Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > Mac

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31 (permalink)  
Old May 17, 2010, 09:37 AM
Arinoth's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Halifax
Posts: 8,574

My System Specs

Default

I believe that was very well put begaolas. Each system has its own place, specialties and well annoyances.
Reply With Quote
  #32 (permalink)  
Old May 17, 2010, 12:23 PM
CroSsFiRe2009's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 1,111

My System Specs

Default

I think belgolas just killed the thread with his post :P, there's no point of discussing anything any more lol

I don't think large, almost desktop replacement laptops can be compared to macbooks. The only thing I'd consider comparing at this point is the HP Envy. Almost as expensive as the MBP, looks the same but is much more powerful and can probably make a mean hackintosh.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #33 (permalink)  
Old May 17, 2010, 12:38 PM
Neolithium_Wpg's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lancaster Park, Alberta
Posts: 732
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I think belgolas just killed the thread with his post :P, there's no point of discussing anything any more lol

I don't think large, almost desktop replacement laptops can be compared to macbooks. The only thing I'd consider comparing at this point is the HP Envy. Almost as expensive as the MBP, looks the same but is much more powerful and can probably make a mean hackintosh.
Evidently I haven't been paying attention to many notebooks; those Envy's look freakin' nice. I may have to swing by a store and have a peek.
__________________
Dell XPS8700 | Asus x101ch | iPhone 5 (iOS7)
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Reply With Quote
  #34 (permalink)  
Old May 17, 2010, 01:35 PM
lowfat's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Posts: 7,911

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
There is also this rumor that Mac lasts longer than a windows Machine. Well that is utterly false. If you look at some recent studies Apple has a failure rate similar to Sony laptops. While HP is the worst Dell surprisingly lasts just as long as Apple computers. There are some windows companies that last longer than Apple. Although Apple does have the highest customer satisfaction.
The hardware might not last longer but it sure does hold its value considerably more.

For me aesthetics plays a huge part of it. Apple has been leaps and bounds above other manufacturers in this department for years. Just recently other manufacturers have started to make nicer looking computers (i.e. Dell Adamo).

I'll also say that the 27" iMac is a great price considering the display it packs. Considering the U2711 is $1200+ and it doesn't even use LED backlighting.
Reply With Quote
  #35 (permalink)  
Old May 17, 2010, 01:49 PM
Neolithium_Wpg's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lancaster Park, Alberta
Posts: 732
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
The hardware might not last longer but it sure does hold its value considerably more.

For me aesthetics plays a huge part of it. Apple has been leaps and bounds above other manufacturers in this department for years. Just recently other manufacturers have started to make nicer looking computers (i.e. Dell Adamo).

I'll also say that the 27" iMac is a great price considering the display it packs. Considering the U2711 is $1200+ and it doesn't even use LED backlighting.
I never could argue about the look of of the new aluminium Macs, from a sheer aesthetic view, they kick almost everything's ***. The iMac desktop footprint also is nothing to complain about, for people who have very limited space or don't want a tower crammed somewhere out of the way it's a nifty design. It'd be nice to see them include an SSD option once they refresh the iMacs but there seems to be a fair bit of time before they do that, unfortunately. I'm willing to rip a panel off a MBP to fire an SSD in, but not quite sure about dismantling a whole iMac
__________________
Dell XPS8700 | Asus x101ch | iPhone 5 (iOS7)
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Reply With Quote
  #36 (permalink)  
Old May 17, 2010, 02:13 PM
lowfat's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Posts: 7,911

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neolithium_Wpg View Post
The iMac desktop footprint also is nothing to complain about, for people who have very limited space or don't want a tower crammed somewhere out of the way it's a nifty design. It'd be nice to see them include an SSD option once they refresh the iMacs but there seems to be a fair bit of time before they do that, unfortunately. I'm willing to rip a panel off a MBP to fire an SSD in, but not quite sure about dismantling a whole iMac
My iMac


It was actually very easy to do. But I agree there should have been an SSD option from the start.
Reply With Quote
  #37 (permalink)  
Old May 17, 2010, 02:13 PM
Digikid's Avatar
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,731
Default

I agree on that.....the iMacs are quite pleasing to the eye.
Reply With Quote
  #38 (permalink)  
Old May 17, 2010, 02:28 PM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 68
Default

Here is my stance on the subject: If someone comes to me asking what kind of mac they should get, I'll help them pick out the right Mac. If someone asks me what kind of "computer" they should get, most likely I will recommend a windows 7 machine.

My view is that the differences between the windows 7 and OSX are not big enough to make up the price difference. 99% of the people I know dont care if windows uses GDI, a registry, or whatever, as long as it works fine. And windows 7 has worked great. I actually only got back into the PC world about 6-8 months ago. not long after windows 7 came out. Before that, I was a hardcore Mac fanboy. I had an iMac, a Macbook pro, and a white Macbook. I still have my 17" macbook pro but am seriously considering selling it while it still has good value and maybe getting something either cheaper or a gaming laptop. I paid $2300 for the thing and am seriously regretting it...

Plus I don't really like the choices that apple offers. The cheapest tower is $2400 with mediocre hardware. The iMac forces you to buy what some people consider a $700 or $1000 display. Mac mini has no high-end choices. The laptops get really hot, not just CPU temp, but the case itself becomes really uncomfortable. I know other laptops do this too, its just something I've ended up hating with my Macbook pro. watching youtube videos scorches my lap....

Based on these problems, I know that I wont be getting another Mac in the foreseeable future. although, if they release OSX to be installed on any Pc, I would probably at least try a dual boot, even though I have no need for it.

and in the end, my answer is basically Yes, they are overpriced.
Reply With Quote
  #39 (permalink)  
Old May 17, 2010, 02:47 PM
Neolithium_Wpg's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lancaster Park, Alberta
Posts: 732
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
My iMac
It was actually very easy to do. But I agree there should have been an SSD option from the start.
*drools*
__________________
Dell XPS8700 | Asus x101ch | iPhone 5 (iOS7)
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Reply With Quote
  #40 (permalink)  
Old May 17, 2010, 04:19 PM
m1dget's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Terrebonne, Qc
Posts: 707

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digikid View Post
Unix is the base from both Linux and OSX came from which makes it the same core-wise. Same code....different Interface.
So... much... things... wrong... in... there ^ 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
I agree there is always a lot of fud. Windows guys and Mac guys have NO clue about the opposite products.

Yes you can get a much cheaper computer from a windows company but I will NEVER buy my mom a windows PC as she is not tech savvy enough. My brothers and I bought here a Mac mini for her birthday. After getting a few upgrades, monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers it came very close to 1 grand (several years ago). At that time I could have built her a much cheaper computer but not as small and not on Mac. She is the kind of person that calls customer service because she forgot to push the monitor power button(should have gotten her an iMac :p). Funny thing though the Apple genius couldn't figure out the problem till I can home and I just pushed the monitor power button lol.

My dad on the other hand owns his own business and needs windows because the programs he uses is not on Mac. So I built him a $700 computer monitor, keyboard, mouse, OS (thank you technet :) ) included. It is pretty fast as it also has a SSD in it. He doesn't use the internet much so has never had a virus and I never had to fix anything for him. While my mom still complains about something though it is always user error.

There is also this rumor that Mac lasts longer than a windows Machine. Well that is utterly false. If you look at some recent studies Apple has a failure rate similar to Sony laptops. While HP is the worst Dell surprisingly lasts just as long as Apple computers. There are some windows companies that last longer than Apple. Although Apple does have the highest customer satisfaction.

There is also this rumor (M1dget even keeps saying) that Macs are similar in price. If you look at this MacBook Pro - Buy MacBook Pro notebook computers - Apple Store (Canada), then look at this LU Computers. That Asus 15" is cheaper than the 13" higher end Macbook. It is MUCH faster, MUCH higher resolution, and overall better. The only thing hardware wise the Mac has better is the battery life. Meanwhile if you look at this NCIX.com - Buy ASUS G51JX-QB1 Intel Core i7 720QM 8GB 500GB 15.6IN FHD GeForce GTS360M BD-ROM Win 7 Prem Notebook - G51JX-QB1-CBIL In Canada. it is cheaper than the 15". It is much faster, much higher resolution, double the ram, can play 1080P blue-ray as because it has a blue-ray drive. Again the Mac only has battery life. Oh and both of those laptops come with more accesories for FREE. Plus they both come with a free laptop bag.

