Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > Mac

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41 (permalink)  
Old June 17, 2010, 01:30 PM
martin_metal_88's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Quebec City
Posts: 4,175

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver View Post
So i'll compile replies into one here.

He's got $600 from saving and working at booster juice

The reason I don't want him to get it is because for $600 nowadays you can find yourself a decent asus laptop that can do everything the iPad can but better. He says "BUT THE IPAD HAZ TOUCHSCREEN!" so I usually comeback and call him a fool.

My parents do not want him to get it despite being huge apple fanatics (since the early 80's me thinks).

(UPDATE) I walked into my room and my brand new atcs 840 has an apple sticker on it...

This is war:P I would wait him to get it and put the ipad 2 or 3 sec in microwave once your lil brother left the house. I wouldn't let anyone ruin my ATCS for sure
__________________
Ask for more

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Reply With Quote
  #42 (permalink)  
Old June 17, 2010, 01:50 PM
Neolithium_Wpg's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lancaster Park, Alberta
Posts: 732
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
This is war:P I would wait him to get it and put the ipad 2 or 3 sec in microwave once your lil brother left the house. I wouldn't let anyone ruin my ATCS for sure
Don't hurt the information appliance! It's innocent!
*goes off to bleach his keyboard for using the term "information appliance"*
__________________
Dell XPS8700 | Asus x101ch | iPhone 5 (iOS7)
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Reply With Quote
  #43 (permalink)  
Old June 17, 2010, 02:55 PM
Polygon's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Vancouver
Posts: 957

My System Specs

Default

Wasn't your brother whining about buying a smartphone a little while ago? If he hasn't got some other smartphone already then I too would recommend an iphone. For someone his age who likes to text/phone friends and play with apps much more than what the ipad does I don't see why he'd want the ipad. Plus the iphone is something you could slip in your pocket, whereas the ipad is more for school/business type stuff.

I've bought a lot of pointless crap that I never ended up using, but I learned my lesson too. He's probably just drooling over it because it's new and "cool", and he wants to impress his friends. Let him do it if he really wants to. Maybe he'll use it for school next year?
__________________
'Do not wish for easier lives, wish to be stronger men'
Reply With Quote
  #44 (permalink)  
Old June 17, 2010, 03:54 PM
El_Fiendo's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 579
Default

Just wait till he's showing it around to everyone because its so cool and it gets lifted because he wasn't being responsible with it. Oh, the tears.
Reply With Quote
  #45 (permalink)  
Old June 17, 2010, 04:48 PM
m1dget's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Terrebonne, Qc
Posts: 707

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Fiendo View Post
Just wait till he's showing it around to everyone because its so cool and it gets lifted because he wasn't being responsible with it. Oh, the tears.
Oh well... that would be a lesson learned I guess

I remember the first "big" thing (near 1k$ Giant Yukon) I bought at 14 (I was working since 12) and that I got stolen less than a year after because I was not really responsible with it. I learned my lesson that day and always was more careful of everything I owned and bought from then.
__________________
"NIX is a classic example of security through obscurity because there is no real monetary reward for crackers and hackers to break Linix" -AkG
Reply With Quote
  #46 (permalink)  
Old June 17, 2010, 07:31 PM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 203
Default

Hahaha, just tell him that he can get a tablet PC laptop for $600 that can actually do flash, and play games, and etc. Or AT LEAST tell him to buy an ipod touch, its not as much of a waste because it can fit in you're pocket unlike the ipad which has a processor thats slower than a 10 year old computers processor. Really 1.4GHz?!?! Whoopty Doo! I think the Playstation 2 has better specs than that piece of junk.
Reply With Quote
  #47 (permalink)  
Old June 18, 2010, 04:27 AM
m1dget's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Terrebonne, Qc
Posts: 707

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineLives View Post
Hahaha, just tell him that he can get a tablet PC laptop for $600 that can actually do flash, and play games, and etc. Or AT LEAST tell him to buy an ipod touch, its not as much of a waste because it can fit in you're pocket unlike the ipad which has a processor thats slower than a 10 year old computers processor. Really 1.4GHz?!?! Whoopty Doo! I think the Playstation 2 has better specs than that piece of junk.
Worthless post.

