Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > Mac

    
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #71 (permalink)  
Old June 7, 2010, 04:26 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 5,415

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neohaven View Post
You seem to be unaware of the dock connector's specs, or of the concepts of electronics in general.

The Dock connector has a certain (regulated) in/out voltage on various pins, which would be shorted by immersion in water or contact with electrolytes. The voltage is fixed by the regulator, though. What this means is that when the resistance drops, by Ohm's law, current has to increase. Mind telling me what happens to a wire with too much current going through it? It catches fire. Or, in the iPhone's case, blows out a few pins in the microcontrollers and voltage regulators. (It can even blow out the board tracks linked to pins 1, 2, 15, 16, 19, 20, 29 or 30. This means your iPhone won't charge, or won't be able to transfer data, or won't be able to use a remote anymore.

All the ports (except the audio port) on your iPhone have a minimal resistance of 1kOhm. Any less than that is undefined behavior. Especially on the Apple Accessory Protocol pins (25 and 27).

So yeah, it's possible to short out an iPhone from the outside. Much like it's possible to short out any device without popping it open. Also, it's pretty much the same for any other phone or device with a useful connector anywhere (From USB to 20-pin connectors on Samsung cell phones).

EDIT : Additionally, the dock connector, due to the small pins, is really sensitive to corrosion. It should be noted that sweat is especially rich in minerals that can promote this.

You know, that device, in the end, is like any other cell phone or computer. Just electronics with (in this case) fairly good software, but still a rather vulnerable piece.
I appreciate you talking to me like I'm an idiot. I know quite a bit more than you are giving me credit for, thank you very much. If the iPhone is so delicate that a small amount of sweat is sufficient to create a short circuit catastrophic enough to damage it, then Apple needs to take it back to the drawing board. I've handled thousands of electronic devices without any consideration for limiting contact with my sweaty hands, and not once has that resulted in any damage to any components. If an iPhone would be at risk of failure from that kind of handling, then that would be a result of poor design, plain and simple. Most companies would not even consider releasing such a product to the market, especially if it were something like a cellphone where constant handling and use under different temperature, humidity, and weather conditions is the expected environment.
  #72 (permalink)  
Old June 7, 2010, 04:43 PM
Neolithium_Wpg's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lancaster Park, Alberta
Posts: 732
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
I appreciate you talking to me like I'm an idiot. I know quite a bit more than you are giving me credit for, thank you very much. If the iPhone is so delicate that a small amount of sweat is sufficient to create a short circuit catastrophic enough to damage it, then Apple needs to take it back to the drawing board. I've handled thousands of electronic devices without any consideration for limiting contact with my sweaty hands, and not once has that resulted in any damage to any components. If an iPhone would be at risk of failure from that kind of handling, then that would be a result of poor design, plain and simple. Most companies would not even consider releasing such a product to the market, especially if it were something like a cellphone where constant handling and use under different temperature, humidity, and weather conditions is the expected environment.
It's not remotely that fragile. I've been jogging in heavy downpours with my iPhone ending up soaked before I got home, had it take a few trips down the stairs, basically it's had one hell of a beating and the thing is working just fine. Oddly enough I took mine in to check a possible battery issue (After all those beatings and soakings due to storm-jogging) and not one of the people at the Apple store said a word after cracking it open, warranty was fine.
__________________
Dell XPS8700 | Asus x101ch | iPhone 5 (iOS7)
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
  #73 (permalink)  
Old June 7, 2010, 11:59 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 10

My System Specs

Default

"Water damage" at Apple includes but isn't limited to : Corrosion, color change in any tracks or solder on the board and marks in the glue that holds a few things together if and only if the liquid indicators are bright pink. Notice that the liquid indicators are not the first thing checked. And this is only in the case of someone saying "My iPhone is ******, it thinks it's docked", for example.

It will void the warranty only for the electrical parts. A cracked screen, even with extensive water damage (ie. all indicators deep pink) will warrant an immediate replacement of your iPhone.

Also, I said it could, that is, given enough sweat. The point is, and I quote :
Quote:
There has to be a certain quantity for the liquid indicators to change color, much higher than what is excreted by the palms of any person I know.
I've even seen a few iPhones get replaced with electrical damage due to corrosion. One had its jack indicator white, the dock one slightly pink.

