Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > Mac

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 20, 2011, 12:33 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
That proves nothing against Opeqa... and just for the lulz I had a friend with a G3 with more than 800 days of up time. Bricks were shat when I saw that
I haven't (knowingly) had malware issues since my Amiga 20 years ago (it sucks to check 100+ floppies for viruses!), so I guess Windows and Linux must be 100% secure?

A single G3 with a long uptime is what proves nothing. The long list of Apple products with issues proves they're just like every other PC manufacturer.

Last edited by Desiato; March 20, 2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old March 20, 2011, 12:58 PM
Allstar
F@H

Here's the advantage of a Mac over PC: You want a Mac, buy one and you're happy. Bingo. Want a PC, buy one and be happy. It's all up to the users of the device anyway - Macs get lemons from the factory, like any other manufacturer of any other product in the world.

/thread

:P
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old March 20, 2011, 01:01 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neolithium_Wpg View Post
Here's the advantage of a Mac over PC: You want a Mac, buy one and you're happy. Bingo. Want a PC, buy one and be happy. It's all up to the users of the device anyway - Macs get lemons from the factory, like any other manufacturer of any other product in the world.

/thread

I agree!
Old March 20, 2011, 03:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiato View Post
I haven't (knowingly) had malware issues since my Amiga 20 years ago (it sucks it check 100+ floppies for viruses!), so I guess Windows and Linux must be 100% secure?
Oh no, another Amigan....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neolithium_Wpg View Post

/thread

Well said!
Old March 20, 2011, 11:55 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Honestly, there is no real advantage to either platform. Both can do the same things quite well. In the end, it really is all about the software you choose and how you want your devices to work. That's why I will most likely never get a Mac, because I have used one extensively, but I still greatly prefer Windows, even on an Optimus laptop with slightly lower battery life. It has nothing to do with looks, marketing, or peer pressure. I just use what I enjoy most, and I invite you all to do the same without embarrassment, because being a tech enthusiast is all about choice.
Old March 21, 2011, 07:10 AM
Allstar

I'll quickly add my 2 cents as I've owned both. Mac's do have some software that's decidedly better than Windows. Mostly their professional level stuff, ie Logic Pro. Also, there is the lack of viruses on OSX which is also a bonus. As far as anything else I find it a wash. I've had just as much issues OS wise (corruption and other problems) on both platforms. I find it really annoying that there is a huge lack of software on the Mac side compared to Win. Although it's been a while since I used a Mac I remember having a hard time finding something decent to play mp3's that wasn't itunes. I ended up having to get xmms to work haha. The other big issue is once you buy an iMac , the timer is counting down. As you can't do much in the way of hardware upgrades you probably want to sell in in 3 years to be able to get some decent money back.

This has been my experience.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old March 21, 2011, 08:59 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodscene View Post
I'll quickly add my 2 cents as I've owned both. Mac's do have some software that's decidedly better than Windows. Mostly their professional level stuff, ie Logic Pro. Also, there is the lack of viruses on OSX which is also a bonus. As far as anything else I find it a wash. I've had just as much issues OS wise (corruption and other problems) on both platforms. I find it really annoying that there is a huge lack of software on the Mac side compared to Win. Although it's been a while since I used a Mac I remember having a hard time finding something decent to play mp3's that wasn't itunes. I ended up having to get xmms to work haha. The other big issue is once you buy an iMac , the timer is counting down. As you can't do much in the way of hardware upgrades you probably want to sell in in 3 years to be able to get some decent money back.

This has been my experience.
Viruses DO exist on Macs just not to the extent that Windows does.

Software is easier to use on a Mac because it was designed for dummies to use ;) What takes 2 mins to learn on a Mac takes 20 for Windows :P
Old March 21, 2011, 09:12 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The only reason there is lack of viruses for OSX is because virus developers want to hit as many computers as possible and windows dominates the world. The more OSX gets out there the more viruses you will see. Thinking any OS is immune to viruses is idiotic.
Old March 21, 2011, 10:05 AM
Allstar

I never said they didn't exist....just there was a lack compared to Win :)

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old March 22, 2011, 03:42 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

One advantage (at least I think it is because I don't know how to do it on windows 7) is cmd + spacebar, which brings up Spotlight.

Spotlight is AMAZING!
It's like windows search, only it actually works. The windows 7 one is much better than previous versions but it still doesn't find the file
I'm looking for most of the time. I don't even use the icons on my desktop anymore.
If I want to open an application, I just hit the keyboard shortcut and type in the first few letters of the application's name.
The applications I use the most are automatically at the top of the list.