Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > Mac

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41 (permalink)  
Old April 30, 2010, 04:49 PM
H2O H2O is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 62
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
.. My work computer is a nice 500MHz P3 with 512MB of ram and about 24GB of HDD running NetBSD and blackbox.

no comments
Reply With Quote
  #42 (permalink)  
Old April 30, 2010, 04:51 PM
m1dget's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Terrebonne, Qc
Posts: 707

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
no comments
On that, this thread is pretty interesting, could you please not start a useless flamewar and keep insulting me in PM? You're doing great and this thread doesn't deserve that.
__________________
"NIX is a classic example of security through obscurity because there is no real monetary reward for crackers and hackers to break Linix" -AkG
Reply With Quote
  #43 (permalink)  
Old April 30, 2010, 04:54 PM
SneakySnake's Avatar
MVP
F@H
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Waterloo
Posts: 296

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Yup you are certainly right that they did support it for a couple years. Maybe its just my POV but 5 yrs doesnt seem like enough time to be taken seriously. It would have been easy enough to include it via an optional download or install instead of out right breakage. For example I still use Word 2003. If it had been on a MAC...I would be forced to upgrade to that ribbon crap (I've come to terms with it in excel...but cant stand it in word). Thats a bad example but sorta is where I come from. :)

Edit:
And I have to say this is probably one of the best Mac discussions to happen on HWC in a long time. Very little fanboi (both sides) and lots of honest discussion w/ wildly varied POVs.
I agree, I haven't had a discussion as good as this is a while.

I guess my problem is that I haven't been around computers for long enough to see the full effects of a company not supported old tech and apps.
Reply With Quote
  #44 (permalink)  
Old April 30, 2010, 04:56 PM
H2O H2O is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 62
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
.......could you please not start a useless flamewar and keep insulting me in PM?

So you like to flame MS, but you don't like when we throw you back the stone

You say I'm one of the stupid that get manipulate by the marketing strategy of MS, and you want I stay nice with you ...... sorry guy as Tony Soprano say... "you want respect, you give respect."
Reply With Quote
  #45 (permalink)  
Old April 30, 2010, 05:07 PM
m1dget's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Terrebonne, Qc
Posts: 707

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
So you like to flame MS, but you don't like when we throw you back the stone

You say I'm one of the stupid that get manipulate by the marketing strategy of MS, and you want I stay nice with you ...... sorry guy as Tony Soprano say... "you want respect, you give respect."
Why would I give respect to somebody who just sent me 3 pm back to back just to insult me because he couldn't be part of a thread with an intelligent discussion?

for crying out loud...
__________________
"NIX is a classic example of security through obscurity because there is no real monetary reward for crackers and hackers to break Linix" -AkG
Reply With Quote
  #46 (permalink)  
Old April 30, 2010, 05:15 PM
AkG's Avatar
AkG AkG is offline
Hardware Canucks Reviewer
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,392
Default

Guys you are going to derail this thread if that keeps up. :(

Lets all turn the snark-o-meter down from 11 to maybe a 3. I've done the same and have modified my stance to minimize my number of "sheeple" comments and maximize the flow of information. All sides have good points, and both camps have their pros and cons. Lets not ruin what is turned into a good thing with BS.

Sound fair?
__________________
"If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe." -JR

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Reply With Quote
  #47 (permalink)  
Old April 30, 2010, 05:19 PM
Soultribunal's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 8,068

My System Specs

Default

Thread Re-Opened.

Keep it civil.
__________________




"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com

Last edited by Soultribunal; April 30, 2010 at 06:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #48 (permalink)  
Old April 30, 2010, 08:16 PM
belgolas's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: St. Thomas, Ontario
Posts: 3,954

My System Specs

Default

Well check this video out.

The Daily Show with Jon Stewart : Full Episodes

Even John Stewart rants on Apple.
__________________

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Reply With Quote
  #49 (permalink)  
Old April 30, 2010, 08:19 PM
Jake_HT's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 1,987

My System Specs

Default

I don't know why these arguments always show up. MS is better for the majority of the world, it shows in their MUCH larger market share. People want more value for their money, which is exactly what Apple is not.

I don't like Mac cause I can do more for less with my windows PC... I'm not a programmer, neither is like 99.99% of the world.. so how is that argument relevant to how good overall an operating system is?

Certain things are good for certain things. For a home/student PC/laptop at a good price, Apple just doesn't quite make sense. Which is why it is how it is.
__________________
http://jakeht.deviantart.com/
Reply With Quote
  #50 (permalink)  
Old April 30, 2010, 10:01 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 5,415

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
Supporting it simply means that they don't drop the technology, which they didn't do until recently.
And again, recently is -way- later than what they should have done.
Support means if someone has a problem, they complain to you and you fix it. Microsoft did not support 16-bit software. They just left compatibility with it in their OS, because there is no reason to take it out if it works (why remove functionality? That's something Apple does, not Microsoft.). Just because something works doesn't mean it is supported. If you have a laptop that still works but is out of warranty, it's the same concept. It works and you can use it, but if something goes wrong, it's your problem, not the manufacturer's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
For your moms mac mini, one simple answer for you: Get it to a repair specialist. Those guys exist for a reason.
Why should he pay for something he should be able to fix himself? If I have a problem on my PC, I do some research and I figure out how to fix it. No reason why he should have to pay someone to fix a Mac rather than doing the same thing.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes