Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > Mac

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #121 (permalink)  
Old February 14, 2011, 07:30 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
While I'm no professional in photography, digital arts, webdesign, or video editing I have dabbled in these fields, and I also know many friends in these fields. Most are actually PC users, a minority are mac users. Both systems work pretty much equal (depending on how you look at it) for "artistic" stuff. With the exception of final cut pro on mac only; but then again I myself have used it and IMO it is just overated because apple users probably want something to brag about There are many alternatives.

I have no idea where this "macs are better for artsy stuff" propaganda came from... probably because most mac users are relentless hipsters

I do photography, and basically anything art related, and I too just use my PC's (plus I don't have a mac) But there are many other reasons as to why I prefer Macs
Reply With Quote
  #122 (permalink)  
Old February 14, 2011, 11:35 PM
Perineum's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Surrey, B.C.
Posts: 4,048

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageturtletechie View Post
Although I've never actually owned a Mac, I've fooled around with my friends Mac Books, and I definitely want one. I've actually always wanted one. Even though they are expensive, it's well worth the money. There are virtually no virus' with macs, and they're more pointed towards art design, or professional people. And it also depends on what you want to do with your computer.
No, it's not worth the money. You're overpaying for the same hardware. However if you WANT to anyway, then feel free.

Saying that the Mac is better because it doesn't get much in the way of viruses is probably one of the stupidest thing I've ever heard. My Vic 20 is obviously much superior to your Mac due to it's absolute lack of viruses!

Viruses on PCs are not the issue. The USERS using that PC *is*.

No. That .exe is not REALLY not a picture of ________ naked.

No. It's not ideal to have 9 toolbars.

Saying that a Mac is made for professionals makes you sound like a fanboi.
Reply With Quote
  #123 (permalink)  
Old February 15, 2011, 12:15 AM
Polygon's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Vancouver
Posts: 957

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
No, it's not worth the money. You're overpaying for the same hardware. However if you WANT to anyway, then feel free.

Saying that the Mac is better because it doesn't get much in the way of viruses is probably one of the stupidest thing I've ever heard. My Vic 20 is obviously much superior to your Mac due to it's absolute lack of viruses!

Viruses on PCs are not the issue. The USERS using that PC *is*.

No. That .exe is not REALLY not a picture of ________ naked.

No. It's not ideal to have 9 toolbars.

Saying that a Mac is made for professionals makes you sound like a fanboi.

"common sense is the best anti-virus"
is what I live by.

I've been running the same windows 7 OS drive for about 1.5 years (and xp for 3 years at most before it got cluttered) and I haven't had any anti-virus service or firewall, except for nod32 to scan my flash drive when I connect to other computers and web of trust on my browser. Haven't got a single virus.

Only careless, or very unlucky window users get viruses. Also most windows users are non-tech savy morons. Macs are just "idiot proof" in a way, because even if you download some "cute-girl-on-webcam.exe" (37kb) it won't run. But, if you have even moderate experience below your belt viruses shouldn't even be a concern for most people if your running windows. That has ALWAYS been the case in my personal experiences as a windows user.

Yes, I HAVE got a virus before, but that was my own fault. The other time it was my friend sending me a worm
__________________
'Do not wish for easier lives, wish to be stronger men'
Reply With Quote
  #124 (permalink)  
Old February 15, 2011, 01:34 AM
SneakySnake's Avatar
MVP
F@H
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Waterloo
Posts: 296

My System Specs

Default

In general I would say that they aren't over priced, there are exceptions though.

Your paying for a computer with a very high build quality. Yes if you look at it from a pure horsepower perspective you can outdo them pretty easily for the same dollar, but they have a lot more going for the them other then hardware. In the case of laptops, you get the best battery life in the industry, with one of the best warranties, and in a very thin and lightweight package compared to other laptops of similar specs. Your laptop is also aluminum vs plastic.

In the case of iMacs your getting a gorgeous IPS panel display.

Mac Pro's aren't overpriced if you look at competing offerings from other OEM companies. They are overpriced compared to building your own PC.

