Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > Mac

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #141 (permalink)  
Old February 16, 2011, 10:06 AM
enaberif's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgahree, AB
Posts: 10,679
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiato View Post
The disadvantage in the file system are typical of that in any linux environment. Linux doesn't need anything like a defrag as the file system is a lot smarter in organizing and placing data to the drive unlike windows.
Reply With Quote
  #142 (permalink)  
Old February 16, 2011, 10:09 AM
MrDiaz's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oakville, ON
Posts: 576

My System Specs

Default

Ok...but you do realize that EVERY manufacturer goes through this. Is just not Apple, they all have defects and not every model, batch or w/e you want to call it presents the same problems.

You simply cannot tell me Asus is better than Apple build quality wise, they are PLASTIC. Hot and heavy as hell. I'll stop right there, each to their own opinions.
__________________
-- Viva Canada! --
Reply With Quote
  #143 (permalink)  
Old February 16, 2011, 10:10 AM
Arinoth's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Halifax
Posts: 8,603

My System Specs

Default

Quality, this is something that is thrown around a lot with Macs and i for one can atest to when i was working at both best buy and working at RIM this summer that Macs die about just as often as any other manufacturer. If you compare directly PCs to Macs, yes PCs will have an overall higher failure rate as you are lumping in every single PC manufacturer then to Apple. If you compare say HP to Apple, or Asus to Apple their laptops start to have about the same amount of hardware failures on average. At a business stand point you typically have to hire/have trained and even run different software on Macs to make them compatible with a Windows/PC infrastructure, of which costs money.

Here is something i find rather amusing, that i'm surprised not more people pointed this out back in the day which is the fact that when apple was running computers with a powerPC system, that was actually an architecture and processors designed by IBM. Uh, so where is the apple design and uniqueness when they were getting hardware from their original hated competitor?
Reply With Quote
  #144 (permalink)  
Old February 16, 2011, 12:03 PM
MacJunky's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Creston, BC
Posts: 1,742

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Here is something i find rather amusing, that i'm surprised not more people pointed this out back in the day which is the fact that when apple was running computers with a powerPC system, that was actually an architecture and processors designed by IBM. Uh, so where is the apple design and uniqueness when they were getting hardware from their original hated competitor?
Steve was booted before it happened.. and after some point you just want to go fast. Also, as we moved along Intel became more of a "threat" than IBM as IBM moved to do other things.....Then apple jumped to Intel. :> hehe
AIM alliance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


Here is a burnt up PPC601 that someone tossed at me. It is a slow 80MHz one.. be careful with those 100&110 chips, Apple used TECs on those. :P
You can see the gel(or w/e) around the die having been burnt.

Reply With Quote
  #145 (permalink)  
Old February 16, 2011, 01:37 PM
SneakySnake's Avatar
MVP
F@H
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Waterloo
Posts: 296

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
Quality. Premium quality. I really don't think so. I think that's a well established myth. I'd take an Asus offering anyday.



I'm off to work right now so I'll just cut and paste.

There is your premium quality right there, especially the misaligned and unsealed cases. If you actually read into some of those problems you'll note that it started on Apple.com and moved elsewhere after Apple closed the thread. Can't have people complaining, right?

I'll say it again, go on Apple.com and find a thread longer than 3 pages and you'll have found an issue with Mac quality, or issues with the "ease of use" of Mac products.

I'm not saying Apple is garbage, I'm just saying it's no different than any other manufacturer. Replying and trying to point out problems with other manufacturers only proves my point....

Someone mentioned about Apple being on the top with customer satisfaction polls. Yes, I see that. However, after dealing with Apple users you find that to be a bit of an anomaly. One user happily told me his Macbook failed (and lost all his data) but he SMUGLY told me that he got a NEW one (using the extended warranty he paid for). I'm not quite sure why he was happy? The Asus laptop that I bought my gf came with a one year accidental damage warranty upon registration and also extended the warranty to 2 years, upon purchase. If the Asus laptop I bought failed I'd be still be pissed. Maybe I'm crazy?
I don't think anyone is disagreeing with you that macs fail, especially since I personally have had a few crap out on me. We are just saying that they use high level components. Those are completely different things. The IPS panel in my iMac has the same life expectancy as a TN panel, it just looks way better. By quality components we are talking high level components, not bomb proof components.

