Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > Mac

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101 (permalink)  
Old April 3, 2011, 09:22 AM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 95
Default

Your argument is laughable. Please indulge me here:

HAHAHAAHAHAHAHA AHHAHAHAHAHA HAHAAHAHAHAH!

I don't think that was quite enough, hold on.

BWAAAAAHAHAAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAAHHA HAAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA (wheeze) HAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAH (falls down gasping for breath) HAHAAHAHHAHA HAHAAHAHAHHAHA AHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

You are going out of your way to completely ignore reason and rational thought the same way religious zealots do when confronted with it.

Let's just stick with facts.

Every new version of the MacOS has rather poor compatibility running software designed for the version it replaced. FACT.

I provided a link in a previous message which provides a very long list of compatibility issues for Snow Leopard. FACT.

Apple's release cycle for MacOS is approximately 2 years. FACT.

Apple stops supporting / removes parts of their own operating system without consulting with stakeholders or developers. FACT. See the link I provided in an earlier message about Cocoa for one example.

The entire foundation of your argument against anyone who crushes your ludicrous points so far is that you are in outsourcing school to learn how to program, and everyone else who hasn't set sail on that ship with you is therefore wrong because you know the secret developer handshake and no amount of real world experience, work on development teams or formal education can say otherwise.

Protip for you! If you are fortunate enough to get a job in software development within Canada, your boss could very likely be someone with very little software development experience, but holds a $45,000 2 year MBA from somewhere like Royal Roads. Oh snap, they didn't go to outsourcing school, but they can go around singing LIKE A BOSS, while you can't, and will probably still be gainfully employed as a manager in their 40s while you will be replaced by a fresh graduate of outsourcing school, or managing a team in India remotely. They are also earning more money than you, LIKE A BOSS!

Perhaps you assume every Mac user is happy to march out and buy the most current version of MacOS out there, and every Mac user is now running Snow Leopard. Want to bet on it? If the Mac crowd hovers around 10% of the market, what percentage of them are running the 7 different versions of OS X released in the past 10 years? Is it worth putting the effort in? Look at Adobe, they seem more interested in supporting Windows these days for that reason, and most of the flagship offerings for the Mac came from Adobe! It happens to be Adobe's business to write software, just like your reasoning for virus writers, never mind a lot of them just do it for the lulz. Oh snap!

Apple is oprhaning Rosetta in OS X Lion, so goodbye support for PPC OS X applications. I'm sure the next generation of Macs will allow you to downgrade to OS X Snow Leopard though, right? I'm sure nobody out there is using a PPC Mac any more...

Neowin.net - Rosetta, we hardly knew ye: OS X Lion cuts support for PowerPC apps




Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
...MS has so much trouble BECAUSE of that. Why do you think that devs start whining more and more about MS dropping support of their own stuff? Gawd...

That is the same plain argument even your "technologically impaired" grandma could give you. It's no secret that virus business IS a business and you need to target the platform with the biggest market share. On the other hand he was talking about somehow binaries no longer working because Apple would be magically changing Darwin's code so much each release. Thinking that is -ridiculous-.



1- Any kind of production environement doesn't change the way viruses load and run.
2- OSX dev working on a specific platform doesn't change the way viruses load and run unless they start hacking and doing major kernel changes.

Seriously man I'm disappointed in you every time you post something. It's just sad to see either uneducated opinion or just plain crap like that last quote. I HAZ XP SO I HAZ LE TRUTH. Pointless.
Reply With Quote
  #102 (permalink)  
Old April 3, 2011, 09:45 AM
JD's Avatar
JD JD is offline
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 6,929

My System Specs

Default

I understand that this is a very heated topic, but if you guys just want to have a flaming contest between each other, this isn't the place for it and unfortunately yet another anything vs PC discussion will have to be closed down.