1) Flash -> Do not want.

2) Play games? It does.

3) ipod touch > ipad because it fits in your pocket? That would defeat the purpose of the ipad thus rendering your point invalid.

4) CPU too slow? For what it does and what it is -intended to do- it's the perfect balance between processing power and low consumption. Intelligent design > useless clock cycles.

5) You actually compare a PS2 to the ipad? Hmmk, lulz.
__________________
"NIX is a classic example of security through obscurity because there is no real monetary reward for crackers and hackers to break Linix" -AkG
Reply With Quote
  #48 (permalink)  
Old June 18, 2010, 06:29 AM
Synth's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ottawa-Hull
Posts: 688
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineLives View Post
Hahaha, just tell him that he can get a tablet PC laptop for $600 that can actually do flash, and play games, and etc. Or AT LEAST tell him to buy an ipod touch, its not as much of a waste because it can fit in you're pocket unlike the ipad which has a processor thats slower than a 10 year old computers processor. Really 1.4GHz?!?! Whoopty Doo! I think the Playstation 2 has better specs than that piece of junk.
I replaced my Q9550 desktop with a 1.3ghz notebook - I can still happily design, code for the Web and use Photoshop.

What's your point?

Edit: Guess what kind of processor you are most likely to find in a $600 tablet PC... You betcha, a 1.4ghz processor.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #49 (permalink)  
Old June 18, 2010, 06:40 AM
SneakySnake's Avatar
MVP
F@H
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Waterloo
Posts: 296

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineLives View Post
Hahaha, just tell him that he can get a tablet PC laptop for $600 that can actually do flash, and play games, and etc. Or AT LEAST tell him to buy an ipod touch, its not as much of a waste because it can fit in you're pocket unlike the ipad which has a processor thats slower than a 10 year old computers processor. Really 1.4GHz?!?! Whoopty Doo! I think the Playstation 2 has better specs than that piece of junk.
I'd much rather play games such as Civilization and Nazi Zombies on the iPad then play flash games online. And ten years ago was when AMD and Intel had just pushed out 1 GHz Athlon and Pentium III chips (March, 2000).

Honesly though, why all the hate towards the iPad? Even if you can't stand apple the iPad is pushing technology by making everyone else come out with new and better products. I can understand not liking a company, but I can't understand loathing every product that they make.

I really do not like nVidia as a company, but I don't hate them so much as to call their products a 'piece of junk', there products serve a very good purpose in the whole market of GPU's, and without them ATI would have crap GPU's due to the lack of competition. Apple is the same way. You may hate the companies ethics and business approach, but pretty much all of their products have been game changers, and drive technology forward.
Reply With Quote
  #50 (permalink)  
Old June 18, 2010, 07:49 AM
Neolithium_Wpg's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lancaster Park, Alberta
Posts: 732
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
I'd much rather play games such as Civilization and Nazi Zombies on the iPad then play flash games online. And ten years ago was when AMD and Intel had just pushed out 1 GHz Athlon and Pentium III chips (March, 2000).

Honesly though, why all the hate towards the iPad? Even if you can't stand apple the iPad is pushing technology by making everyone else come out with new and better products. I can understand not liking a company, but I can't understand loathing every product that they make.
I don't like the iPad for myself (Other users, go nuts and get one if you want one). I just have a personal preference where if I need more power than a smartphone, I want a full power notebook; I consider it a cool device with a few pros and cons but really have no use for it, aside from making my desk look like an Apple showroom.

In this particular situation, I think the iPhone is the smarter choice for his brother because of the other features it brings to the table (I was 14 once too, and a phone was far more useful than an information appliance).
__________________
Dell XPS8700 | Asus x101ch | iPhone 5 (iOS7)
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple Ipad Killer The U1 Hybrid iPad from Lenovo Death_Adder Press Releases & Tech News 6 February 5, 2010 06:25 AM
New build for my brother.. Realityshift New Builds 7 July 17, 2009 08:26 PM
Big brother wants a closer look 3 of 7 Off Topic 14 June 22, 2009 05:59 PM
Brother's comp belgolas Troubleshooting 2 January 22, 2009 09:22 PM
New build for my brother UberMoo New Builds 22 January 7, 2009 11:16 PM