But you can't argue price because some prefer that OS over others. So you can't really argue that one is better than the other. With a Mac you have an awesome easy to use computer. You have the best computer for movie, and audio creation for the average Joe. Meanwhile with windows you can do everything the Mac can do but somethings just not as good or as easy.

So this thread really has no purpose other than if you are a windows guy that doesn't need the features of the Mac OS then yes it is overpriced. But if you are a Mac guy that needs or wants those features than no it isn't overpriced at all.
1) For the genius... I'm pretty sure he didn't think the problem could be -that- stupid

2) For the price, the macbooks price are not bad at all compared to what you could get from a 'clone' manufacturer. They are affordable for the hardware and software that you get with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neolithium_Wpg View Post
I never could argue about the look of of the new aluminium Macs, from a sheer aesthetic view, they kick almost everything's ***. The iMac desktop footprint also is nothing to complain about, for people who have very limited space or don't want a tower crammed somewhere out of the way it's a nifty design. It'd be nice to see them include an SSD option once they refresh the iMacs but there seems to be a fair bit of time before they do that, unfortunately. I'm willing to rip a panel off a MBP to fire an SSD in, but not quite sure about dismantling a whole iMac
The SSD would be just a hardware enthusiast's superficial gift to himself wouldn't it? You know you don't need that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoth View Post
Here is my stance on the subject: If someone comes to me asking what kind of mac they should get, I'll help them pick out the right Mac. If someone asks me what kind of "computer" they should get, most likely I will recommend a windows 7 machine.

My view is that the differences between the windows 7 and OSX are not big enough to make up the price difference. 99% of the people I know dont care if windows uses GDI, a registry, or whatever, as long as it works fine. And windows 7 has worked great. I actually only got back into the PC world about 6-8 months ago. not long after windows 7 came out. Before that, I was a hardcore Mac fanboy. I had an iMac, a Macbook pro, and a white Macbook. I still have my 17" macbook pro but am seriously considering selling it while it still has good value and maybe getting something either cheaper or a gaming laptop. I paid $2300 for the thing and am seriously regretting it...

Plus I don't really like the choices that apple offers. The cheapest tower is $2400 with mediocre hardware. The iMac forces you to buy what some people consider a $700 or $1000 display. Mac mini has no high-end choices. The laptops get really hot, not just CPU temp, but the case itself becomes really uncomfortable. I know other laptops do this too, its just something I've ended up hating with my Macbook pro. watching youtube videos scorches my lap....

Based on these problems, I know that I wont be getting another Mac in the foreseeable future. although, if they release OSX to be installed on any Pc, I would probably at least try a dual boot, even though I have no need for it.

and in the end, my answer is basically Yes, they are overpriced.
I have a little problem with what you are saying. Yes people might not care at all about how their OS works as long as it works, but I think you could agree that they shouldn't be -used- to it slowing down, having corrupted files and loosing their data on a yearly/monthly basis, getting virus and having to pay a high price very often for having it repaired.
Most of you will tell me that it's the user and all the usual things on that subject, but the problem -is- there.

People can't be careful and screw up their computer way too easily.
Give one person a Windows machine and another one a Mac, let them use it normally and you will see the windows machine coming back way faster than the OSX one for the pile of usual troubles.
Sure Windows "works", but it could work so much better to prevent a lot of the usual trouble. Take svchost for example... the system could be so much safer if it was NOT an option for 'untrusted' program to run in, but no, it's optional
But I'm not going to start (again) on Windows multiple hundreds of 'core' problem

For the tower, you can't compare that with a normal desktop as it -not- one, it's a workstation. Compare it with other companies' workstation or server and you will see that the price is not that different afterall since it's built like a server.

For the temps problem... it's a laptop, get use to it ;)
__________________
"NIX is a classic example of security through obscurity because there is no real monetary reward for crackers and hackers to break Linix" -AkG
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Macs at McMaster University netforce Off Topic 45 April 10, 2009 02:50 PM