Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > Mac

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 17, 2010, 08:49 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
iOS has a built-in Youtube app that plays videos without requiring Flash. Android does as well.
Yeah but it doesn't work all that well on my GF's iPad. I would say one out of every three movies plays without any issues while another 1 out of three skips frames every 10-15 seconds. The other movies just refuse to play.

Just for the record, I think the iPad has its uses. My girlfriend uses hers to keep track of her pharmacy inventory, display info to customers, create grocery lists, etc. However, reading any type of book, newspaper or magazine on it is a lesson in futility due to its glossy screen. We both get constant headaches after using it for a good amount of time.

So, for some people in the professional field it is a great device. For a 14 year old kid? Totally pointless.
Old June 17, 2010, 08:53 AM

Thread cleaned.

Let's keep it on topic folks.
Old June 17, 2010, 08:57 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
So, for some people in the professional field it is a great device. For a 14 year old kid? Totally pointless.
Definitely. For someone his age it would make much more sense to get an iPad Micro (iPhone), at least then he could get some texting and talking to friends/family done. The portability of an iPhone may be useful for someone that age too, I can't exactly see someone cramming an iPad into a pocket on their way out with friends.
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old June 17, 2010, 09:23 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
If the kid like stable and well thought products from a good company I don't see why you would need to rant about it on a forum
I mean it's not because is big brother don't seem to know jack squat about the subject that he shouldn't be able to procure himself a nice piece of equipement and maybe someday like and buy more Apple products.

Anyway, it's his money and you can't do shit about it

edit: and oh does it smell like another thread locked in that section...
Any fanboyism aside you have to admit first generation is usually missing critical things. I never expected the current one to be very good compared to other alternatives, but I am looking forward to what apple releases as future ipads.
Old June 17, 2010, 09:40 AM

And we all know that when Apple releases Gen.2, other companies will likely only be fiddling with their own early Gen 1 devices...
Old June 17, 2010, 09:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

it's a toy like most of all are crap let him play
Old June 17, 2010, 10:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What is the purpose of this thread? I just see this as one big flame war.

Personally it is his money. I bought a $200 cd-player when I was like 12 and dropped it one week after buying it and it broke. It didn't bother me because I didn't know the value of money.

If he doesn't have a phone than try to convince him to get an iPhone 4. The iPhone has been my best purchase. Although how would he pay for a the cell phone bill?

For a 14 year old the iPad doesn't have many uses. He probably doesn't have a movie/video collection to use it. He probably doesn't have the money for apps. He probably wont use it for education.

For $600 it is a waste for him.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old June 17, 2010, 10:42 AM
Banned
F@H

i say make a bet with him. one that you know you are going to win. if you lose and he actually continues to use it, then something good might come out of it. what would that be? time will tell
Old June 17, 2010, 11:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
What is the purpose of this thread? I just see this as one big flame war.
I don't really appreciate this thread period.

If I was moderator I would have closed it for being frivolous and inflammatory from the OP's post.

But then again I'm a fascist bastard....
Old June 17, 2010, 11:30 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver View Post
So im only 18. My brother is now 14. This weekend, he is going out to that sick corrupt fanboy hideout known as the Apple Store to purchase probably one of the most dumb financial decisions ever for a 14 year old, the iPad.

Ive told him its a stupid idea. That he is throwing $600 away. He won't listen, hes insisting he wants to buy it. Any ideas what to say to him to get him to stop? Hes got Steve Handjobbs iron-fist rammed so far up his fanboy ass that he cant make critical decisions for himself anymore.

Oh btw, I built him a PC this last Christmas and he has an apple sticker on it. Thought that might show you who he is better.

woops should have posted in iPod section.
I would say that your relationship with your brother should trump the fact that you hate apple. Does it really matter if he buys an iPad ?

And I don't mean to finger point but if your saying "he's got Steve Handjobbs iron fist rammed so far up his fanboy ass" it kinda makes you out to be the same thing, only on the opposite side of the spectrum.

Look at the iPad. Sure its pretty much useless to everyone, but if you think about it, so is pretty much everything in electronics. I don't need a 5850, but I bought one to game with. I could type out my essays just fine with some intel IGPU. There's lots of fun, cool things you can do on the iPad that he wants. And have you ever been to an Apple store? Personally I like macs, but I don't call the new MS stores disgusting PC fanboy hideouts. They're just stores that sell a product. It's not like those board game stores with guys playing warhammer in the back room.

I don't want to start a flame fight, I'm just trying to say that if you look at it reasonably, there is some fun things about the iPad, and that family relationships should trump any company allegiences.