Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > Mac

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 22, 2011, 09:20 AM

My System Specs

Quicksilver > Spotlight in my opinion. Such a fantastic search replacement.
Old March 30, 2011, 04:50 PM
Top Prospect

Actually, I would say the lack of viruses for OS X is because of Apple's aggressive release schedule for OS X.

It's pretty hard to target a specific version of OS X when there is a new version coming out every 2 years or so. Not too much new software will run on OS X Tiger, and it was only released in August 2005.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
The only reason there is lack of viruses for OSX is because virus developers want to hit as many computers as possible and windows dominates the world. The more OSX gets out there the more viruses you will see. Thinking any OS is immune to viruses is idiotic.
Old April 1, 2011, 08:11 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yeah right, MAC is just too smart It has nothing to do with less than 8% of OS being OSX and over 80% being Windows. If you were a hacker what OS would you develop a virus for?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canker View Post
Actually, I would say the lack of viruses for OS X is because of Apple's aggressive release schedule for OS X.

It's pretty hard to target a specific version of OS X when there is a new version coming out every 2 years or so. Not too much new software will run on OS X Tiger, and it was only released in August 2005.
Old April 1, 2011, 08:39 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
Yeah right, MAC is just too smart It has nothing to do with less than 8% of OS being OSX and over 80% being Windows. If you were a hacker what OS would you develop a virus for?
Ask the chinese and their fake anti-virus crap
Old April 1, 2011, 05:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
Totally wrong.
Wow, that's a great rebuttal...

It's no secret that Mac abandons computers and software at a dizzying rate. If MS did that people would be up in arms.
Old April 1, 2011, 06:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
It's no secret that Mac abandons
* Apple

Apple = company.
Mac/Macintosh = product.

The product does not abandon, the company does.
Old April 1, 2011, 06:52 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
Totally wrong.
It's not totally wrong - and this is coming from someone who's becoming a Mac Junkie quickly. Viruses are coded for PC's because there is a massive target "audience" (For lack of a better term). If OSX were to instantly switch to the majority market share tomorrow, you'd see a whole @$$load of viruses pop up for it. And I hate to say it, but Linux does also have viruses and security issues, however those that run servers (Which is the primary Linux Market - servers) know how to keep tabs on it before anything becomes a problem.
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old April 1, 2011, 07:30 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
Wow, that's a great rebuttal...

It's no secret that Mac abandons computers and software at a dizzying rate. If MS did that people would be up in arms.
Dissying rate eh? OS 7/8/9 applications was supported in OS X through Classic Environment for over 5 years after they quit selling OS9. Then they quit supporting PowerPC in Snow Leopard. Snow Leopard is a 64-bit OS, kind of hard to install a 64-bit OS on CPU's that are not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neolithium_Wpg View Post
It's not totally wrong - and this is coming from someone who's becoming a Mac Junkie quickly. Viruses are coded for PC's because there is a massive target "audience" (For lack of a better term). If OSX were to instantly switch to the majority market share tomorrow, you'd see a whole @$$load of viruses pop up for it. And I hate to say it, but Linux does also have viruses and security issues, however those that run servers (Which is the primary Linux Market - servers) know how to keep tabs on it before anything becomes a problem.
That is not what he said though.

I agree with him that Canker is wrong in that regard. It is entire to do w/ market share like you said.
Old April 1, 2011, 07:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Lowfat, the G5s were 64bit. But there is no point in keeping PPC support for a few *very* outdated computers that are outpaced by a reasonable CoreDuo machine.
Old April 1, 2011, 07:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJunky View Post
* Apple

Apple = company.
Mac/Macintosh = product.

The product does not abandon, the company does.
They get to be vague and generalize then I should get to as well....