBP instead when they do the refreshes but to each their own.
I'm waiting for this refresh. The wife conveniently wants my current MBP, so I smell an upgrade the second the refreshes are available!
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old November 15, 2010, 12:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ya I just don't see the use in a device that is so thin. Do people really care that much for something that is slightly heaver and thicker but much cheaper and more powerful to get this. I mean are you really that weak you can't carry something that is a fraction of a pound heaver that sits on your lap anyways. And to add that they put a glossy screen on makes this product make no sense to me. I will admit it is sexy looking but that is the only appeal it has.

For the same price the MBP is a much better buy.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old November 16, 2010, 08:19 PM
Allstar
F@H

I should probably pull my keyboard out of my mouth now. Ended up taking a trip and trying one out, the fully loaded 13" Air is far better than I expected it to be. Considering I only play a few OSX-native games anymore, and they all were perfectly playable on the ultra thin bugger, I'm starting to reconsider what I said earlier. Easily still capable of playing around with XCode and iSDK as well, I believe I have to investigate these possibilities once again.
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old December 3, 2010, 11:52 AM
Allstar
F@H

Bit the bullet. Ordered a 13" MacBook Air Ultimate Config, should be waiting for me when I get back to Kingston....oh well, I loved the little guy in the store, and the wife sure as hell loves playing with my MBP.
-Author Unknown
Old December 3, 2010, 02:25 PM

My System Specs

Congrats. They are nice machines. Once they come w/ micro-sim card I will be jumping all over one.
Old December 5, 2010, 05:47 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Can't wait to hear about your review for that nice piece of hardware :)