Just before new years, I got tackled on the sidewalk by my buddy, and rolled over a large chunk of concrete with my iPhone screen that was facing out in my pocket, and shattered it. I took it into the apple store and the guy asked "so other then breaking your phone, hows your year been?" I said pretty good, so he's like "we wouldn't want to ruin that, here's new phone", dropped my SIM into the new one and I was good to go. No questions, no warranty check, took about 2 minutes. Other companies do this as well (I hear dell has a great warranty system), but its still amazing service

They're highest in consumer satisfaction for a reason, its not like you can rig those numbers.

Now don't take what I'm saying as 'everyone should get a mac'. No, they shouldn't. Probably 90% of this site shouldn't get one. What I am saying is that 'mac's are great computers', and so is other brands, like Asus (I owned one for 2 years and had no problems with it). There is not singular 'great computer' brand, there's a bunch, and apple is one of them in my opinion. I defend them because I've owned many, and despite failures and recalls that have effected me on them, I always loved my computer. The hardcore tech world seems to love to hate them, for no reason other then because they hate Steve Jobs.

If you hate Steve Jobs, then hate him, I couldn't care less, I've hated lots of his decisions and business practices in the past. However that doesn't mean the actual apple computer is a piece of rubbish, I think it's quite a nice piece of equipment

Last edited by SneakySnake; February 16, 2011 at 01:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #146 (permalink)  
Old February 16, 2011, 03:00 PM
Polygon's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Vancouver
Posts: 957

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
I don't think anyone is disagreeing with you that macs fail, especially since I personally have had a few crap out on me. We are just saying that they use high level components. Those are completely different things. The IPS panel in my iMac has the same life expectancy as a TN panel, it just looks way better. By quality components we are talking high level components, not bomb proof components.
Now your comparing apples to oranges... the point WE are trying to make is that you can get similar products with the same high quality components - if not higher - from other companies at similar or often lower prices. Your comparing your IPS to a TN panel? You can buy IPS monitors for a PC too....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
They're highest in consumer satisfaction for a reason, its not like you can rig those numbers.
No, but we're implying that Mac users have already eaten up all of Steve Mobs brainwash commercials, and most mac users already have a predisposed, positive bias towards apple products. With PC's it's the complete opposite, everyone is highly critical and will nit pick to death.

I think it's likely that Macs customer service (yes I've heard its good) is more over rated than other services. As for extended warranties, all of them are pretty much the same no matter who you buy from.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
The hardcore tech world seems to love to hate them, for no reason other then because they hate Steve Jobs.If you hate Steve Jobs, then hate him, I couldn't care less, I've hated lots of his decisions and business practices in the past. However that doesn't mean the actual apple computer is a piece of rubbish, I think it's quite a nice piece of equipment
No one has even mentioned Steve Jobs on this thread? That's a different topic.
All we're saying is that people don't consider high quality PC brands to compare macs with, which is pretty damn unfair. Which is why it makes PC users facepalm when someone posts about macs being higher quality. Apple's computers are great to own though, just not my personal choice (as with most HWC'ers).
__________________
'Do not wish for easier lives, wish to be stronger men'
Reply With Quote
  #147 (permalink)  
Old February 16, 2011, 03:16 PM
MacJunky's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Creston, BC
Posts: 1,742

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
and most mac users already have a predisposed, positive bias towards apple products.
And most PC users have a predisposed positive bias toward whatever brand they like too. Both sides generally do not realize it.
Some have a predisposed positive bias toward honda and some have a positive bias toward a real car, like some old school muscle!

It happens with pretty much every single product in pretty much every area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
I think it's likely that Macs customer service
* Apple's customer service.
Mac/Macintosh is their product, Apple is the company.
You do not say "Aspire's/Pavilion's/Vaio's customer service" you say "Acer's/HP's/Sony's customer service"
Reply With Quote
  #148 (permalink)  
Old February 16, 2011, 09:04 PM
SneakySnake's Avatar
MVP
F@H
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Waterloo
Posts: 296

