Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > Mac

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 5, 2010, 03:43 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Here is a relevant article I saw over at Hard:

Quote:
On the other hand, if the product is unnecessary, like an iPad, there is a great chance the customer will become a fanboy because they had to choose to spend a big chunk of money on it. It's the choosing one thing over another which leads to narratives about why you did it.
If you have to rationalize why you bought a luxury item, you will probably find ways to see how it fits in with your self-image.
Branding builds on this by giving you the option to create the person you think you are through choosing to align yourself with the mystique of certain products.
Fanboyism and Brand Loyalty
Fold for team #54196
Old June 5, 2010, 08:58 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpolyz View Post
Could you please explain how Apple is a good company, or any better than Microsoft?
Define good. I'm an economics student, and by my definition of a good company, apple is exceptional.
Old June 5, 2010, 09:55 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
Define good. I'm an economics student, and by my definition of a good company, apple is exceptional.
Not how much money they are making, their profit margin, sales increase, and all that BS.

How they contribute to our world, treat their employees, innovate, create, change, satisfy, treat competition and consumers, etc.

I don't see how they are "exceptional" in any of those fields. Maybe if you wanted to invest in them they'd be a "exceptional" company. Go ahead and try to explain to me how they've been "exceptional" by that criteria.

Last edited by Polygon; June 5, 2010 at 10:01 PM.
Old June 5, 2010, 10:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

In that case most companies are not very good either. :P
Old June 5, 2010, 10:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post

Here is a quote from gizmodo bashing that article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmodo reader

Invite a friend to comment

Left out is the other huge fanboy-flaming fan: blogs. Just look at how easily the internet was manipulated one way then the other about the iPad. How many readers actually touched the device when, having read the blogs trash it then love it, decided it was bad then good?

Even in this post, the whole purpose of which is to be objective about fanboyism, check out this old saw:

"Apple advertising, for instance, doesn't mention how good their computers are. Instead, they give you examples of the sort of people who purchase those computers. The idea is to encourage you to say, 'Yeah, I'm not some stuffy, conservative nerd. I have taste and talent and took art classes in college.'"

Both Microsoft and Apple give examples of the sort of people who purchase their computers, and both also advertise features. But look who’s perpetuating the dated caricature that Apple advertising "doesn't mention how good their computers are" and caters to metrosexuals who took art classes in college. A lot of Apple ads these days feature a hand. Hard to tell what class it took in college.

Here's another quote:

"On the other hand, if the product is unnecessary, like an iPad, there is a great chance the customer will become a fanboy because they had to choose to spend a big chunk of money on it."

Whether an iPad is necessary or unnecessary is a value judgment. As an Amish person (Mennonite, actually), I know more than a few people who think phones are unnecessary. Is everyone here a fanboy because they spent so much money on such an unnecessary item as a phone? Or do you take a different view of phones?

Sneaking in the assumption that an iPad is unnecessary and overpriced, as if that's universally agreed, as if there isn’t another point of view, quietly but forcefully promotes fanboyism.

Everyone mocks Steve Jobs' reality distortion field, but the blogosphere is an even bigger warzone of reality distortion fields vying for credibility and nurturing fanboys in their wake.

Blogger, please!

Imagine, say, a sports blogger disavowing his own influence over the sports fans who get frothed into a tiz by reading his blog.

You're part of it, you blogger you!!! You fuel the fires of fanboyism as much as anything!

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old June 5, 2010, 10:31 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Left out is the other huge fanboy-flaming fan: blogs. Just look at how easily the internet was manipulated one way then the other about the iPad. How many readers actually touched the device when, having read the blogs trash it then love it, decided it was bad then good?
Do we have to meet Hitler in person to judge if he's a good person or not? I think people can learn a great deal by looking at Videos, images, descriptions, pros/cons, reviews and knowing well enough if something is a good gadget or not. This guy is trying to make the assumption that everyone who dislikes the ipad just isn't educated. Most people on this site for instance know how good a GTX260 graphics card is, for example (it's a common GPU), and people will recommend it to others even if they don't personally own it. We don't have to own something to not know stuff about it.

Then he seems to dribble on, misunderstanding quotes he takes from the article...

I really liked that article, personally. The site it came from is very interesting.
Old June 6, 2010, 12:12 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
Difference is... if the government was all over MS for being unethical then m1dget would be yelling it from the rooftops. If they investigate Apple then it's obviously because the government doesn't know anything or perhaps they are just unethical.

*cough*
Well I think you can differentiate plain ignorance of this case to a company that (nearly) killed the browser market in the 90s with anti-competitive methods back then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digikid View Post

That was the BEST laugh I had all year.