Anyways, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and see if you can clean your act up in the next few posts, otherwise this thread will be locked and warnings/infractions handed out.
Reply With Quote
  #103 (permalink)  
Old April 3, 2011, 09:49 AM
Perineum's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Surrey, B.C.
Posts: 4,040

My System Specs

Default

It does seem to be a bit inflammatory but his post in relation to m1dget is spot on.

m1dget will say you're wrong, won't reply with anything solid for fear of being proven wrong again. If he's not going to reply with anything significant then he shouldn't reply at all.
Reply With Quote
  #104 (permalink)  
Old April 3, 2011, 05:54 PM
m1dget's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Terrebonne, Qc
Posts: 707

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
I understand that this is a very heated topic, but if you guys just want to have a flaming contest between each other, this isn't the place for it and unfortunately yet another anything vs PC discussion will have to be closed down.

Anyways, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and see if you can clean your act up in the next few posts, otherwise this thread will be locked and warnings/infractions handed out.
Don't worry... I'm not trolling/flaming/whatever and I don't think he is either (not -that- sure about him not trolling me but meh, I don't think he would spend that much time pointlessly trolling somebody)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canker View Post
Your argument is laughable. Please indulge me here:

HAHAHAAHAHAHAHA AHHAHAHAHAHA HAHAAHAHAHAH!

I don't think that was quite enough, hold on.

BWAAAAAHAHAAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAAHHA HAAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA (wheeze) HAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAH (falls down gasping for breath) HAHAAHAHHAHA HAHAAHAHAHHAHA AHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
Pointless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canker View Post
You are going out of your way to completely ignore reason and rational thought the same way religious zealots do when confronted with it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Canker View Post
Every new version of the MacOS has rather poor compatibility running software designed for the version it replaced. FACT.
If you're in a dev team and lack to study carefully the technology you are going to use on a large scale project then the company deserves to fail and die (fast).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canker View Post
I provided a link in a previous message which provides a very long list of compatibility issues for Snow Leopard. FACT.
You should read and UNDERSTAND what the article was talking about. That proves absolutely nothing else than Apple deployed either some user friendly API or tried to make incompetent dev's life easier and deprecated it since either nobody was using it or it was getting pointless supporting it further more. Careful planning would make sure you are not stuck whining after Apple's decision to drop the support for an API or whatever.
Let the incompetence in software dev find it's way to indie game developing or something like that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canker View Post
Apple's release cycle for MacOS is approximately 2 years. FACT.
Well yeah pretty much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canker View Post
Apple stops supporting / removes parts of their own operating system without consulting with stakeholders or developers. FACT. See the link I provided in an earlier message about Cocoa for one example.
Without warning the devs? effin lulz. If that was the case most of the pieces of software would be broken due to deprecated and non-existent API/drivers/whatever you want to call it. Heck the OS wouldn't probably even boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canker View Post
The entire foundation of your argument against anyone who crushes your ludicrous points so far is that you are in outsourcing school to learn how to program, and everyone else who hasn't set sail on that ship with you is therefore wrong because you know the secret developer handshake and no amount of real world experience, work on development teams or formal education can say otherwise.
What the hell man with the outsourcing programming school and secret handshake crap
If you think I don't have any experience in that field, I will let you believe that. I can't discuss about the projects I've been working on for the past years, but hey, think what you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canker View Post
Protip for you! If you are fortunate enough to get a job in software development within Canada
That won't happen as I hate programming as you are forced to do in about any company I can think of.
Anyway my interest for programming stuff in general is far from the conventional "read doc, derive pre-made C# class and glue everything together to make ANOTHER register/inventory/business logic software crap" 8 hours a day (aka code monkey in a typical software company).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canker View Post
your boss could very likely be someone with very little software development experience, but holds a $45,000 2 year MBA from somewhere like Royal Roads. Oh snap, they didn't go to outsourcing school, but they can go around singing LIKE A BOSS, while you can't, and will probably still be gainfully employed as a manager in their 40s while you will be replaced by a fresh graduate of outsourcing school, or managing a team in India remotely. They are also earning more money than you, LIKE A BOSS!
...and this is one of the many reasons I avoided the typical road to follow to get a job in software dev/IT in general. Almost all the time I've spent in college served me good: I saw how ****ing pointless and expensive it was, how I hated what they taught, how I hated how they taught it, how I hated the jobs that were waiting for me, how they made me waste my time so I grabbed as many IT/math/physics/etc books I could and educated myself for what -I- wanted to do and fast forward more than a year later, I'm happily doing research and development in a company I started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canker View Post
Perhaps you assume every Mac user is happy to march out and buy the most current version of MacOS out there, and every Mac user is now running Snow Leopard. Want to bet on it? If the Mac crowd hovers around 10% of the market, what percentage of them are running the 7 different versions of OS X released in the past 10 years?
Go ask Mac users about it instead of giving some random uneducated opinion about it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Canker View Post
Is it worth putting the effort in? Look at Adobe, they seem more interested in supporting Windows these days for that reason
You got to be effin kidding me... that's EXACTLY what I'm talking about when I say UNEDUCATED OPINION apple vs adobe - Google Search