Macbook Air's and Mac Mini's are in their own genre of computers so you can't really say they are overpriced because they are aimed at very specific markets. The Mac Mini is smaller then most wireless routers, but it'll still play SC2 at medium settings, there's something to be said for that.

So from a purely horsepower standpoint you get better value elsewhere, but they have a lot of other perks with them. I've owned macs my entire life, and their high price is also offset by the fact that you can sell them in 2 years for 70% of what you paid for it
Reply With Quote
  #125 (permalink)  
Old February 15, 2011, 09:32 AM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
No, it's not worth the money. You're overpaying for the same hardware. However if you WANT to anyway, then feel free.

Saying that the Mac is better because it doesn't get much in the way of viruses is probably one of the stupidest thing I've ever heard. My Vic 20 is obviously much superior to your Mac due to it's absolute lack of viruses!

Viruses on PCs are not the issue. The USERS using that PC *is*.

No. That .exe is not REALLY not a picture of ________ naked.

No. It's not ideal to have 9 toolbars.

Saying that a Mac is made for professionals makes you sound like a fanboi.

I obviously didn't put that right, I wasn't saying that they are actually made for professionals, more rather the marketing is towards them. I've owned PC's my entire life, I don't download toolbars, I try my best not to go to 3rd party sites, and I definitely watch what I download, but that doesn't matter because I've still had intrusion attempts on my computer. Although they never really stood a chance. BUT I have to agree that there are some people who do the things that you have listed.

Mind you, I'm not a fangirl, it was simply my point of view.
Reply With Quote
  #126 (permalink)  
Old February 15, 2011, 10:01 AM
Perineum's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Surrey, B.C.
Posts: 4,048

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
In general I would say that they aren't over priced, there are exceptions though.

Your paying for a computer with a very high build quality. Yes if you look at it from a pure horsepower perspective you can outdo them pretty easily for the same dollar, but they have a lot more going for the them other then hardware. In the case of laptops, you get the best battery life in the industry, with one of the best warranties, and in a very thin and lightweight package compared to other laptops of similar specs. Your laptop is also aluminum vs plastic.
Don't give me that build quality crap. They fail left right and center, just like any other computer. Go look on the Apple forums on any thread that is longer than 3 pages and you'll see rampant failures and class action lawsuits to MAKE Apple support their own product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
I've owned macs my entire life, and their high price is also offset by the fact that you can sell them in 2 years for 70% of what you paid for it
Sure. But again, my Amiga holds it's value more than your Mac does. So does that make it better? I don't buy something with the idea of flipping it. I buy it to use it.... and while you might get more for it when you *do* sell, you've already paid more for it new, so how is that all that great?


Quote:
Originally Posted by rageturtletechie View Post
I obviously didn't put that right, I wasn't saying that they are actually made for professionals, more rather the marketing is towards them. I've owned PC's my entire life, I don't download toolbars, I try my best not to go to 3rd party sites, and I definitely watch what I download, but that doesn't matter because I've still had intrusion attempts on my computer. Although they never really stood a chance. BUT I have to agree that there are some people who do the things that you have listed.

Mind you, I'm not a fangirl, it was simply my point of view.
Intrusion attempts doesn't really mean much, depends on the software you use. Lots of antivirus software out there love to give false positives. It lulls the user into thinking the software is really good. When you really analyze what's going on you'll see that TROJAN.GEN.A is simply a tracking cookie.

OMG WHEEE!

Or whatever... still.

Macs have been targeted at users that are not smart enough to "make it" in the PC world and are constantly frustrated and routinely get "fleeced".

Look at any Mac commercial, that's exactly who they are marketing to. Every statement on those ads is pretty much false, yet people eat it up. Well, certain people do, anyway.

That being said, the guys that buy the Macs because they honestly like them and have always used Macs are the guys who I have a lot of respect for. These guys have seen Mac's go from 680x0 to PPC and now to Intel. I'm sure most of the new Mac fan base piss these guys off too....

