Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > Mac

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 2, 2010, 12:19 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Just curious here - why was a thread titled "hehe..." posted by a "Mac Person" about the cancellation of the Microsoft Courier posted in the Mac Forum and now has gone completely off topic for several pages not been locked or moved.

And for the record, I thought the courrier had some great new ideas. Sure, it wasn't focused on the mainstream but it had it's purposes.
Old May 2, 2010, 08:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This is a very interesting thread. I have learned more about mac in this thread than I have in the last year. I'm curious in regards to virus issues. The most common comment I hear from mac users is that there is a very low infection rate. I have heard this from both mac and pc techs and users. One of the main reasons is that most people that write malicious code can't be bothered because of the small mac user base compared to windows. Is there any truth to this? It does make sense to me.

Most of my friends that own either a macbook or desktop are either dj's, doing graphic design or some sort of video editing. I now kind of see what this "niche" market is all about.
Just as a sidenote, I'm not into mobile computing. I have never owned a laptop of any kind or even have a data plan on my phone. I don't see my self purchasing either in the forseeable future even though they're well within my means. I use computer systems at work for maglocks, lighting, HVAC and deep lake water cooling and have a computer at home. By the time my work is done I just want to get home, relax by killing bad guys and blowing s**t up before I head outside for drinks and conversations with people that don't include lol, rofl, or wtf.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old May 2, 2010, 10:24 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo' power View Post
One of the main reasons is that most people that write malicious code can't be bothered because of the small mac user base compared to windows. Is there any truth to this? It does make sense to me.
It wouldn't surprise me if there is some truth to that. What's the point of spending hours writing malicious code if you only get 100 people instead of 20,000? It would be the hacker equivalent of switching someone's keyboard to Dvorak and going "SHAZAM I GOTZ YA NOOBSAUCE!"

On a side note, I've been keeping up with some of the stuff in regards to the Macbook Pro refresh and apparently it has some decent (Not fantastic of course, but respectable) gaming performance using Bootcamp, at least for the types of things that I personally play - I've found a few benchmarks that have BC2 running in the 50FPS area which if you ask me is damn respectable for a notebook that isn't exactly geared towards gaming in the first place. Worth the extra $$? That's up to the user, some will buy them, some will not. Either way the damn Mac vs PC war will rage for a long time.
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old May 2, 2010, 10:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well if you were a hacker and wanted to steal as many credit card numbers for example. Would you spend your time to wright something that could possibly get a few million or ten thousand? Even if you only get 0.1% that is still a huge number of PC's.

Right now you have to physically want to get infected to infect your Mac. So yes they don't get viruses is true. Make no mistake they will get them as they grow. NOTHING is not hackable. Mac has been hacked and if it wasn't hackable every government in the world would be on Mac.

Also in PC land if you get infected it is your fault as you have to click on something or accept something like a fake virus scan or fake flash update in order to get infected. Also the vast majority of viruses are written when microsoft releases a security update and that gives away a security hole to people who don't update their system. So stay up to date, be careful of what you visit, be careful of what you install, and you will avoid a lot/all viruses.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old May 2, 2010, 01:06 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

The best anti virus is common sense. Lived by that statement for years.

Haven't used a firewall or anti-virus program, with the exception of Nod32 which will detect stuff I get on my USB drive when I plug them into my friends computers which have worms sometimes and then plug them into my computer. If you use a PC and are smart about the way you do business it's highly unlikely for a virus or worm to sneak by. There are exceptions, but strong common sense tends to be the biggest help.
Old May 2, 2010, 01:38 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpolyz View Post
Just curious here - why was a thread titled "hehe..." posted by a "Mac Person" about the cancellation of the Microsoft Courier posted in the Mac Forum and now has gone completely off topic for several pages not been locked or moved.

And for the record, I thought the courrier had some great new ideas. Sure, it wasn't focused on the mainstream but it had it's purposes.
I'll let part of the post under you be the answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo' power View Post
This is a very interesting thread. I have learned more about mac in this thread than I have in the last year. I'm curious in regards to virus issues. The most common comment I hear from mac users is that there is a very low infection rate. I have heard this from both mac and pc techs and users. One of the main reasons is that most people that write malicious code can't be bothered because of the small mac user base compared to windows. Is there any truth to this? It does make sense to me.
And to answer your mo', there's a few big reason behind why OSX as so few virus and rootkits and having the smaller marketshare NOT being the only one:

As I said in a post above, about all the binaries ran on OSX have a signature and all the biggest rootkits and virus that Apple encounters for its platform are simply denied to run at the kernel level. So it's -the- best and most effective kind of 'anti-virus' procedure you can have. Other than that the fact that the market is smaller than windows most people that pays programmers to develop virus and scam software are way more tempted to go on the windows platform because it's simply larger (it's common sense)... and most of them are just cheap .NET crap made by people outside our continents. I'm not condescending to them, I just find that funny.
Another thing that prevents virus spread and makers from doing big business in the OSX world is tied to the first reason: Constant security patch whenever there's trouble (brewing) and also that OSX dev teams, even if smaller than their MS counter parts, are actually competent at what they do so the OS itself is pretty secure even though if some of it's apps need to be rethought more on a security level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neolithium_Wpg View Post
It would be the hacker equivalent of switching someone's keyboard to Dvorak and going "SHAZAM I GOTZ YA NOOBSAUCE!"
That was a shot directly aimed at me neo or what? And yes Dvorak > ye olde hand wrecking QWERTY ;)
It's about the best hardware change I have done with my computers

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
Well if you were a hacker and wanted to steal as many credit card numbers for example. Would you spend your time to wright something that could possibly get a few million or ten thousand? Even if you only get 0.1% that is still a huge number of PC's.

Right now you have to physically want to get infected to infect your Mac. So yes they don't get viruses is true. Make no mistake they will get them as they grow. NOTHING is not hackable. Mac has been hacked and if it wasn't hackable every government in the world would be on Mac.

Also in PC land if you get infected it is your fault as you have to click on something or accept something like a fake virus scan or fake flash update in order to get infected. Also the vast majority of viruses are written when microsoft releases a security update and that gives away a security hole to people who don't update their system. So stay up to date, be careful of what you visit, be careful of what you install, and you will avoid a lot/all viruses.
/me thinks that you have to close the "network sharing" daemon running on your Mac before thinking about anything else like that.

Well for the govt, all the bigger (non security retarded parts) are using some kind of unix for their infrastructure. Not OSX I'm pretty sure since it's not really business oriented but I'm pretty sure that some puff fishes are running and guarding their butts around there
Old May 2, 2010, 03:26 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
That was a shot directly aimed at me neo or what? And yes Dvorak > ye olde hand wrecking QWERTY ;)
It's about the best hardware change I have done with my computers
No, it wasn't. I actually have a Dvorak keyboard at home - however I'm pretty sure if I go to buy a new Macbook they're gonna go "Uh....no" to switching the layout - and on top of that, the Cdn Government uses QWERTY, so the last thing I want to do is have multiple layouts that would in the end just piss me right off
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old May 2, 2010, 04:14 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neolithium_Wpg View Post
No, it wasn't. I actually have a Dvorak keyboard at home - however I'm pretty sure if I go to buy a new Macbook they're gonna go "Uh....no" to switching the layout - and on top of that, the Cdn Government uses QWERTY, so the last thing I want to do is have multiple layouts that would in the end just piss me right off
I already asked them and it's possible to switch the keyboard to Dvorak on order. Though I was assured that I would have been the first one to ask them to do so at the Apple store I went

Hipsters don't like Dvorak. /me takes notes