Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > Mac

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 8, 2010, 09:52 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
Microsoft announced they would use HTML5, not that they would stop using flash. Unless I missed something.
They will only support H.264 for video tags.

Edit: Quick questions to posters in this thread (and I am not being cheeky, so please, be kind): How many of you own an Apple product, and will ultimately suffer from this decision from Apple?

I use my iPhone everyday, and have not been let down by the lack of Flash support since its purchase, but I appreciate your concerns

Last edited by Synth; May 8, 2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old May 8, 2010, 11:32 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I've owned many Apple products over the years. Would I own a iphone....nope. Would I own a first get ipad....nope. Was I very interested in the ipad when it was just a rumor and then disappointed by it when it landed....yup. Is there bigger concerns involved then just apple...yup. It sets a very dangerous precedence and without apple putting pressure on the MS we will all be screwed. I say that as if Apple continues down this road, they will move further and further away from innovating and finally put the last nail in the company the wizard of woz built (and Stevy wonderboy stole). I remember when Apple were renowned for their engineering and cutting edge tech. Now they are known more for their shite business practices, marketing and snotty elitist sheeple. I really can see a day when OSX dies and is replaced by a gloried ipod "OS". Prolly why the ipad was created as it is a test run to see how people like the "new" and "innovative" interface. And when THAT happens we are all screwed as *nix is a far, far way off from being ready for prime-time, let alone putting real pressure on MS. I would love to see a marketplace where there was real competition like there used to be back in the DOS days (MS DOS, DR-DOS, PC DOS and couple others slugging it out) and this is just the first shot in a long war....a war which consumers and enthusiast will lose to greed and corporations. No competition == no advancement.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 8, 2010, 12:03 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
Flash being great? You got to be kidding me. It's one of the worst closed pos laying around...
We'll then I'm 10000% sure you have NEVER used Flash in your life to develop something. Because it is a great app/platform. The platform could use some tweaking though.

Last edited by Polygon; May 8, 2010 at 12:15 PM.
Old May 8, 2010, 12:34 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
I've owned many Apple products over the years. Would I own a iphone....nope. Would I own a first get ipad....nope. Was I very interested in the ipad when it was just a rumor and then disappointed by it when it landed....yup. Is there bigger concerns involved then just apple...yup. It sets a very dangerous precedence and without apple putting pressure on the MS we will all be screwed. I say that as if Apple continues down this road, they will move further and further away from innovating and finally put the last nail in the company the wizard of woz built (and Stevy wonderboy stole). I remember when Apple were renowned for their engineering and cutting edge tech. Now they are known more for their shite business practices, marketing and snotty elitist sheeple. I really can see a day when OSX dies and is replaced by a gloried ipod "OS". Prolly why the ipad was created as it is a test run to see how people like the "new" and "innovative" interface. And when THAT happens we are all screwed as *nix is a far, far way off from being ready for prime-time, let alone putting real pressure on MS. I would love to see a marketplace where there was real competition like there used to be back in the DOS days (MS DOS, DR-DOS, PC DOS and couple others slugging it out) and this is just the first shot in a long war....a war which consumers and enthusiast will lose to greed and corporations. No competition == no advancement.
But Apple only has 5% of the desktop market - so its downfall, in my mind, would not be that catastrophic to customers.

And in the mobile arena, Motorola (having just bought a mobile OS company - strangely enough, even if they are in bed with Google), Microsoft and Google more than make worthy competitors.

I guess what I'm trying to say, ultimately, is that Steve Jobs is a calculated man that he probably has a good understanding, or at least, insight, into the trends and standards of tomorrow. I would be puzzled as to why he would go out of his way to purposely destroy his company.

And please don't judge Apple customers, calling them sheeple: take a look at my sig, see the platforms I use. They ALL serve their purpose, and where acquired for very specific purposes. It does not make me a sheeple.

And guys, I like the way THIS thread is going - let's keep it clean and open

Old May 8, 2010, 02:37 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Open source =/= open. You still can't properly/legally install OSX on a PC.
I agree on the fact that it's not 'open', but still it's not entirely closed like a big fat proprietary system.

Quote:
Flash is an open platform, I don't think you even NEED to use Adobe's tools..... there is no licensing fee, like H.264
If you are talking about the IP* series, yes, if you are talking about OSX generally; not at all.

Quote:
Microsoft announced they would use HTML5, not that they would stop using flash. Unless I missed something.
Still they know that flash is going nowhere, especially with Adobe. HTML5 has a lot of potential and just wait until the big companies (MS, Apple, Google, etc) put some effort together and develop it 'professionally'. It will kick flash in the nuts and big time.
Old May 8, 2010, 03:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth View Post
They will only support H.264 for video tags.