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canker View Post
Apple is oprhaning Rosetta in OS X Lion, so goodbye support for PPC OS X applications. I'm sure the next generation of Macs will allow you to downgrade to OS X Snow Leopard though, right? I'm sure nobody out there is using a PPC Mac any more...
lol again man... now you are talking about BINAIRIES COMPILED FOR A DIFFERENT ARCHITECTURES. No **** it's not working.

Keep the posts coming... I love that.
__________________
"NIX is a classic example of security through obscurity because there is no real monetary reward for crackers and hackers to break Linix" -AkG

Last edited by m1dget; April 4, 2011 at 03:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #105 (permalink)  
Old April 3, 2011, 06:13 PM
Perineum's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Surrey, B.C.
Posts: 4,040

My System Specs

Default

m1dget: 0 Canker: 1
Reply With Quote
  #106 (permalink)  
Old April 3, 2011, 06:19 PM
m1dget's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Terrebonne, Qc
Posts: 707

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
m1dget: 0 Canker: 1
take another sip of beer and try harder
__________________
"NIX is a classic example of security through obscurity because there is no real monetary reward for crackers and hackers to break Linix" -AkG
Reply With Quote
  #107 (permalink)  
Old April 3, 2011, 06:57 PM
MacJunky's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Creston, BC
Posts: 1,730

My System Specs

Default

Guys, Flash has always always always been terrible on Mac OS(and Linux) since FOREVER.
There was not really a single point in time that i can recall when it was any good.

This is nothing recent.
Reply With Quote
  #108 (permalink)  
Old April 6, 2011, 08:42 PM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Posts: 53

My System Specs

Default

Both platforms are capable of performing the same tasks with the same quality. It all depends on which software you like more.

Buying a computer:
Do I like the platform? Yes
Will it do everything I need it to do? Yes
*buys computer*
Reply With Quote
  #109 (permalink)  
Old April 9, 2011, 10:26 PM
m1dget's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Terrebonne, Qc
Posts: 707

My System Specs

Default

Well thank you there for the nice piece of very not obvious information.
__________________
"NIX is a classic example of security through obscurity because there is no real monetary reward for crackers and hackers to break Linix" -AkG
Reply With Quote
  #110 (permalink)  
Old April 10, 2011, 04:48 AM
botat29's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 828
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordPraetox View Post
Both platforms are capable of performing the same tasks with the same quality. It all depends on which software you like more.

Buying a computer:
Do I like the platform? Yes
Will it do everything I need it to do? Yes
*buys computer*

+1 , That's it. no need for childish argument, We purchase what we like.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iCade....a good reason to get iPad Digikid Mac 5 November 1, 2012 04:37 PM
Give me a reason to switch Exmortis HardwareCanucks F@H Team 11 November 22, 2008 06:14 PM
What is your reason for charity mailaw Off Topic 12 October 26, 2008 09:15 PM
Is there any reason to have 8 GB of RAM? Urotsukidoji RAM 45 September 16, 2008 07:47 PM
Any reason not to consider.... (really need advice) Nodscene CPU's and Motherboards 5 March 30, 2008 07:18 AM