Macs are not "easy to use". You try explaining to my mother about mounting .dmg files and what going on, etc. The concepts are just as difficult as anything on the PC.
Reply With Quote
  #127 (permalink)  
Old February 15, 2011, 11:14 AM
gingerbee's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orillia, Ontario
Posts: 6,827

My System Specs

Default

my point was that your say part are not easily change over from pc to pc well that is in fact very wrong cause ( laptops and netbooks are the differance ) almost all parts are very interchangeable and remember that apply are just branded pc's that all
__________________
Fav quote "One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret." Ronin Harris
Reply With Quote
  #128 (permalink)  
Old February 15, 2011, 11:26 AM
SneakySnake's Avatar
MVP
F@H
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Waterloo
Posts: 296

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
Don't give me that build quality crap. They fail left right and center, just like any other computer. Go look on the Apple forums on any thread that is longer than 3 pages and you'll see rampant failures and class action lawsuits to MAKE Apple support their own product.
Relax, I didn't see a part of my post where I said apple computers were invincible. I said they have a high build quality, referring to what I said in my post (best batteries, thinness of laptops, lightweight comps, IPS panels on the iMacs, etc.). And apple has one of the best warranties in the industry, I'm sure there are lots of people suing them, but they don't need to. They also have one of the highest consumer satisfaction scores (I hate bringing that point out, but it is true). I don't want to sound like a fanboy, I'm simply saying that a mac is a quality, well rounded computer, that is higher in quality then the average laptop, they are in the high range laptop league.

They will fail, they will break, some people will lose all their data on their mac, but it doesn't mean that the line itself isn't a high quality line


Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
Sure. But again, my Amiga holds it's value more than your Mac does. So does that make it better? I don't buy something with the idea of flipping it. I buy it to use it.... and while you might get more for it when you *do* sell, you've already paid more for it new, so how is that all that great?
.
It doesn't make it better, it just makes it not as big of an investment. I get a new computer roughly every 2 years. So when I want a new one I sell my old macbook that I bought for a $1000 for $700, and have 700 more to use towards a new laptop. It's pretty obvious why thats a good thing.

I'm not trying to offend you, I'm just saying that there are positives about macs, just like there are positives about pretty much every computer. They aren't for gamers, cuz they plain suck at gaming. They are meant to go for the average person, and the average person will appreciate a lightweight, thin laptop, with 10 hours of battery more then they will appreciate faster speed. The average person will appreciate having an IPS panel display that they will use 100% of the time they use that computer, more then they will appreciate a top end GPU that they will use 15% of the time they are on the computer.

For the power users, like many on this sight, they will need all the power they can get, so a mac would not be a good idea for them. They are very happy to sacrifice some portablity and battery for faster loads, better boot times, and better framerates. That is the main consideration they use when buying a computer. Therefore they don't want to pay a premium for features they will not use, so they will not get a mac

I'm not saying everyone should by apple and bow before our Lord and Father, Steve Jobs. I disagree with a lot of apple's business practices. However, I believe that they make a high quality laptop.
Reply With Quote
  #129 (permalink)  
Old February 15, 2011, 11:34 AM
Eldonko's Avatar
Hardware Canucks Reviewer
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 5,445
Default





__________________
Donkeys kill more people annually than plane crashes or shark attacks.
Reply With Quote
  #130 (permalink)  
Old February 15, 2011, 11:41 AM
MacJunky's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Creston, BC
Posts: 1,732

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
These guys have seen Mac's go from 680x0 to PPC and now to Intel. I'm sure most of the new Mac fan base piss these guys off too....
I like some of the 680x0 and PPC models.. Not so much the intel ones though. I like the idea of a Unixy OS and I like using Mac OS X.. but I like having my self-assembled PC too.. and games..and stuff.
If Windows had Linux/Unix underpinnings I would be all "OMG! YES!! YUMYUMYUMM OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNNOM" Per, I would eat that OS up faster than zero can eat your mom. ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
Macs are not "easy to use". You try explaining to my mother about mounting .dmg files and what going on, etc. The concepts are just as difficult as anything on the PC.
.dmg files are seemingly hard for people to understand for some reason. Yet disk images have been used on Macs for normal software for the past 15-20 years or however long it has been! 'Slike, what the hell people? Get with the program already!

Last edited by MacJunky; February 15, 2011 at 11:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Macs at McMaster University netforce Off Topic 45 April 10, 2009 03:50 PM