If you get into an Apple Store without giving the guy a hard time, you can pretty much get anything repaired.
  #74 (permalink)  
Old June 8, 2010, 10:37 AM
JD's Avatar
JD JD is offline
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 6,903

My System Specs

Default

Regarding Apple's business practices, the most recent event I can think of is the whole fiasco with the Gizmodo editor having all his computers confiscated due to him purchasing the lost iPhone 4 prototype. I'd say that was pretty poorly executed IMO and could of been done on the "down low" so to speak. Apple could of just sent somebody over to pickup the phone.
  #75 (permalink)  
Old June 8, 2010, 02:34 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 10

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Apple could of just sent somebody over to pickup the phone.
Gizmodo wanted written confirmation that it was a prototype. They basically extorted a scoop. In California, that is illegal, as in most of the US. Withholding stolen property is a rather serious offense there.
  #76 (permalink)  
Old June 8, 2010, 05:20 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 5,415

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neolithium_Wpg View Post
It's not remotely that fragile. I've been jogging in heavy downpours with my iPhone ending up soaked before I got home, had it take a few trips down the stairs, basically it's had one hell of a beating and the thing is working just fine. Oddly enough I took mine in to check a possible battery issue (After all those beatings and soakings due to storm-jogging) and not one of the people at the Apple store said a word after cracking it open, warranty was fine.
Exactly. If the phone isn't fragile enough to be damaged by exposure to sweat, then the water damage indicators should not be activated by it.
  #77 (permalink)  
Old June 8, 2010, 07:54 PM
MVP
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Peterborough/Barrie Ontario
Posts: 292
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
Not at all. MS are evil for all the crap they injected in the computing world and their incompetence to do virtually anything good. Heck I think the only good thing they did was when they worked on the Xenix project back then... and I don't have to tell you that it wasn't a "real" MS product and why it didn't fail as much like their own OS.
How does Windows fail? it is the most widely used piece of software, included in nearly every computer package, supports nearly every piece of hardware and software, while still being simple enough for nearly everyone to figure out.

There are no other operating system that can do all of these things at the same time. The alternatives might be better in their particular area, but until every computer sales person is willing to work with you to find the best operating system (not including people who want something very general) Windows will remain the best OS.
  #78 (permalink)  
Old June 9, 2010, 03:08 AM
m1dget's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Terrebonne, Qc
Posts: 707

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agafaba View Post
How does Windows fail? it is the most widely used piece of software, included in nearly every computer package, supports nearly every piece of hardware and software, while still being simple enough for nearly everyone to figure out.

There are no other operating system that can do all of these things at the same time. The alternatives might be better in their particular area, but until every computer sales person is willing to work with you to find the best operating system (not including people who want something very general) Windows will remain the best OS.
Here we go again... (for ****'s sake)

Your claim has no value and if you want to have a clear answer just go read all the other Apple/Mac thread that exists already and started off with a remark like yours. I've/we've seen it a zillion time and we went about as many time over it as we saw it

If you want to continue with that train of thought, quote me in another thread and it will be me pleasure answering you/having a conversation with you on that exact subject.
__________________
"NIX is a classic example of security through obscurity because there is no real monetary reward for crackers and hackers to break Linix" -AkG
  #79 (permalink)  
Old June 9, 2010, 05:35 AM
chrisk's Avatar
Folding Captain
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: GTA, Ontario
Posts: 7,403

My System Specs

Default

Not only is the video gone, but the comments on his channel asking where the video went seem to be missing. Anyone have an update on this? My BS radar is still going off.
__________________
Fold for team #54196
  #80 (permalink)  
Old June 9, 2010, 07:03 AM
Digikid's Avatar
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,729
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Not only is the video gone, but the comments on his channel asking where the video went seem to be missing. Anyone have an update on this? My BS radar is still going off.
I agree. VERY fishy indeed.
Closed Thread


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Interesting article about Apple m1dget Mac 0 April 20, 2010 05:38 PM
Apple keynote bloopers... m1dget Mac 5 April 19, 2010 10:51 AM
Apple tech training odis172 Off Topic 10 May 20, 2009 05:05 PM
Apple did something sort of right... muse108dc Off Topic 0 May 7, 2009 01:30 AM
apple Iphone 3g tzetsin iPhone & iPods 12 September 6, 2008 05:32 PM