Edit: Quick questions to posters in this thread (and I am not being cheeky, so please, be kind): How many of you own an Apple product, and will ultimately suffer from this decision from Apple?

I use my iPhone everyday, and have not been let down by the lack of Flash support since its purchase, but I appreciate your concerns

Well I have an iphone and I can tell you I notice the lack of flash all the time on it. Hell I would love to be able to watch the highlights from the hockey game but nope, flash. And this is on the TSN and CBC web pages. There have been countless other ones as well, really to the point that I don't use it to surf the web unless I absolutely have to, it is just to damn frustrating.

The thing is I would not have an iphone if it was not paid for by my work. And one thing I have learned is how "closed" of a system Apple has. Come on now they won't even let you convert your flash program to something compatible with the iphone.

As it was said before this is strictly a method of control to help fuel their greed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth View Post
And please don't judge Apple customers, calling them sheeple: take a look at my sig, see the platforms I use. They ALL serve their purpose, and where acquired for very specific purposes. It does not make me a sheeple.
As a whole they are sheeple. Not every single one, but the majority. Look you can tell when they darn near treat Jobs as if he is a god of some sort. Add to that how so many people buy Apple products solely because they are Apple products, not because they are good products. So like I said not every single Apple user is a sheeple but the vast majority are.

Apple Introduces Revolutionary New Laptop With No Keyboard | The Onion - America's Finest News Source | Onion News Network

Look lets face it, even if this story was true people would still line up for it just because it is Apple.

Last edited by ipaine; May 8, 2010 at 03:33 PM.
Old May 8, 2010, 08:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Still they know that flash is going nowhere, especially with Adobe. HTML5 has a lot of potential and just wait until the big companies (MS, Apple, Google, etc) put some effort together and develop it 'professionally'. It will kick flash in the nuts and big time.
HTML5 will never take Flash over in games. Think of every game you play on the web - how many are flash? There are hundreds of sites devoted to flash games. HTML5 is still unproven for games and even if it were a HUGE success it would take years to work the web off Flash games.
Old May 8, 2010, 08:28 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
HTML5 will never take Flash over in games. Think of every game you play on the web - how many are flash? There are hundreds of sites devoted to flash games. HTML5 is still unproven for games and even if it were a HUGE success it would take years to work the web off Flash games.
Yup. Developer wise, Flash dominates 90% of all 2D and 3D web based games built. Not to mention Flash movies. There is little competition. HTML works good for videos maybe, but that's about it. Maybe HTML5 can be used as a platform to show Flash developed content somehow (I doubt it though or they'd get sued), so I don't think Flash will be going anywhere anytime soon.

It seems to me all the people who are for HTML5 don't actually understand how Flash works.

Imagine how much Photoshop dominates the market of photo editing and how pretty much anyone who edits photos uses Photoshop. Now imagine how foolish it would be to say that Photoshop is going to get kicked in the nuts by some other platform that is still in baby stages and that we don't even know much about or how it will work. As you should see by now, it's not a very smart comment to be making.

Last edited by Polygon; May 8, 2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old May 8, 2010, 09:14 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
quake2-gwt-port - Project Hosting on Google Code

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpolyz View Post
Yup. Developer wise, Flash dominates 90% of all 2D and 3D web based games built. Not to mention Flash movies. There is little competition. HTML works good for videos maybe, but that's about it. Maybe HTML5 can be used as a platform to show Flash developed content somehow (I doubt it though or they'd get sued), so I don't think Flash will be going anywhere anytime soon.

It seems to me all the people who are for HTML5 don't actually understand how Flash works.

Imagine how much Photoshop dominates the market of photo editing and how pretty much anyone who edits photos uses Photoshop. Now imagine how foolish it would be to say that Photoshop is going to get kicked in the nuts by some other platform that is still in baby stages and that we don't even know much about or how it will work. As you should see by now, it's not a very smart comment to be making.
I will stick with my idea that when all the bigger companies will put effort in common to develop and improve HTML5 its potential will be very high. And -if- they decide to really push it, well simply forget about flash.
Old May 8, 2010, 10:02 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
quake2-gwt-port - Project Hosting on Google Code

I will stick with my idea that when all the bigger companies will put effort in common to develop and improve HTML5 its potential will be very high. And -if- they decide to really push it, well simply forget about flash.
Meh, to me it looks mostly like Apple doesn't want Flash because it doesn't run well on their platforms, so they are trying to find alternatives rather than try fixing the problem. Just standard douchebaggery on Apples part. Doubt it will ever replace Flash though. For the average user we will never need to replace Flash for something that currently is 100 times worse, and developers really like Flash, so it would be hard to make them flock to another system which I'm not entirely sure how it works - if it works well or not - just because of some whiny Apple users.