Thanks midget.
Sarcasm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_HT View Post
m1dget... are you by any chance a used car salesman?
Non-sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
I doubt it. He doesn't seem to be especially good at convincing people to believe things that aren't true.
Keep the pointless argument coming Zero, I love them. They make no sens and it takes all the credit of your previous post out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Yes....BUT you are assuming he is trying to sell everyone a apple "used car"....maybe he is playing a deeper game and is really trying to sell everyone a MS car! In which case....he's awfully damn good at his job! :)~
Wait what? You guys really have nothing to say anymore or what? It started out as a normal thread and now it must be near being closed because of all that

Quote:

Tell me m1dget, when are you going to drink the Kool-aid?

It's sad that most legitimate apple users I know, and I know at least half a dozen dedicated ones, are not only die hard fan boys but now CULT MEMBERS.

Could you please explain how Apple is a good company, or any better than Microsoft?
Nice Family Guy reference, but as you might know I don't even own an Apple product else than my good old replica of an Apple one that I built myself in the past. Knowing what a device can do and knowing quite well it's OS is different from being a fanboy.

I just state my opinion on a BSD OS, a product lineup I know fairly well and on a company that I understand without any bias how they work and I'm compared to a fanboy.

Seriously go on youtube 5 seconds and -now- you will see Apple fanboy. And yes I hate them about as much as you do. They make no sense... and that goes with the guys on the other end of the fence

Also, if people decide to sign the nice contract and then whine that Apple is a bad company for removing their app or whatever "evil" that was in the contract that they did, well it's their problem. Apple is not evil for doing so.

If people always want the easiest way out and choose apple to publish their software instead of going out on their own on and publish it and think that they will make easy money in the process while saving time and money with everything in the process of creating their company and publish their software with their own tools, well I call that stupidity.

Anybody who has a real software company here will tell you the same I'm pretty sure (including me)... and by real software company I mean no web dev or small iphone apps, I mean real software company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
It's simple. Microsoft makes more money than Apple, and therefore they are evil.
Not at all. MS are evil for all the crap they injected in the computing world and their incompetence to do virtually anything good. Heck I think the only good thing they did was when they worked on the Xenix project back then... and I don't have to tell you that it wasn't a "real" MS product and why it didn't fail as much like their own OS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post

You too? After the conversation we had in the second page it comes down to insulting me? Nice

Quote:
Not how much money they are making, their profit margin, sales increase, and all that BS.

How they contribute to our world, treat their employees, innovate, create, change, satisfy, treat competition and consumers, etc.

I don't see how they are "exceptional" in any of those fields. Maybe if you wanted to invest in them they'd be a "exceptional" company. Go ahead and try to explain to me how they've been "exceptional" by that criteria.
To the world? They are a company, they don't owe anyone anything.

Employees? Be a more than competent programmer and you have -heck- of a nice job there.

Innovate? Create? Change? Satisfy? You are talking about a company that is about 5 years in front of anybody in terms of about anything. Never wandered why most of Apple's competitors are just following them in their shadow and have similar, if not the same, product as them in their lineup? It's not obivous inventions, it's simply that they create innovations and don't fear to make a drastic change to satisfy a part of the market that -they- created.

Quote:
Do we have to meet Hitler in person to judge if he's a good person or not? I think people can learn a great deal by looking at Videos, images, descriptions, pros/cons, reviews and knowing well enough if something is a good gadget or not. This guy is trying to make the assumption that everyone who dislikes the ipad just isn't educated. Most people on this site for instance know how good a GTX260 graphics card is, for example (it's a common GPU), and people will recommend it to others even if they don't personally own it. We don't have to own something to not know stuff about it.

Then he seems to dribble on, misunderstanding quotes he takes from the article...

I really liked that article, personally. The site it came from is very interesting.

It's not news that most people are not -fully- or nearly enough educated about the things they don't like (and even like).
But people simply choose not to be well educated and just follows the easiest way out: whining over something because either a "so called" expert says so or simply by being a sheep and follow everybody else who does the same thing.

If you want to know why I like that company and like most of their products (especially their OS), I can recommend you a few books on the subject so you can see why it's better than most of the other alternatives on the desktop market after.

But meh, there's virtually nobody that will actually read those books and people will still keep trying to go the easiest way out and keep whining about apple being evil and everything
Old June 6, 2010, 08:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Midget : It is now a positive that you are a raving mac fanboy. LOL!!!!!!
Note that LOL. It was a Joke. I said that because it appears that you are defending Apple tooth and nail for what they are doing.
Old June 6, 2010, 08:11 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Note that LOL. It was a Joke. I said that because it appears that you are defending Apple tooth and nail for what they are doing.
Ahh, ok ;)

I didn't get your joke
Old June 6, 2010, 11:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
Nice Family Guy reference,blahblahblahblah
What does family guy have to do with this? Do you even know where the expression he used comes from?
Jonestown Massacre. Look it up.
Closed Thread