Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > Mac

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 6, 2010, 10:46 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
You too? After the conversation we had in the second page it comes down to insulting me? Nice
Not necessarily aimed at you. The article talks about fanboys of all stripes.
Fold for team #54196
Old June 6, 2010, 11:58 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpolyz View Post
Not how much money they are making, their profit margin, sales increase, and all that BS.

How they contribute to our world, treat their employees, innovate, create, change, satisfy, treat competition and consumers, etc.

I don't see how they are "exceptional" in any of those fields. Maybe if you wanted to invest in them they'd be a "exceptional" company. Go ahead and try to explain to me how they've been "exceptional" by that criteria.
Well your definition of 'all that BS' is how 100% of companies run I'm afraid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpolyz View Post
Do we have to meet Hitler in person to judge if he's a good person or not? I think people can learn a great deal by looking at Videos, images, descriptions, pros/cons, reviews and knowing well enough if something is a good gadget or not. This guy is trying to make the assumption that everyone who dislikes the ipad just isn't educated. Most people on this site for instance know how good a GTX260 graphics card is, for example (it's a common GPU), and people will recommend it to others even if they don't personally own it. We don't have to own something to not know stuff about it.
The iPad thing was completely different. People had their minds made up long before any reviews were out or anyone had played with it. The tech sites were flame wars whenever an article was posted. The difference between the iPad and Hitler (strange analogy) is that although we don't know Hitler we've seen the effects of his life. Everyone (tech wise) thought the iPad was either great or useless before anyone had played with it or reviewed it. And were only now beginning to see its effects. I can tell you right now that when Apple releases its next quarterly earnings report they will have made a lot of profit. They've already sold or 2 million iPads, and at lets say $300 of profit per device thats an increase of about $600 million in profits, in just 2 months. That doesn't take into the the lower sales of iTouch's and Macbooks, but those figures are minimal, so lets say $400 million in profits already, in two months. Obviously they're doing something right (marketing).

You may hate parts of the company, and I will be the first to agree with you. Their business ethics are ruthless. But when it comes to a company the innovates and changes the market, Apple is one of the first to come to mind. If someone asked the question "Which technology company has changed our generation the most" the answer would almost certainly be Apple. They have a different type of innovation.

Although they weren't the first to come up with the design for the iPod, iPad, heck, even OS X, they took what existed, changed it slightly, coupled it with great marketing, and released products that every company on the planet would kill for (iPod, iPhone, and iPad).

Are they perfect? no. Is there a lot of room for improvement when it comes to their ethics? yes. But don't pretend that they aren't a game changing company, and two parts of your 'good company' thesis are innovation and change.

Last edited by SneakySnake; June 6, 2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old June 6, 2010, 01:10 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJunky View Post
What does family guy have to do with this? Do you even know where the expression he used comes from?
Jonestown Massacre. Look it up.
My culture stops right after cartoons and all the computer stuff in library.

Don't expect much from me after that
Old June 6, 2010, 05:02 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Interesting. The iPhone has liquid indicators placed on the outside; one near the bottom connector, and the other on the edge of the headphone jack.

Manufacturers usually put these on the inside (ie. the circuit board). Apple of course, has them there too.

Seems that if any of these indicators turn red, the warranty is void. Problem is, palm sweat can turn the outside indicators red. Seems Apple is pretty eager to void folks' warranties:

YouTube - BBC Watchdog - iPhone water damage indicator issue
Fold for team #54196
Old June 6, 2010, 05:21 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Interesting. The iPhone has liquid indicators placed on the outside; one near the bottom connector, and the other on the edge of the headphone jack.

Manufacturers usually put these on the inside (ie. the circuit board). Apple of course, has them there too.

Seems that if any of these indicators turn red, the warranty is void. Problem is, palm sweat can turn the outside indicators red.
Yes, yes. Given that palm sweat or any type of water-based liquid with electrolytes (which palm sweat is) can short out electronics, I would say that's fairly reasonable.

Warranties are made to warrant the consumer (hence the name) from shitty hardware that breaks because of the manufacturer's mistakes. Would you actually argue that your palm sweat dripping in the headphone jack or dock connector is Apple's fault? There has to be a certain quantity for the liquid indicators to change color, much higher than what is excreted by the palms of any person I know.

"Warranties cover up my fuckups" seems to be a common (also, wrong) belief these days.
Old June 6, 2010, 05:51 PM
Banned

Apple's HTML5 Showcase Isn't HTML5, Blocks Other Browsers

oh brother.....
Old June 6, 2010, 06:15 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by neohaven View Post
Yes, yes. Given that palm sweat or any type of water-based liquid with electrolytes (which palm sweat is) can short out electronics, I would say that's fairly reasonable.
Palm sweat isn't going to short-circuit an iPhone from the outside.
Old June 7, 2010, 03:02 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Palm sweat isn't going to short-circuit an iPhone from the outside.
You seem to be unaware of the dock connector's specs, or of the concepts of electronics in general.

The Dock connector has a certain (regulated) in/out voltage on various pins, which would be shorted by immersion in water or contact with electrolytes. The voltage is fixed by the regulator, though. What this means is that when the resistance drops, by Ohm's law, current has to increase. Mind telling me what happens to a wire with too much current going through it? It catches fire. Or, in the iPhone's case, blows out a few pins in the microcontrollers and voltage regulators. (It can even blow out the board tracks linked to pins 1, 2, 15, 16, 19, 20, 29 or 30. This means your iPhone won't charge, or won't be able to transfer data, or won't be able to use a remote anymore.

All the ports (except the audio port) on your iPhone have a minimal resistance of 1kOhm. Any less than that is undefined behavior. Especially on the Apple Accessory Protocol pins (25 and 27).

So yeah, it's possible to short out an iPhone from the outside. Much like it's possible to short out any device without popping it open. Also, it's pretty much the same for any other phone or device with a useful connector anywhere (From USB to 20-pin connectors on Samsung cell phones).

EDIT : Additionally, the dock connector, due to the small pins, is really sensitive to corrosion. It should be noted that sweat is especially rich in minerals that can promote this.

You know, that device, in the end, is like any other cell phone or computer. Just electronics with (in this case) fairly good software, but still a rather vulnerable piece.

Last edited by neohaven; June 7, 2010 at 03:25 AM.
Old June 7, 2010, 07:51 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The chances of shorting it out from sweat are slim. We are not talking immersion in sweat here...where talking a mere drop or two of sweat (ie DAMP hands)....just enough to turn that blue strip PINK and void your warranty. Its a douche move from a douche company. If the iphone is that frickin sensitive to moisture it has no right being on the market. Put a damn cap over the plugs like most phones have if they are worried about it shorting out from sweaty hands. Don't void the warranty because of form over function BS. :/

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 7, 2010, 08:20 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by neohaven View Post
You know, that device, in the end, is like any other cell phone or computer. Just electronics with (in this case) fairly good software, but still a rather vulnerable piece.
I agree that folks should not be stupid with their gear and then expect a repair. But if the iPhone is especially vulnerable to hand sweat, then Apple should express clearly (ie. an easily removed applique on the device port) that sweat can void the warranty. It is not typical for hand sweat to void a phone warranty.
Fold for team #54196
Closed Thread