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
Now your comparing apples to oranges... the point WE are trying to make is that you can get similar products with the same high quality components - if not higher - from other companies at similar or often lower prices. Your comparing your IPS to a TN panel? You can buy IPS monitors for a PC too....
Why do you think that I said you can't get IPS panels for PC's? I own one for my gaming rig (and if you woulda read ahead a few posts you'll noticed I addressed the very thing we are talking about). And I'm not comparing two different products. I'm comparing macs with the high end computers, like you said I should be. At that price point apple often gets beat in raw horsepower, but the pc companies get beat in battery life, weight, aesthetics, resale value etc. Those are all things I value. Some people don't value them, so they shouldn't get a mac. All I'm really trying to say is that apples should be compared with high end PC's. Not the uber cheapo laptops, and custom homebuild rigs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
No, but we're implying that Mac users have already eaten up all of Steve Mobs brainwash commercials, and most mac users already have a predisposed, positive bias towards apple products. With PC's it's the complete opposite, everyone is highly critical and will nit pick to death.
I can tell from this thread that PC users nit pick everything to death. Your making blatant assumptions about how I seem to think that IPS panels are exclusive to mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
I think it's likely that Macs customer service (yes I've heard its good) is more over rated than other services. As for extended warranties, all of them are pretty much the same no matter who you buy from.
It's nice that you think that, I've experienced it personally and can say otherwise. It's in a league with the best customer service


Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
No one has even mentioned Steve Jobs on this thread? That's a different topic.
All we're saying is that people don't consider high quality PC brands to compare macs with, which is pretty damn unfair. Which is why it makes PC users facepalm when someone posts about macs being higher quality. Apple's computers are great to own though, just not my personal choice (as with most HWC'ers).
You mentioned him brainwashing people in your post, and I'm sure he's been mentioned elsewhere. What I was trying to get at is that a lot of PC users hate Steve Jobs, and the amount of totally arrogant apple fanboys that say their macbooks rape all. I agree with you, I cant stand those kind of people, but they aren't native to the mac crowd, look at the intel vs amd flame wars, or the nvidia vs ati, they are all the same fanboys when it comes to the idiotic things they say.

However, I very much agree with you. Mac's should be compared to the higher end PC's. I never said that mac's were higher quality computers, just that they are high quality ones. There are plenty of high end manufacturers out there. Apple happens to be one of them. It makes apple users facepalm when PC fanboys post about their gaming laptop that rapes that macbook pro specs wise, but is 5 lbs heavier, get about 8 hours less of battery, and is 2 inches thick. I've seen that comparison a lot. Same with Mac Pro's being compared to gaming computers and shown to be beaten, Mac Pros aren't gaming rigs. They are productivity rigs.

I'm just plain ranting right now, and have probably said some stupid things, so I apologize in advance. I'm not gonna post anymore in this thread because I feel like I'm just gonna keep getting more and more worked up, and start going back to my fanboy roots and just troll.
Reply With Quote
  #149 (permalink)  
Old February 16, 2011, 10:48 PM
Perineum's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Surrey, B.C.
Posts: 4,049

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDiaz View Post
Ok...but you do realize that EVERY manufacturer goes through this. Is just not Apple, they all have defects and not every model, batch or w/e you want to call it presents the same problems.

You simply cannot tell me Asus is better than Apple build quality wise, they are PLASTIC. Hot and heavy as hell. I'll stop right there, each to their own opinions.
WTF. Plastic has nothing to do with it. The Mac I have sitting on my kitchen table is plastic too. Not all laptops are hot, either. Depends what's in them now, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
However, I very much agree with you. Mac's should be compared to the higher end PC's. I never said that mac's were higher quality computers, just that they are high quality ones. There are plenty of high end manufacturers out there. Apple happens to be one of them. It makes apple users facepalm when PC fanboys post about their gaming laptop that rapes that macbook pro specs wise, but is 5 lbs heavier, get about 8 hours less of battery, and is 2 inches thick. I've seen that comparison a lot. Same with Mac Pro's being compared to gaming computers and shown to be beaten, Mac Pros aren't gaming rigs. They are productivity rigs.
Of course Macs should be compared to higher end PCs. It seems that for the most part Mac users only want to compare their Macs vs a $449 Dell or HP special though.

Although, as you say it does seem to go both ways. This gets me to my point....

When comparing very similar specced machines, the Apple is overpriced..... and quality on both the Mac and the PC is the SAME.

That is the only point I'm making and the point of this whole thread.
Reply With Quote
  #150 (permalink)  
Old February 16, 2011, 10:51 PM
enaberif's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgahree, AB
Posts: 10,679
Default

How can you compare a mac to a high end pc? Half the time the hardware in a mac is that of a low end pc at best! Unless you really dish out the money and buy the top of the line stuff.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Macs at McMaster University netforce Off Topic 45 April 10, 2009 03:50 PM