Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > Mac

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 27, 2010, 11:48 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by jporter91 View Post
LOL! Yes b'y! Apple hardware (not that they make their own, of course) is second so ANYTHING that's not obsolete on the market at any point in time. They don't keep up with recent architecture AT ALL.

Also, if "build quality" translates into "boring as hell, over-simplistic, and being as least nerd-friendly (i.e. customizable) as possible" then maybe you have a point.
Considering 15"+ Macbook Pro's, iMacs, and Mac Pro's come with Core iX series CPU's, they're not even close to obsolete. If you're trying to bring up the fact that the Macbook, Macbook Airs and 13" Macbook Pro lineups have Core 2's, it's a nonissue, they are not designed to be powerful computers, which means the processors are more than adequate for what they are designed for.

Just because something isn't uber customizable and you can't have 10,000 LED's lighting up a liquid cooled gaming rig doesn't mean it's not nerd friendly. You'd be surprised at the number of network admins doing stuff on Macs, and they're basically the kingpins of nerds Oh well, back to playing some games on my MBP
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old December 27, 2010, 07:16 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jporter91 View Post
LOL! Yes b'y! Apple hardware (not that they make their own, of course) is second so ANYTHING that's not obsolete on the market at any point in time. They don't keep up with recent architecture AT ALL.

Also, if "build quality" translates into "boring as hell, over-simplistic, and being as least nerd-friendly (i.e. customizable) as possible" then maybe you have a point.
I love those people... it's like talking politics with 10 year olds. They have no clue of what the issue is about and just bash on something random with argument that doesn't make sens and usually doesn't even apply to the current discussion.
Old December 27, 2010, 09:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
I love those people... it's like talking politics with 10 year olds. They have no clue of what the issue is about and just bash on something random with argument that doesn't make sens and usually doesn't even apply to the current discussion.
Teapot calling the kettle black....
Old December 30, 2010, 07:58 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I think it's mostly about advertising but also there's an element of defensiveness in the almost cult-like cliquishness of some Mac users.

Many of my Mac user friends started on Macs a quarter century ago because they were in graphic arts and at that time, due to the failure of Commodore and its Amiga, they had no other real option. To this day Macs dominate the graphics industry.

As PCs grew to surpass Macs in performance and versatility by the turn of the century, many Mac users were reluctant to admit that they were using limited and outmoded hardware and missing out on the advantages of the PC while paying a premium price.

They clung together in forums and user groups, telling each other (and themselves) how smart they were for paying a little more for their perceived vastly superior user experience while looking smugly down on Windows peasants.

Since switching to Intel CPUs, Macs aren't all that different from PCs. People run Windows7 on their Macs and I for one run Snow Leopard on my white Asus EeePC901 in dualboot with Ubuntu. My black EeePC901 running Win7ult is still my favorite book though.

I like OSX. I just don't like it sufficiently more than Win7 to make it my primary OS. As for buying overpriced and over-advertised interior-decorator hardware from an iPod company, I'll take a pass. The Evil Empire isn't getting my money. I need it all for faster SSDs when they're released. Performance before style.
Old December 30, 2010, 08:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thank you for an intelligent post....

There is a tremendous amount of truth to what he is saying... I remember sitting on the sidelines watching Mac users talk about "Intel shit" while talking about the superiority of the G4 and so called "G5". They would endlessly quote one study that showed how an altivec equipped PPC processor beat a PC equipped with an Intel cpu and much higher speeds.

That was very short lived mind you, but they never forgot it and kept quoting it long after the P4 saw 3ghz speeds.... Altivec is pretty awesome and there is a sweet spot in my heart for PPC processors but those Mac guys were either stupid or crazy.
Old December 30, 2010, 11:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
but those Mac guys were either stupid or crazy.
Brainwashed.
Old December 31, 2010, 07:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

great points jim hell i prefer ubuntu any day over snow but it's just me. i think it's really just the fact that crapple thinks they can charge more for the same hardware because it has a apple logo on it that bothers me. buyt to each there own.
Old December 31, 2010, 10:05 AM
Allstar
F@H

God I hate this stupid war...
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old March 20, 2011, 10:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opeqa16x View Post
I don't know what's so hard to believe about me not crashing in 9 years.

I don't go on sites I'm not supposed to, and I do download the latest updates off microsoft websites. On top of that I'm always switching out hardware and I don't really overclock (well, not for the time being at least) or do anything to cause system instability

Apple - Support - Discussions - MacBook Pro 2011 17" hard freeze ...

That's why it's hard to believe you.

So much for "just works"

Maybe they meant "crash different".

Anyway, NOT DOING THIS TO START A FLAME WAR. The topic of the thread is "what are the advantages of a Mac over a PC" to which I've replied that there really isn't anything unless you like the OS. People then started claiming the usual crap about "server grade hardware" and all that.

A computer and a car are the same thing - a headache when they don't work, regardless of the OEM involved.
Old March 20, 2011, 11:25 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

That proves nothing against Opeqa... and just for the lulz I had a friend with a G3 with more than 800 days of up time. Bricks were shat when I saw that