Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

..... you know what I mean.....
Old February 17, 2011, 12:07 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I'd just like to say I think its cool that this is the only forum I've been on with mac/pc discussions that stay pretty polite and civil.
Old February 17, 2011, 12:31 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
How can you compare a mac to a high end pc? Half the time the hardware in a mac is that of a low end pc at best! Unless you really dish out the money and buy the top of the line stuff.
Don't get us started again

And I'd like to eat some said words earlier. I believe like said, that Mac's are in the high end computer market, but that they are overpriced, especially in the case of the macbook pro's.
Old February 17, 2011, 05:59 AM
F@H

My System Specs

He's trying to say comparing the same price point. You get a lot more powerful computer spending 2 grand in a PC then you do for its apple counterpart.
Old February 17, 2011, 07:17 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
He's trying to say comparing the same price point. You get a lot more powerful computer spending 2 grand in a PC then you do for its apple counterpart.
Yup, and that's why they are overpriced
Old February 17, 2011, 01:18 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Apple is not overpriced.. it all depends on the perspective you hold.. what you pay for with apple is the collaboration between software/os and hardware teams. the engineering communications is unlike any other companies today. with the collaboration of the two teams you get an initial quality better than that of even the best PC companies you can name.. not only that when you open up something like a macbook PRO you will see exactly the hardware expertise they are talking about. the mother board in a macbook pro 15" is the same size and one in a 10" netbook.. they are possibly the smallest motherboards i have ever seen in my entire life... on top of that their memory is very specific, it is server quality, i have a mac and seen its full capabilities, its unlike any other computer i used.. they are the most reliable laptops i have ever had :-) i was never a mac fan, but once i got one for myself i changed my mind
Old February 17, 2011, 01:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallcschm View Post
Apple is not overpriced.. it all depends on the perspective you hold.. what you pay for with apple is the collaboration between software/os and hardware teams. the engineering communications is unlike any other companies today. with the collaboration of the two teams you get an initial quality better than that of even the best PC companies you can name.. not only that when you open up something like a macbook PRO you will see exactly the hardware expertise they are talking about. the mother board in a macbook pro 15" is the same size and one in a 10" netbook.. they are possibly the smallest motherboards i have ever seen in my entire life... on top of that their memory is very specific, it is server quality, i have a mac and seen its full capabilities, its unlike any other computer i used.. they are the most reliable laptops i have ever had :-) i was never a mac fan, but once i got one for myself i changed my mind
Yah and when one of those parts fail you pay double that of what the part is worth and usually have to go directly through Apple. A pc part fails and its simple as just changing out the part with whatever you want.

Again.. these apple parts are overpriced for what they are and the only reason they are overpriced for is because they are specific parts so you pay a premium.
Old February 17, 2011, 03:51 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
I'd just like to say I think its cool that this is the only forum I've been on with mac/pc discussions that stay pretty polite and civil.

one more word poly and am gonna get that

pie in the fridge!!!! :p

but yeah, for what they do theyre overpriced. for the looks and that 'highly elevated
'im cool, i own a mac' status' it brings you?

maybe not.
Old February 17, 2011, 04:31 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Apple is not overpriced.. it all depends on the perspective you hold.. what you pay for with apple is the collaboration between software/os and hardware teams. the engineering communications is unlike any other companies today. with the collaboration of the two teams you get an initial quality better than that of even the best PC companies you can name.. not only that when you open up something like a macbook PRO you will see exactly the hardware expertise they are talking about. the mother board in a macbook pro 15" is the same size and one in a 10" netbook.. they are possibly the smallest motherboards i have ever seen in my entire life...
They definitely are very well engineered. There isn't an inch of wasted space in any of their computers. The Mac Pros are without a doubt the easiest computers to work on. Replacing/adding memory (and hard drives on some models) is also about as easy as it possibly could be.
Old February 17, 2011, 04:48 PM
MVP

Quote:
Apple is not overpriced.. it all depends on the perspective you hold.. what you pay for with apple is the collaboration between software/os and hardware teams. the engineering communications is unlike any other companies today. with the collaboration of the two teams you get an initial quality better than that of even the best PC companies you can name..
Alright, what are the benefits of this amazing synergy between hardware of software engineering? Do Macs take greater advantage of processor and chipset features? Do they achieve greater performance than Windows based machines on the same hardware?

Quote:
not only that when you open up something like a macbook PRO you will see exactly the hardware expertise they are talking about. the mother board in a macbook pro 15" is the same size and one in a 10" netbook.. they are possibly the smallest motherboards i have ever seen in my entire life...
Macs are indeed very good at being small. But a small motherboard equates to quality how? What tangible qualities make Apple motherboards better -- aside from size, and I'm sure they don't make the smallest personal computer motherboards. Do you even know for a fact that Apple designs its own motherboards?

Quote:
on top of that their memory is very specific, it is server quality,
So you're stating RAM found in Macs is of a higher quality than that found in consumer Windows PC's? Do you have a source for this?

Quote:
i have a mac and seen its full capabilities, its unlike any other computer i used..
Please share the details of your revelation. What are these amazing capabilities?

Quote:
they are the most reliable laptops i have ever had :-) i was never a mac fan, but once i got one for myself i changed my mind
That's great! And I mean that. I'm happy that you really like your Mac and it's been reliable for you. But I don't see anything objective to back up your feelings.

I truly believe in choice. Therefore, I think it's great that people whom enjoy using Macs have that choice. But in terms of hardware performance and reliability, Apple products are a very poor value. If footprint, appearance and MacOS are reason enough for you to pay 2-3 times more for slower hardware that's built by the same manufacturing partners using the same consumer grade components, fantastic! Just stop pretending it's somehow better hardware.

You pay more to fund Apple's massive marketing budget and large profit margins; not for better hardware.