Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > Mac

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 20, 2010, 04:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think it is funny that people are bashing people for buying a computer for looks. Especially in an enthusiast forum for computers. I mean just about everyone here loves their PC and spend a lot of time trying to make it look good regardless if it has a window or not. I bet a lot of people also buy components partially based on looks as well. Trying to get that nice black and red theme or those UV lights that will show off your water cooling.

Almost everything we buy we partially will buy on looks. No one buys ugly clothes because they are cheaper unless thats all you can afford.

So if I had the money I would buy a nice MBP partially for looks, though a lot of it would be for battery life and to spice things up a bit with a new OS.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old December 21, 2010, 03:45 PM
Rookie

Standardized hardware, software/driver testing, and quality control. Believe me, PCs will give users 10 times the headaches macs will. There are downsides of course, but that is the main reason to spend the extra money.

edit: when I was buying a new laptop for my mother, I went apple as I was tired of being tech support. And it worked.
Old December 21, 2010, 03:52 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Honestly I bought my iMac mostly for aesthetics and the fact that I can use it as a monitor as well.
I just found out I'm getting posted to Wainwright for OJT....I'm finding it very hard NOT to get myself an iMac now I gotta stop spending money one of these days...
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old December 21, 2010, 03:56 PM
Rookie

Oh, and the fact that most people who want to play games do it on a console. The whole 'you can play games on Windows' advantage is an absolute non issue for most people buying computers today. MS really dropped the ball on that one.

I mean I just tried running the newly patched 3dmark11 (which is still half baked btw), and it reminded me just how frustrating running any new games on Windows is. In reality, gaming sux on mac and pc now, unless you're like me and very patient and actually like trying to get things to work.
Old December 21, 2010, 05:54 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Please do tell me how a poorly performing , or badly behaving game or program is Microsofts fault unless its an MS product ? I find it ironic that you can blame the OS for a flakey piece of 3rd party software. I will agree with you somewhat on the console's though all the people that I know that game have pc's and consoles but the vast majority prefer the computer be it Mac or PC.
Old December 21, 2010, 06:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Milch View Post
Oh, and the fact that most people who want to play games do it on a console. The whole 'you can play games on Windows' advantage is an absolute non issue for most people buying computers today. MS really dropped the ball on that one.

I mean I just tried running the newly patched 3dmark11 (which is still half baked btw), and it reminded me just how frustrating running any new games on Windows is. In reality, gaming sux on mac and pc now, unless you're like me and very patient and actually like trying to get things to work.
you have to be the only person i have every heard say such things i was just playing cod black ops on the xbox 360 and compared to my pc version it just downright sucks the graphics look terrible and since when is installing a game hard i guess steam has it all wrong eh. i mean i found it so hard to click yes to install the 3dmark11 software. your statements are very general statements at that and i don't think they reflect any good reason why someone would buy a mac over pc
Old December 21, 2010, 06:26 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by scruff View Post
Please do tell me how a poorly performing , or badly behaving game or program is Microsofts fault unless its an MS product ? I find it ironic that you can blame the OS for a flakey piece of 3rd party software. I will agree with you somewhat on the console's though all the people that I know that game have pc's and consoles but the vast majority prefer the computer be it Mac or PC.
Actually I wouldn't be surprised if 99.998% of issues with Windows are caused by 3rd party software issues. Just look at how many drivers have screwed up performance from GPU's in the past, how many games ran like crap because of coding. The same can be said for Mac - there are a few games which work amazing because they were coded from the get-go on OSX (IE - Blizzard titles are coded simultaneously, not ported after the fact), many of the ports TO OSX suck like....well I'll leave that sentence alone because I don't wanna get banned
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old December 21, 2010, 10:10 PM
Rookie

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I was listing advantages that regular computer users will see if they buy Mac. You know, the non-geek non-pc enthusiastic non-techie users. If someone likes building machines, tweaking and customizing, etc PC is way better. But that isn't most people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scruff View Post
No, I wasn't blaming MS. Not at all. Nonetheless, the end result for the user is frustration which reflects badly on MS when those frustrations are common.

Let me also clarify about the pcmark thing for me today. It just reminded me of my experiences with PC gaming in general when I buy a newly released game: bugs (from the merely annoying to those that make a game unplayable), no possibility of getting a refund, and nothing to sell after I'm done. I'm not saying this is everyone's experience, but it is mine.

It does not bother me enough to abandon the platform. I like computers, building them and playing with them. I also like mucking with game code (mods etc). I just believe that for most people (non-geeky non-techie etc), pc gaming is inferior to consoles. And if you look at the ratings of multiplatforms games amazon, the pc versions are always rated lower than console ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee
you have to be the only person i have every heard say such things i was just playing cod black ops on the xbox 360 and compared to my pc version it just downright sucks the graphics look terrible and since when is installing a game hard i guess steam has it all wrong eh. i mean i found it so hard to click yes to install the 3dmark11 software. your statements are very general statements at that and i don't think they reflect any good reason why someone would buy a mac over pc
If 3dmark works for you, great. It doesn't for me and for a whole bunch of others with cards in sli. And I agree, PC's are great for games. But for most people, consoles are superior because they just work and are for the most part headache free. ymmv etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neolithiumwpg
Actually I wouldn't be surprised if 99.998% of issues with Windows are caused by 3rd party software issues. Just look at how many drivers have screwed up performance from GPU's in the past, how many games ran like crap because of coding. The same can be said for Mac - there are a few games which work amazing because they were coded from the get-go on OSX (IE - Blizzard titles are coded simultaneously, not ported after the fact), many of the ports TO OSX suck like....well I'll leave that sentence alone because I don't wanna get banned
Agreed. MS isn't to blame for bad coding. But they are to blame for their lack of support and promotion for PC gaming, while using all of their resources to promote the xbox.

Today, 99% of non-mmogs are coded primarily for console(s) and then sometimes ported to PC. It's just a fact. So games for PC are going to be buggy and frustrating because to release a solid game for PC requires a lot of expensive testing and optimizing for the gazzillion hardware configurations that exist. Game companies just don't do that.

Thats what I meant when I said gaming on a computer is a non issue when it comes time to buy a new machine for most people, as they dont game on pc & there is no compelling reason for them to start.
Old December 26, 2010, 10:49 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
The build quality and the hardware used is second to none. That *IS* a good reason

Also, simplified, easy to use OS for all basic computer usages. Internet, Email, Photos & Videos, Music, Chat all ready to go out of the box. I guess it's not as "complicated" as Windows *can* be. Shizz usually just works too.
LOL! Yes b'y! Apple hardware (not that they make their own, of course) is second so ANYTHING that's not obsolete on the market at any point in time. They don't keep up with recent architecture AT ALL.

Also, if "build quality" translates into "boring as hell, over-simplistic, and being as least nerd-friendly (i.e. customizable) as possible" then maybe you have a point.
Old December 27, 2010, 09:28 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I recently bought a macbook pro and say I love everything about it except for the price and that they have a stupid miniDP and not HDMI. OSX is awesome IMO except for the fact there isn't alot of game support but it is much more user friendly and well just looks nicer. And oh god the touchpad is freaking the best thing that ever happened lol I love the hugeness of it.