Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > Mac

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 16, 2010, 05:34 PM
Rookie

Default Brother iPad failure. Need some advice.

So im only 18. My brother is now 14. This weekend, he is going out to that sick corrupt fanboy hideout known as the Apple Store to purchase probably one of the most dumb financial decisions ever for a 14 year old, the iPad.

Ive told him its a stupid idea. That he is throwing $600 away. He won't listen, hes insisting he wants to buy it. Any ideas what to say to him to get him to stop? Hes got Steve Handjobbs iron-fist rammed so far up his fanboy ass that he cant make critical decisions for himself anymore.

Oh btw, I built him a PC this last Christmas and he has an apple sticker on it. Thought that might show you who he is better.

woops should have posted in iPod section.
Old June 16, 2010, 05:39 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

IMO the harder you try the further away you push them. Its his money i am assuming? At that age, its nothing but fun money, let him get it. Either he decides its not worth it, and it takes him out of the whole apple thing, or he loves it, and who are you to say he shouldnt? either way, let him live :)

Old June 16, 2010, 07:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Ya the more you fight it the more he's going to convince himself how complete life will be with an iPad. I wish I had that kind of cash at 14 to blow on crap though! O.O
My parents would have crucified me for such an act. That cash would have gone straight to a bank account for school or something. No ifs and or buts about it. What do your parents say?

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old June 16, 2010, 07:36 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

I don't know what the return policy is like at Apple stores, but I'm hoping that he can return it if he finds out he doesn't like it. I say let him buy the thing, try it out, and form his own opinion about it. If he does end up genuinely liking the thing, then he'll at least get some use out of it and it won't be a waste of money as far as he is concerned.
Old June 16, 2010, 07:37 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver View Post
So im only 18. My brother is now 14. This weekend, he is going out to that sick corrupt fanboy hideout known as the Apple Store to purchase probably one of the most dumb financial decisions ever for a 14 year old, the iPad.

Ive told him its a stupid idea. That he is throwing $600 away. He won't listen, hes insisting he wants to buy it. Any ideas what to say to him to get him to stop? Hes got Steve Handjobbs iron-fist rammed so far up his fanboy ass that he cant make critical decisions for himself anymore.

Oh btw, I built him a PC this last Christmas and he has an apple sticker on it. Thought that might show you who he is better.

If the kid like stable and well thought products from a good company I don't see why you would need to rant about it on a forum
I mean it's not because is big brother don't seem to know jack squat about the subject that he shouldn't be able to procure himself a nice piece of equipement and maybe someday like and buy more Apple products.

Anyway, it's his money and you can't do shit about it

edit: and oh does it smell like another thread locked in that section...
Old June 16, 2010, 07:50 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Damn lucky kid to have that kind of money to blow on the overpriced, underpowered tablet PC. Im sure you will be flamed by the apple fanbois for voicing your concerns. Personally, some of my best lessons were from expensive mistakes. Which is what it will be the first time he drops it. Point out that it is expensive and voice your concerns in a rational sane manner...and then let him learn from it. THEN when it does go into the shitter...you can act the "wise older brother"! ;)

Maybe he needs a G/F?...to blow all his money on! :)~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver View Post

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 16, 2010, 09:35 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
blow on the overpriced, underpowered tablet PC

Information appliance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Don't whine that a tomato don't taste like a banana ;)
Old June 16, 2010, 09:54 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post

Information appliance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Don't whine that a tomato don't taste like a banana ;)
We've already been over the fact that an "information appliance" is just a tablet PC except with less functionality.
Old June 16, 2010, 09:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Does your brother visit sites that use Flash? I was playing with the iPad in London Drugs the other day. Spent quite a bit of time on it. I actually started to like some of the apps and the touchscreen keyboard worked better than I thought it would. But you gotta pay attention to what you type.

Anyways back on topic... When I got to Safari and surfing the web, many sites that I like to visit use Flash... and sadly sucked big kahunas on the iPad. :\

Edit: Also anything you want to see about music like the latest Lady Gaga video or whatev... it just takes you to iTunes. Say goodbye to any licensed media on youtube etc...

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old June 16, 2010, 10:01 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
We've already been over the fact that an "information appliance" is just a tablet PC except with less functionality.
One is a computer, the other is an IA. I could say that your computer is just a supercomputer with less computing power and less memory. Would it be a good comparison? No. Retarded to say so? Yes.

Same goes with an IA and a computer.