Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > Mac

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 19, 2010, 07:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

salesmen.( check out quanta computers ) then tell me who makes what.
Old December 19, 2010, 09:28 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogg View Post
As much as it pains me to say this the asthectics are the number 1 reason people will buy a Mac.
Aesthetics are the reason a lot of people buy anything - look at cars or houses, if something is ugly as sin it's not exactly going to be a hot seller. I also know 7 people who bought Asus ROG Notebooks not because they game, but because they looked cool. One of the reasons I bought my MacBook Pro became evident yesterday - I was playing around in XCode, had quicktime running for several TV Episodes back to back, the usual web browsing as well as background applications for social networking junk - after 6 hours my battery finally informed me it wanted to be charged. Far cry from Rob's G51JX which drops dead after 3 hours with only casual web browsing usage.
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old December 19, 2010, 10:09 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
Nope so sure about that... go in an Apple store once in your life, look interested in buying a machine, let them show you around the hardware and software and you will understand why most people buy one.
I don't think this statement actually says anything at all.

Any of the machines can be viewed online. You'll know more about the look of the machine inside and out from the web than you will having a salesman tell you lies about Mac.

Also, the specs aren't evident by looking at them. You'll only find that information on the web.
Old December 20, 2010, 04:00 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
I don't think this statement actually says anything at all.

Any of the machines can be viewed online. You'll know more about the look of the machine inside and out from the web than you will having a salesman tell you lies about Mac.

Also, the specs aren't evident by looking at them. You'll only find that information on the web.
Think actually 5 seconds (or more if you need) before replying.

What I said is pretty simple: Salesmen do their job -extremely- well.

People usually go in the store, talk to a salesperson and go out with a product in the same day.
Old December 20, 2010, 04:30 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
As much as it pains me to say this the asthectics are the number 1 reason people will buy a Mac.
+1 The Truth, that and to fit in a certain image/crowd, its no secret.

Quote:
Nope so sure about that... go in an Apple store once in your life, look interested in buying a machine, let them show you around the hardware and software and you will understand why most people buy one.
Aesthetics is what apple is all about. Do you think people would buy apple computers if they were ugly? Hell... the vast majority of their customers are just people that just go to check their email/facebook/and type up their essays, they dont know much about the hardware nor do they care, it comes down to looks.

Alot of the pros of a mac mentioned in this thread and many endless threads are aesthetics. The rest of the pros are great, but when it boils down to it, its not a really a showstopper or have much of a wow factor.

(And yes, ive been to the apple store various times, which also LOOKS very nice too, and actually bought a couple of macs, not for myself, but for friends/family )

Rig // PC-A7010 :: 1050W :: Rampage :: Q6600 :: 8GB :: GTX 260
X25-V :: 4x 1TB RAID-5 :: 2x 1TB RAID-1 :: 4x 1.5TB :: 1x 2TB
G15v2 :: MX-518 :: Xonar DX :: 7 Pro x64

2408WFP :: DT770/80 :: Onkyo TX-SR605 :: Klipsch RB-61 :: SVS PB10-NSD
Old December 20, 2010, 05:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:

People usually go in the store, talk to a salesperson and go out with a product in the same day.
Old December 20, 2010, 07:03 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:

Ya but the same can be said for any salesman. You can go into Futureshop and look at Monster HDMI cables and if you didn't know they are overpriced the sales guy could convince you of all there awesomeness and you would buy them not knowing any better.

I'm not questioning the build quality of a Mac or the quality of the components. I am just saying that the number #1 reasons people buy Macs is for the way they look. They don't care that the mac is the same hardware as a PC but priced $700 more. They don't care that Apple sells 2GB ram upgrades for $400 when they cost $50.
Old December 20, 2010, 07:52 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I have lots of people at work (there are about 1700 people where I work) and in my experience people buy Macs for the following 'reasons', listed in the order I think I heard the most (the reasons don't have to be valid, BTW):
1. they "don't get viruses"
2. they like the looks of them
3. used one, thought it was easier than a PC to use
4. they owned iPods, iPhones, and loved those Apple products
Fold for team #54196
Old December 20, 2010, 08:05 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
They don't care that Apple sells 2GB ram upgrades for $400 when they cost $50.
That's exactly why I buy from NCIX and replace RAM & hard drives on my own. Doesn't void AppleCare either.
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old December 20, 2010, 02:19 PM

My System Specs

Honestly I bought my iMac mostly for aesthetics and the fact that I can use it as a monitor as well.