Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > Mac

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 15, 2011, 11:08 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
Relax, I didn't see a part of my post where I said apple computers were invincible. I said they have a high build quality, referring to what I said in my post (best batteries, thinness of laptops, lightweight comps, IPS panels on the iMacs, etc.).
This is silly. In front of me as I type this is a Dell IPS panel and a Thinkpad with an IPS panel. The last Macbooks I saw had TN panels; I think that's normal? I believe iMac IPS panels had considerable issues at launch.

How can it be better quality hardware when almost all of it is assembled in the same factories using the same components?

For me, the main difference is choice - with Apple, I'd have less; in addition to less money and less computational power.

My belief is that Steve Jobs applied his experience in the entertainment industry with Pixar to personal computing which resulted in the "lickable" iProducts and iTunes. To me, the phenomena of Apple is its marketing, not its technology.
Old February 15, 2011, 01:21 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Never said that IPS was exclusive to macs mate, just that it's a high quality component.

You can pick apart all my posts probably, I'm just trying to say that macs arent in the budget range of computers, so comparing them price wise to them is ridiculous
Old February 15, 2011, 01:29 PM
Banned
F@H

well the thing with macs is its like communism, you got no choice lol.

but you can still try to overthrow the 'communist tools' by putting linux on it,

but then again you just shot yourself in the foot. do i own a mac product? maybe :p

do i need to spend that much to have what it offers? hell no. id be completely tarded to have

bought the thing for what it does vs price vs competition. does it look good? yes. did i buy it for the

looks? most probably.
Old February 15, 2011, 07:24 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post

Intrusion attempts doesn't really mean much, depends on the software you use. Lots of antivirus software out there love to give false positives. It lulls the user into thinking the software is really good. When you really analyze what's going on you'll see that TROJAN.GEN.A is simply a tracking cookie.

OMG WHEEE!

Or whatever... still.

Macs have been targeted at users that are not smart enough to "make it" in the PC world and are constantly frustrated and routinely get "fleeced".

Look at any Mac commercial, that's exactly who they are marketing to. Every statement on those ads is pretty much false, yet people eat it up. Well, certain people do, anyway.

That being said, the guys that buy the Macs because they honestly like them and have always used Macs are the guys who I have a lot of respect for. These guys have seen Mac's go from 680x0 to PPC and now to Intel. I'm sure most of the new Mac fan base piss these guys off too....

Macs are not "easy to use". You try explaining to my mother about mounting .dmg files and what going on, etc. The concepts are just as difficult as anything on the PC.
I do analyze all attempts. I'm not some stupid LG that doesn't know what she's talking about.
If you want, I could go over to your mothers, and show her exactly how to mount .dmg files. And explain it to her in a way that she can actually understand it, so that she can do it herself.

But, I think you're just going to counteract every single thing I say, so you feel like you're superior. So have a great day.
Old February 15, 2011, 11:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageturtletechie View Post
If you want, I could go over to your mothers, and show her exactly how to mount .dmg files. And explain it to her in a way that she can actually understand it, so that she can do it herself.
Sure, you could. But you shouldn't have to, right? MacOS "just works" and it's so easy.

Truth is, the concepts that make up the latest iteration of Mac OS X is just as hard to understand as any other OS out there.

If Mac was so easy then DiskWarrior wouldn't have been made. But here I am, over the weekend rebuilding a directory for a Mac.... something the user couldn't have done themselves. Why is that?

Old February 15, 2011, 11:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Because absolutely no file system or OS ever made or that ever will be made is without flaw.

I do kinda wonder why companies no longer include much in the way of documentation on how to do basic things with their computer anymore. Back in the 80s and early 90s they did, not everyone had computer experience. Nowadays we still have the problem of people being morons and not knowing how to do basic things.

Last edited by MacJunky; February 15, 2011 at 11:43 PM.
Old February 16, 2011, 07:12 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJunky View Post
Because absolutely no file system or OS ever made or that ever will be made is without flaw.

I do kinda wonder why companies no longer include much in the way of documentation on how to do basic things with their computer anymore. Back in the 80s and early 90s they did, not everyone had computer experience. Nowadays we still have the problem of people being morons and not knowing how to do basic things.
What flaw is there in the ext3 or ext4 filesystem?
Old February 16, 2011, 07:46 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I'll give my 2 cents I guess, try to keep it as short as possible and possibly giving different scenarios

Fact: MacBooks ARE overpriced. They are the most expensive laptops in the market and looking at the hardware they are not at the top performance wise

Additional Comments: Despite the fact that they are the most expensive pieces of hardware around, they are also the ones with the BEST build quality all around. The closest thing to MacBooks are the HP Envys, and those are still not quite there yet. The touch pad is the best thing out there, it truly is magnificent. You do get to enjoy using a Mac. The OS is very different from Windows so if you are switching it might be a bit of a challenge to get the hang of it, but after a while it pays off. The one thing I hate about Macs is the fact that they do not have Cut ability for folders, and this is really freaking annoying, I had to download a third party app to do this.

Uses:

1 - Do you play games? Don't get a Mac
2 - Do you develop iPhone applications? You NEED a Mac
3 - Do you enjoy premium quality products? Get a Mac
4 - Can you afford the laptop? Well then get a Mac!
5 - Is it absolutely necessary? This is an obvious no

And to be completely honest, from a price/performance point of view I cannot recommend a MacBook. We can only hope with the new March release they get lowered in price significantly. You can't simply justify a 15" laptop costing $2000. It is simply, one word, INSANE.
Old February 16, 2011, 07:49 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
What flaw is there in the ext3 or ext4 filesystem?
ext3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old February 16, 2011, 08:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDiaz View Post
Additional Comments: Despite the fact that they are the most expensive pieces of hardware around, they are also the ones with the BEST build quality all around.

3 - Do you enjoy premium quality products? Get a Mac
Quality. Premium quality. I really don't think so. I think that's a well established myth. I'd take an Asus offering anyday.

Quote:
1 Apple MacBook
I'm off to work right now so I'll just cut and paste.

There is your premium quality right there, especially the misaligned and unsealed cases. If you actually read into some of those problems you'll note that it started on Apple.com and moved elsewhere after Apple closed the thread. Can't have people complaining, right?

I'll say it again, go on Apple.com and find a thread longer than 3 pages and you'll have found an issue with Mac quality, or issues with the "ease of use" of Mac products.

I'm not saying Apple is garbage, I'm just saying it's no different than any other manufacturer. Replying and trying to point out problems with other manufacturers only proves my point....

Someone mentioned about Apple being on the top with customer satisfaction polls. Yes, I see that. However, after dealing with Apple users you find that to be a bit of an anomaly. One user happily told me his Macbook failed (and lost all his data) but he SMUGLY told me that he got a NEW one (using the extended warranty he paid for). I'm not quite sure why he was happy? The Asus laptop that I bought my gf came with a one year accidental damage warranty upon registration and also extended the warranty to 2 years, upon purchase. If the Asus laptop I bought failed I'd be still be pissed. Maybe I'm crazy?